Ends Advice

what type of relaxer do you use?

• Total voters

Tai

When I got my blowout last week, I was told that I needed to get my ends trimmed. What she showed me was about a 1/2 inch. At first, I agreed. Since my last trim, I had used heat a couple of weeks (once a week) before going to a no direct heat regimin until the blowout so I thought there could be some splits & my hair is known to split easily.
Then I decided to actually go through my ends to check for splits. To my surprise, I don't see any split ends.
Now my ends, aren't even, meaning that if I hold out a section, they are not all in line. But they're not split.
Does anyone just get their ends clipped to even things out or to prevent splits before they happen? My thought right now is to *not* get any trims until I actually see splits, even if my ends are not even. Does anyone else do this?

TIA

NubianAngel

Try asking your stylist what exactly is wrong with your ends. Maybe she sees splits that you dont, or maybe she just thinks it would look better even. If the reason is the latter then you can decide if it's worth it for you to get a trim based on your preference.

katie

I usually get trims to even up my hair.I don't think I get splits so it usually isnt much of a trim.Just about 1/8 -1/4 inch

Lovelylocs

I only trim when my hair looks really raggedy. I have found that if you trim whenever your hair looks uneven or if you trim after every relaxer it takes to long to see the results.

Tai

She didn't say she saw splits; she just said I could use a trim. I know theory holds that if your ends are even your curls hold better. Even with fresh cut ends, curls don't hold in my hair.
Thanks for the advice.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
...I know theory holds that if your ends are even your curls hold better.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about this reason. I also trim if I want my hair to hold curl longer and it always works for me. Even if I trim the smallest amount.

Tai

That doesn't work for me. The only way curls last more than a couple hours for me is if I use oil on my ends, which I don't do because I love
hair that flows and bounces and use heavy duty hairspray/spritz, which I also don't do because I like to have touchable hair. I've just resigned myself to not have curls unless I'm doing a wash n go or spiral set. Even with the spirals by the next day, they turn into waves.

Shawn

Some time ago, I read that actual split ends are microscopic and that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Therefore, I cannot say that I trim when I see split ends. What I can say is that I trim when I think my ends look raggedy.

inthepink

I like to keep my hair even and split free. I haven't had a trim since late December and will be getting one in about 2 weeks. I don't have any split ends but I want to prevent any that may be on the horizon and make sure my hair is staying even for a nice appearance.

Ayeshia

i dont plan to trim again for a year. i may do a small amount of dusting but nuthing more than 1/4". i dont use heat or comb my hair very often so trimming is not really necessary right now. I do however have a feeling that i will have to trim the back more than the front because it grows really fast.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Your ends look amazing, Hairlove. What do you do to keep them so lush looking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Tai. Well, I started off with a good trim. I keep my ends moisturized and don't use heat. Really that's it.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
I wonder how long I can go without *NEEDING* a trim?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont use abundant amounts of heat, little manipulation, keeping ends moisturized and you could go for a loooong time! I plan to not trim until April 2005

jainygirl

i snip if i see a split, but i only snip the one hair. now if i saw that it had some friends (more split hairs) then i would dust my ends.

blue_flower

I'm supposed to get a trim sometime this month, but I'm going to hold out because I haven't seen a lot of splits. I'll just be dusting.

L

lkg4healthyhair

Lovelylocs said:
I only trim when my hair looks really raggedy. I have found that if you trim whenever your hair looks uneven or if you trim after every relaxer it takes to long to see the results.

I feel the same way as lovelylocs

controlFreak

i trim every 4 months. i find it hard to identify splits when my hair is styled, because i use redken clear moisture moist ends mixed with serum on my ends (sometimes tigi ego boost) daily. If i do have splits, this usually seals them (not repair) preventing more damage till i trim.

I trim when my ends start looking ragged and 'bushy', regardless if they are split or not. I try to stay one step ahead of them and trim (not too much) every 8 to 12 weeks.

Mizani_Mrs

i used to get my ends trimmed after every 6wk relaxer. Now that i read cathy howe's book i understand that trims don't 'make ' your hair grow. and being that i don't wear my hair flat-ironed anymore, the need for perfectly even hair is not necessary. i usually wear curls or a pony. so with that being said...i haven't had a trim in 6months. I rarely see split ends. if u have bushy ends...then ask your stylist to use an end treatment....cutting it off is not ALWAYS the right answer. which they like you to believe.

Jewell

Although I voted for trimming to even up my hair whether the ends are split or not, I usually only trim when my ends are obviously frayed and/or ragged. Usually this happens when they are indeed split. I used to trim every 8 weeks, but I've cut back to twice a year since I don't ever use any heat appliances, and I wear protective styles most of the time. My last trim was in Jan 05...I had 1/4" trimmed. I won't trim again until Dec 05...maybe 1/4"-1/2" if needed.

Jewell

Shawn said:
Some time ago, I read that actual split ends are microscopic and that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Therefore, I cannot say that I trim when I see split ends. What I can say is that I trim when I think my ends look raggedy.

Its not true that split ends are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye. Hair isn't microscopic, so to say the least, if the split is bad enough, you can actually see the end of the individual hair is split in two, or split off to the side. :look: