Breakage from weaving

SummerSolstice

How do you avoid Breakage from weaving

For some reason, sew-ins on my hair cause me more breakage than growth. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I do my cornrows straight back on blow dried hair with no added hair. Someone I know told me that sewing the track onto your own hair causes breakage, but I have seen success using that method as well.
How do you guys retain growth while you are sewn in...

Last edited:

jenaccess

I went through the same thing with my hair and I cant were the small cornrows, I have to have large cornrows with added hair to protect the ends. Also I cant use the hair weaving thread it is to heavy and it cut through my hair. I use the regular threads use for sewing fabrics. I also keep the hair underneath moisturize. this is what is now woking for me

J-Moe

Yes, I do like the larger cornrows as well, I always use a net, and make sure that I attempt to comb as much dead hair out as possible before I DC on dry hair.. I do this in order to gain as much slip as possible then I wash.... But my hair will lock up on me but I take my time & let the conditioner sit on for a couple hrs before & after the wash.... HTH........

hair4romheaven

I went through the same thing with my hair and I cant were the small cornrows, I have to have large cornrows with added hair to protect the ends. Also I cant use the hair weaving thread it is to heavy and it cut through my hair. I use the regular threads use for sewing fabrics. I also keep the hair underneath moisturize. this is what is now woking for me

I always wondered if the bolded will work. It has always been a thought in my head. i am glad to hear someone uses it an it works. I also wondered about sil thread. :rolleyes:

Kneechay

Hey Foodie!!

How are you caring for your sew in? Are you moisturizing well after washes? I also want to know if the breakage is in a certain area. If so, then THAT may be where you need to concentrate on.

My stylist uses a sort of beehive pattern and leaves my edges out to blend. She uses a little braiding hair to braid the tail end of my hair track braid for the last 3 or 4 inches. I wash weekly and put loads of oils/butters on my scalp and braid before I dry and style

ms.blue

I used to get less breakage when using added hair. Also if I wore a weave for two months, I will only get it tighten once around the fourth week. I'll wash in between the braids every two weeks w/ a mixture of shampoo & conditioner and use a regular conditioner as a leave-in. I'll spritz my hair w/ water & glycerin so during take down time it was not bad.

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

Need more info on where the breakage is and the current condition of your hair. Where is the breakage? How long are you leaving your sew ins for? Do you do protein treatments before you do a sew in? Was your hair breaking before you installed the sew in?

SummerSolstice

Hey Foodie!!

How are you caring for your sew in? Are you moisturizing well after washes? I also want to know if the breakage is in a certain area. If so, then THAT may be where you need to concentrate on.

My stylist uses a sort of beehive pattern and leaves my edges out to blend. She uses a little braiding hair to braid the tail end of my hair track braid for the last 3 or 4 inches. I wash weekly and put loads of oils/butters on my scalp and braid before I dry and style

Hey! I was hoping you'd come in here, I've been all over that fotki and I'm tryna get like you right before my next bkt...

Anyways, the last time I did it I don't think I touched my scalp at all honestly. My breakage was at the crown, and then my length was uneven, the right side being about an inch longer than the left. I spoke with my teacher about braiding straight back and then tucking the braids under by sewing them... I think that may have been a problem. But she in all of her infinite wisdom said that shouldn't have broken my hair.
My braids were really tiny also. I had about 20. Maybe I'll do the beehive pattern with a net next time?

Need more info on where the breakage is and the current condition of your hair. Where is the breakage? How long are you leaving your sew ins for? Do you do protein treatments before you do a sew in? Was your hair breaking before you installed the sew in?

I left them in for a month and 1/2 and I know I didnt do any treatments before, I just deep conditioned with motions and blowdried. My hair was slightly weaker b/c I had been coloring it. Now my hair is almost all virgin except for my highlights in the front which i would leave out. I put where the breakage was above ^^^

Should I not blowdry next time?

Ese88

you may want to add a little extra hair when doing your braid pattern. Not alot but just enough to reinforce your own hair so there is less damage done when sewing through etc.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i wear weaves for growth about 6 months out of the year, most years for the last 3 years. one year i wore the weave the whole year to grow out some damage.

this is what helps me:

the bee hive pattern, as well as making sure the braids arent tight.

deep condition and moisturize while in the weave.

always use a net. my hair is fine and doesn't like added hair OR thread. so a net saves me.

mimi0410

i wear weaves for growth about 6 months out of the year, most years for the last 3 years. one year i wore the weave the whole year to grow out some damage.

this is what helps me:

the bee hive pattern, as well as making sure the braids arent tight.

deep condition and moisturize while in the weave.

always use a net. my hair is fine and doesn't like added hair OR thread. so a net saves me.

Just curious could you share your deep conditioning and moisturizing while in the weave technique..:yep:

dollface0023

My hair has really grown using sew in's. My stylist does a circular pattern while braiding. She also braids with extra hair and uses a net on top.

While in the sew in I make sure I deep condition at least once every 2 weeks. I also try to moisterize at least 4 times a week using Wave Noveu...and I use Mega Tek on my hair as well...

Kneechay

Hey! I was hoping you'd come in here, I've been all over that fotki and I'm tryna get like you right before my next bkt...

Anyways, the last time I did it I don't think I touched my scalp at all honestly. My breakage was at the crown, and then my length was uneven, the right side being about an inch longer than the left. I spoke with my teacher about braiding straight back and then tucking the braids under by sewing them... I think that may have been a problem. But she in all of her infinite wisdom said that shouldn't have broken my hair.
My braids were really tiny also. I had about 20. Maybe I'll do the beehive pattern with a net next time?

** Overuse of the word "moisturize" coming up**

How much hair are you leaving out? Is the crown left out at all?
I'm sorry I'd probably never suggest a net to anyone.

Breakage is caused by dryness and/or agitation, something is causing your hair to break under the weave. I would say my best guess is that you're not moisturizing good enough or getting the moisturizer at your crown. Before you get the sew in, do a deep treatment and moisturize your hair as much as possible, it's getting sewn up anyway.

Agitation could be from the braiding pattern. I wholeheartedly believe the braiding pattern can affect the condition of your hair after take down. The direction you're brushing your weave hair could be causing breakage on your braids. Get a good paddle brush and when brushing your weave, hold it in a ponytail by sections and brush from bottom up and lean down when brushing the weave by your scalp so you dont too much brush your braid hair too. (i hope this makes sense). Try your BEST to not be letting that paddle brush rake against your braids.

During install, DC when you feel the need and remoisturize. Do your best, to get it in your braided up hair as much as you can, use a squeeze bottle if you need. If the oil/butters get in your weave hair, bend over in the sink and wash it out, no biggie.

I'll always ALWAYS tell people to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. It's the main way to rid yourself of breakage from dryness. I would also invest in some good moisturizing conditioners, moisturizers and shampoos. I'd recommend HE HH and Giovannis Smoothing Moisturizing Shampoo. I LOVE shea butter and I'll warm some up and whip it with coconut, castor, olive, and peppermint oil and rub that bad boy into my scalp, no regrets.

I always stress that while in weaves, we shouldnt forget/ignore our own hair for ANY reason. We tend to think: "Oh, it's weaved up and protected anyway." No ma'am. We're already diligent in our hair care, evident to us being on this site, so dont neglect it for a second because youre in weave.

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

Good advice Nichi. I also wonder what was your regimen BEFORE you put the weaves in. I know you stated that your hair was weaker before because of coloring but what types of things do you do to your hair now?

I do know that if hair is weak before you put the weave in, it will remain that way once you take it out. And you have even more of a problem with the new growth that is coming in growing with the weak hair on the ends. A lot of that time the older hair will just break off.

I would recommend regular protein and moisture treatments to make sure your hair is strong underneath.

Kneechay

Good advice Nichi. I also wonder what was your regimen BEFORE you put the weaves in. I know you stated that your hair was weaker before because of coloring but what types of things do you do to your hair now?

I do know that if hair is weak before you put the weave in, it will remain that way once you take it out. And you have even more of a problem with the new growth that is coming in growing with the weak hair on the ends. A lot of that time the older hair will just break off.

I would recommend regular protein and moisture treatments to make sure your hair is strong underneath.

Thanks, chica.
I have the same regimen before weaving. ive actually never colored my hair. I've rinsed recently but that wasn't before I began weaving.

My hair was natural for a little over 2 years before I began weaving. It was a tad weaker because I flat ironed too much.

To be honest my regimen now is so simple. I'm going into another weave on the 25th, because I think one or two more sew ins and I'll be so close, if not at my goal. I co wash every wednesday and friday and wash with shampoo when I feel like it. Perhaps 2 or three times a month. I slather my hair with a little conditioner and my shea butter mix. I do a twist out, bun, or add a little gel and scrunch and put my ponytail into a banana clip. Quite frankly, I don't have time to do much else, so Im happy to be going into this weave again. I tweak this regimen during install by only washing and moisturizing every Thursday.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Just curious could you share your deep conditioning and moisturizing while in the weave technique..:yep:

sorry sorry sorry sorry i'm late ladies!

Even though i suffered a setback (details in 2009 update album) i feel good about my overall weave care regimen.

For Hair Left Out:

Shampoo: Hairveda Shikkai Shampoo for first lather ; Amla Cream Rinse for second later

Condition: Hairveda Strinillah Conditioner

Leave In: Chi Keratin Spray Leave in (my hair LOVES PROTEIN)

edge care: i use Blended Beauty Light Styling Lotion for moisture and seal with Hairveda Cocasta Oil with peppermint added

I use IC Styling Gel for smoothing edges or Hairveda Whipped Shea Butter Cream

For Extension Hair: (Wagmans Natural Curly):

Shampoo: Hairveda Shikkai

Condition: Hairveda Moisture 24/7 or AVEDA Dry Remedy

Leave In: none

For Braids Underneath:

Shampoo: Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (for extra cleansing of braids)

Condition: Hairveda Moisture 24/7 or Aveda Damage Remedy

Leave In: CHI Keratin Spray

Treatments and Special Care: I always add 10 drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and rosemary oil to my conditioner to cleanse my scalp, stimulate for growth and provide anti fungal properties and kill bacteria. This keeps my scalp from itching also.

I also use ACV rinses between washes to keep my scalp clean and this keeps me from itching as well.

Relaxer - Design Essentials low lye relaxer to texlax my hair every 3 to 6 months or so. leave out (about one inch of left out hair is touched up every 8-10 weeks. my stylist uses protectant to slow processing on the leaveout)

Last edited:

honesty

sorry sorry sorry sorry i'm late ladies!

Even though i suffered a setback (details in 2009 update album) i feel good about my overall weave care regimen.

For Hair Left Out:

Shampoo: Hairveda Shikkai Shampoo for first lather ; Amla Cream Rinse for second later

Condition: Hairveda Strinillah Conditioner

Leave In: Chi Keratin Spray Leave in (my hair LOVES PROTEIN)

edge care: i use Blended Beauty Light Styling Lotion for moisture and seal with Hairveda Cocasta Oil with peppermint added

I use IC Styling Gel for smoothing edges or Hairveda Whipped Shea Butter Cream

For Extension Hair: (Wagmans Natural Curly):

Shampoo: Hairveda Shikkai

Condition: Hairveda Moisture 24/7 or AVEDA Dry Remedy

Leave In: none

For Braids Underneath:

Shampoo: Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (for extra cleansing of braids)

Condition: Hairveda Moisture 24/7 or Aveda Damage Remedy

Leave In: CHI Keratin Spray

Treatments and Special Care: I always add 10 drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and rosemary oil to my conditioner to cleanse my scalp, stimulate for growth and provide anti fungal properties and kill bacteria. This keeps my scalp from itching also.

I also use ACV rinses between washes to keep my scalp clean and this keeps me from itching as well.

Relaxer - Design Essentials low lye relaxer to texlax my hair every 3 to 6 months or so. leave out (about one inch of left out hair is touched up every 8-10 weeks. my stylist uses protectant to slow processing on the leaveout)
I have seen that some people oil their scalp and braid underneath the extensions....but that doesnt that just make you extensions greasy?

I have