Brittle Ends!

Ipanema

Does anyone have any ideas on what to put on brittle ends to make them feel soft & smooth. I did a Hennalucent treatment, and my hair is soft, except for the last inch. I looked at the ends closely, and they are not split or knotted--they're just hard & dry-looking. I tried deep conditioning with cholesterol mixed with olive oil. Then I did a 2-minute conditioner after washing that out. Then I used curl activator spray, and cornrowed my hair up for a braid-out. Well, after taking the cornrows out, it's the same thing. Soft, smooth hair right up until the last inch or so. I really don't want to cut a whole inch from my ends, especially when they're not split or knotted, but my braid-out doesn't look as good as it could. Any advice?

JenJen2721

Perhaps you need another moisturizer on your ends that coats them a little thicker than the curl activator spray. Perhaps, spritzing a little water on your ends before applying your favorite moisturizer. I like to use a thick moisturizer on wet hair. My favorite is John Frieda's Moisture Remedy Balm.

I think any thick moisturizer on your ends while they are wet will probably do the trick. Your ends should be soft once your hair dries.

debyjay

Hi Ipanema, I had that problem and I fixed it by first spraying my ends with water then applying s-curl and finally sealing it with mango butter resulting in soft smooth shiny ends. I did this with my twist out.

AnjelLuvs

do u curl you ends with a magnetic roller

I do this braid all the way down to end leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch is still unbraided then set the hair in rollers and they come out all curly

Ipanema

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll try wetting the ends & then applying something a little heavier. I really don't know what's going on with these ends. They seem water-resistant. When I wet my hair, the water just beads up.

And AngelLuvsUBabe, I haven't been curling the ends with anything. I'll try smoothing them over a rod or roller next time.

NGC

Try a daily moisturizing conditioner that is a little thick. I use Back to Basics Green Tea. My hair was trimmed Sunday and then put in cornrows. When I took the cornrows down my ends were very brittle.

I used the B2B once in the morning of the take down and then once in the evening (over night mixed with Olive Oil) and my hair (including ends) was soft the next morning after rinsing out.

HTH

Babygurl

Im also a fan of Mango butter...my ends were terribly hard and brittle. I tried mango butter (thanks to the ladies on the board) and my ends stay so soft and smooth

jada1111

I like Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey (http://carolsdaughter.com) on dry hair for braidouts and KemyOyl Shea Butter Pomade on wet/damp hair for braidouts. Both of these products do an excellent job of keeping hair (including ends) soft and shiny (especially KemyOyl pomade). I still have Natures Blessings, but I've only used it on dry hair and I'm not loving the results like with the other two. Maybe I'll try it on wet hair to see what happens.

Another good product that I like and only use on dry hair for braidouts is Aveda Universal Brilliant Styling Creme. It's a bit pricey, but I love the scent and it also gives the hair great softness and sheen.

HTH!

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
I like Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey (http://carolsdaughter.com) on dry hair for braidouts and KemyOyl Shea Butter Pomade on wet/damp hair for braidouts. Both of these products do an excellent job of keeping hair (including ends) soft and shiny (especially KemyOyl pomade). I still have Natures Blessings, but I've only used it on dry hair and I'm not loving the results like with the other two. Maybe I'll try it on wet hair to see what happens.

Another good product that I like and only use on dry hair for braidouts is Aveda Universal Brilliant Styling Creme. It's a bit pricey, but I love the scent and it also gives the hair great softness and sheen.

HTH!

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA with everything that you said. I LOVE
kemi oyl pomade. It works very well on natural hair.

ThursdayGirl

could it be product build up? you said the water beads up on the ends. That sounds like there's something on the outside keeping things from penetrating....
maybe some of those cones people rave about. Maybe next time you wash you should try clarifying... and then putting the other stuff on.

Laginappe

I've been battling with dry ends for awhile and I stumbled across something that's really working well for me. I tried a TIGI knockoff product at Sally's called Beyond The Zone Hair 911 Split End Mender (Note - the picture displayed on the site is different from the bottle I purchased. The bottle I purchased looks more like the actual Tigi product so I'm thinking that they're changing the packaging to match the product they're knocking off.

Its a really nice creamy leave-in. And its got glycerin which I discovered is a key ingredient for my hair health. I combine a dime size amount of this with a dime size amount of Profectiv (the one in the pink bottle) and smooth it over my ends. My hair is loving it. My ends are very soft and I'm not getting the breakage I was before. My hair was breaking all the time from my ponytail holder - and I'm using the hosiery ones by Goody. Everytime I'd use them I'd see little bits of breakage once I took my hair down. Now since I've been using this product combination the holder comes out with not nary a hair broken!

Victorian

old head
I like profectiv healthy ends. It's really thick so a little goes a long way. I add a couple drops of olive oil in my palm with the leave-in and that makes it a little easier to apply and seems to really make my hair moisturized

Ipanema

[ QUOTE ]
could it be product build up? you said the water beads up on the ends. That sounds like there's something on the outside keeping things from penetrating....
maybe some of those cones people rave about. Maybe next time you wash you should try clarifying... and then putting the other stuff on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if product build-up causes the ends to feel hard & look dull, then that's my problem right there.

NYCITY

I use either:
Shea Butter
African Pride Castor and Mink Oil (esp. around perm time)
or Dudleys PCA (love this too)