Weavers: Is net weaving the best method for protecting your hair?

RabiaElaine

I read this from a Essence article from 2000:

Perhaps that's why many stylists are sticking with traditional sew-in weaves, believing them to be longer-lasting and less damaging to hair. "The classic weave, especially with a protective net, causes far less breakage than methods using glue or wax," says superstar stylist Shirlena Allen, artistic director of 50 North in Beverly Hills. She's found that the health of her clients' hair and scalp has really improved since she began applying a net between the natural hair and the weave. The hair is woven onto the cornrow net, creating a barrier between cornrow and weave. During washing and conditioning, the net prevents the breakage and matting that can occur from handling the fragile area where new growth and cornrow meet.

To keep traditional weaves looking real, special attention should be paid to the natural cornrows beneath the weave. The "bumps" we sometimes see under a weave occur when the cornrows are too fat or aren't complementing the shape of the head. Shirlena also believes the cut is key to a natural-looking fall. She razor-cuts the ends for less blunt-looking weaves, and she pays special attention to her selection of hair (texture and color) to achieve a realistic finish.

Is this true? Is net weaving safer than traditional?

Let me know your experiences with this...Thanks!

aquarian1252004

Of course the braid method whether with a net or not is MUCH less damaging to the hair than using glue or wax. As long as the braids are not too tight. The glue can really mess up your hair, it can thin it out and causes massive breakage. The braid method also lasts a lot longer than the glue.

Healthb4Length

Net weaves are great for people who are experiencing balding, especially in the crown area, this weave covers up that area more so than a regular sew-in. IDK if they are more healthier than reg. sew-ins but I see more and more stylists going this route.

RabiaElaine

Alli77 said:
Net weaves are great for people who are experiencing balding, especially in the crown area, this weave covers up that area more so than a regular sew-in. IDK if they are more healthier than reg. sew-ins but I see more and more stylists going this route.

I'm noticing this too in hair magazines that they are using a net. I'm considering purchasing Ashante's video to learn how to do it the right way.

The reason I'm now interested in weaves is because I braided up my hair this week and it took sooooo long, I had my sister do it for me. I felt so sorry for her, her fingers were cramping...And my hair ain't even long. It is growing though so I have to braid further and further down the braid every time I get it done. I think weaving is my next best option to get through long stretches. Therefore I'm trying to find the best method for weaving my own hair.

Any other opinions on this matter are appreciated.

Healthb4Length

RabiaElaine said:
I'm noticing this too in hair magazines that they are using a net. I'm considering purchasing Ashante's video to learn how to do it the right way.

The reason I'm now interested in weaves is because I braided up my hair this week and it took sooooo long, I had my sister do it for me. I felt so sorry for her, her fingers were cramping...And my hair ain't even long. It is growing though so I have to braid further and further down the braid every time I get it done. I think weaving is my next best option to get through long stretches. Therefore I'm trying to find the best method for weaving my own hair.

Any other opinions on this matter are appreciated.

I'm planning on purchasing the Ashante video too, I understand exactly what you mean about braids taking too long. I hope that his videos are good too.

tada1

Hello ladies :wave:
im getting a weave put in tomorrow and i was just wondering if a net weave would be a better option for me.

i dont have balding problems, but i do want to save time :grin:
did anybody find that this was beneficial for their hair? how did you care for your hair under the net?

TIA
tada1

Chinagem

Anytime I've gotten a sew-in done in the past, my stylist has used a net. She agrees that it's healthier. Also, since I'm natural, it doesn't allow my hair to swell as much after it's been washed.

tada1

Anytime I've gotten a sew-in done in the past, my stylist has used a net. She agrees that it's healthier. Also, since I'm natural, it doesn't allow my hair to swell as much after it's been washed.

thanks Chinagem :flowers:

were the holes in the net big enough for you to wash and condition properly? i like to get my hair wet twice a week, and im just wondering how often id be able to do that with a net gettin in the way :ohwell:

RegaLady

I have a sew in, and I was going to get a net. However, what kept me from getting a net was thinking that I would be unable to moisturize it, and DC it, and actually take care of my hair. :nono: I just got a regular sew-in. I want to take care of my real hair. I would get a net a around my hair line, since I want to relive tention from this area. I personally don't think it is healthier.:nono:

tada1

I have a sew in, and I was going to get a net. However, what kept me from getting a net was thinking that I would be unable to moisturize it, and DC it, and actually take care of my hair. :nono: I just got a regular sew-in. I want to take care of my real hair. I would get a net a around my hair line, since I want to relive tention from this area. I personally don't think it is healthier.:nono:

ooh good point.....okidoke...im getting the regular sew-in then; thanks for the great advice :)

BeautyPoint

My stylist uses a net for my sew-ins. The advantages for me were less tension on my hair and less swelling after shampooing.

The disadvantages were not being able to properly moisture my scalp and scratch my scalp if I needed to. I kept a rattail comb with me at all times.

The article stated there is less matting with the net. I felt there was more for me because I couldn't get inbetween the cornrows to comb the new growth. I never had a matting problem when I got my sew-ins without the net.

motherx2esq

As long as I have gotten weaves I have never experienced damage from them. I have never used a net and I do a lot of my weaves myself. But different things work for different people.

Chinagem

thanks Chinagem :flowers:

were the holes in the net big enough for you to wash and condition properly? i like to get my hair wet twice a week, and im just wondering how often id be able to do that with a net gettin in the way :ohwell:

I always had her wash my hair instead of doing it myself. My scalp was always itchy afterwards; I don't feel as though my scalp was getting clean enough. It seems to really minimize friction, though.