Braids or Twists?

• I usually Braid my hair

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • I usually Twist my hair

Votes: 129 64.8%

• Total voters

nappity

Twists for me!
They can stay in as long or as short as I want and i can do it in a matter of 30 minutes for my whole head.
I used braids to transition-and I wore braids for a year. Its something I prefer my hair stylist to do.

Fine 4s

Low manis work really well for me.

I have to ask you ladies a question though...
I was going out and needed a funky do. I had big chunky twists in (but the kind you do sloppily when you're about to wash your hair) and really did NOT feel like doing much. So I kept them in the back but made the front much smaller to hand like bangs (up to my chin) with a part in the middle and pinned the back ones up.

Later that week, I was supposed to wash them out but got lazy and didn't wash my hair until 2 weeks later. The week I did wash I didn't take the front twists out, still being lazy. The last time I washed my hair (when I had a really bad braiding experience), I noticed a small bald spot in the front!!!!!! Could I have made my twists TOO small? They were not micro size but maybe the size of my pinky nail (im small/petite size) So....WTH happened? I didn't even notice it until I was parting my hair and that darn part was so huge I was like WHAAAA???? In fact, the night I washed my hair, I had let the twists out and still hadn’t notice anything (I kinda have a lot of hair but not like dsylla lol)

Any suggestions on what may have happened? I'm finally going to finish my first bottle of BT (will start with MN with that's done) and now taking multi vits. I think the bald spot is filling up a little but not sure if it's just the fuzz from the cornrows or the losenization (word?) of the rows....In two weeks I'll look again to see if the BT is helping fill the whole in. But I don't understand how, I could have ripped a clump of hair out without really noticing it though. Sometimes I shed more but while shedding bothers me a little I don’t get too upset about it. But how do I know what’s normal and not normal shedding? Maybe that would have helped me figure out what happened.

Bigghair

How long can you keep your twists in for? 2 weeks is my limit

How long can you keep your braids in for? 2 weeks but I have only braided once

What is more versatile for styles? Both are versatile but braiding takes me longer to do and to take down.

Does your regimen change much for the upkeep for either? No

I decide based on how long I want the style to last. Twist are quicker to put in and take out and I usually redo my hair once a week. I can keep braids in for two weeks - but they will start to get fuzzy by week two - braids are for when I don't want to do my hair for a little while longer. My twists always look fuller on me than my braids so for style reasons I usually choose my braids.

Valerie

I use twists, they last me for a week, it is a lot easier for me to do and it takes me about 30 -40 minutes to do my whole head, I rinse daily and tend to smooth down any fizzy bits with aloe gel.

JustKiya

I do twists, and leave them in for two weeks, cowashing/scalp massaging/DC'ing/shikaika washing along the way. If I didn't do all that to my hair, I might leave it in twists longer, but I don't want to run the risk of buildup. I don't do braids, because I'm not patient enough. Twists take me maybe 3 hours to do on my melon head, braids would take at least twice/three times that long.

I find that one 'trick' to insure my two strand twists don't tangle up on each other (I started my locs with TST, and I'm really NOT trying to lock up again!) is that I 'twist' each strand, and then add it to the two strand twist. Gah, it's hard to explain.

You have strand A and strand B, which are the two halfs of the final two strand twist. I take strand A, twirl it/spin it/so that it forms a little rope, and twist around strand B. Then take strand B, twirl it/spin it/so that it forms a little rope, and twist around strand A, and so forth and so on all of the way down. This prevents the two strands from tangling up onto/around each other, because each strand is really it's own little twisted rope.

It also makes taking it down easier, because all I have to do is find the 'gap' between those two strands closest to the root, and pull my finger through it, and the two strands separate. Then, water/condtioner loosens up the twists themselves, and I usually only have to dentangle one or two that managed to 'cross over' somehow.

DeepBluSea

I do twists, and leave them in for two weeks, cowashing/scalp massaging/DC'ing/shikaika washing along the way. If I didn't do all that to my hair, I might leave it in twists longer, but I don't want to run the risk of buildup. I don't do braids, because I'm not patient enough. Twists take me maybe 3 hours to do on my melon head, braids would take at least twice/three times that long.

I find that one 'trick' to insure my two strand twists don't tangle up on each other (I started my locs with TST, and I'm really NOT trying to lock up again!) is that I 'twist' each strand, and then add it to the two strand twist. Gah, it's hard to explain.

You have strand A and strand B, which are the two halfs of the final two strand twist. I take strand A, twirl it/spin it/so that it forms a little rope, and twist around strand B. Then take strand B, twirl it/spin it/so that it forms a little rope, and twist around strand A, and so forth and so on all of the way down. This prevents the two strands from tangling up onto/around each other, because each strand is really it's own little twisted rope.

It also makes taking it down easier, because all I have to do is find the 'gap' between those two strands closest to the root, and pull my finger through it, and the two strands separate. Then, water/condtioner loosens up the twists themselves, and I usually only have to dentangle one or two that managed to 'cross over' somehow.

Thanks for this tip. I'll try it next time I do 2 strand twists. My hair likes to loc as well. Good thing if I ever decide to loc. Bad thing for loose nappy hair.:nono:

anon123

Definitely twists. Braids take me twice as long to put in and like 10 times as long to take out. Maybe I braid incorrectly, but my hair found a way a tangle at the roots and ends in the braids, so I can't even keep them in a long time either because I have to wash weekly. So twists for me. They would stay in as long as I need them to, but I usually keep them in for a week and then take them out to wash or keep them in a week, wash, wait until they dry, then undo them for a twist out for a week. One wash is the max I can do on twists before they start to mesh and loc up. Really zero washes is best.

Chameleonchick

I voted twists, but sometimes I do braids if I have extra time. My twists generally take 4 hours, I keep them in for about three weeks at a time. Its just too easy to stay protected this way.

~~HoneyComb~~

I use twists, they last me for a week, it is a lot easier for me to do and it takes me about 30 -40 minutes to do my whole head, I rinse daily and tend to smooth down any fizzy bits with aloe gel.

I do almost the same thing. I have medium/large sized twists on my head. Each week I cowash with the twists still in, then unravel a twist, brush it out with my denman, then retwist. This results in faster twisting because I already have my hair pre-parted. Each day after until the next cowash, I will spritz with water and lay down my frizzies with aloe gel.

LadyKaypnyc

I usually twist my hair and leave them in for 2 weeks, then rock a twist out for a week...then I clarify.

I love twists b/c they are easy to take out and you can rock a cute twist out for a while after you take em out, so I voted twists:yep:

mscocoface

Depends, if I am adding hair to my own for length then I will do twists. I just don't have the patience to braid hair with extensions. Did that one day and it took me a whole 18 hours to complete it.

In protective styles I do braids because I usually will wash it more often and my twists wants to dread up real quick so instead of me having to take them down every two to three days I will do box braids and twists the last inch or so of the hair.

I have been doing this the last month and I love it, also I don't have to worry about it dreading while in protective mode.

discodumpling

Depends on what i'm going for. Braids will keep for a long time with my texture, but twists only last a week.

I just completetd a set of braids & i'm hoping I don't have to comb my hair until the end of the month!:yep:

almond eyes

Hello Ladies,

Cosigning with all of you. I used to be a fellow twisty too. Now, I braid my hair up every night and unravel in the morning. I find that twists dry out my hair and causes shrinkage. Twist outs only worked for me when I had a texturiser many many rains ago before texturisers were popular. Maybe because I wore extension braids for so long that my hair only has a memory for braids if that sounds funny.

Best,
Almond Eyes

E. Princess

I was a hard core twister before I discovered my love for braids. With twists, I was ready to took them out after 3-5 days. Braids on the other hand, I can keep them for at least two weeks. Thus far, the longest I've left in a set was four weeks. In fact, the pics you see in my siggie I plan to leave in for two months.

honesty

How do you decide if you're going to braid or twist your hair for a protective style.
...honestlly depends on how much time i have on my hands, twists are quicker and i get basically the same look

How long can you keep your twists in for?
I have kept them up to 7 weeks i think

How long can you keep your braids in for?
i have only worn braids in order to do braid-outs, sorry

What is more versatile for styles?
..they are about hte same for me

Does your regimen change much for the upkeep for either?
nope

Can't decide.

gloomgeisha

If I tried to do braids on my head I'd look like Coolio, so I stick with twists.

I normally keep them in for 2-3 weeks and at one point I was keeping them in for a month. The set in my avatar lasted about that long. I then take down, wash, and redo normally within a 2 day period. My regiment hasn't changed in over a year and a half.

I used to be a die hard twister....but I just recently jumped on the braid bandwagon, mostly for protection. BUT, I cannot do teeny, tiny anything (braids or twists)...my braids even now are medium to slightly large.

Netta1

How long can you keep your twists in for?

For about one month (if I don't wash them) often otherwise they will be hard to take down.

How long can you keep your braids in for?

For three months and I can wash freely without them locing.

What is more versatile for styles?

Both

Does your regimen change much for the upkeep for either?

Not really other then what I already mentioned. With twist I can't wash as often if I want to be able to take down my hair.

Last edited:

Pooks

Braids (plaits). They last longer and don't try to loc after a few washes which twists do for me. I rollerset my braids for bounce somedays, have braidouts other days, but mostly I bun them up and just have a fringe out.

Latest set:

Last edited:

Nonie

VeePickni what's your hair type and how often do you wash your hair in braids?

I ask because my 4B hair locks faster in braids than in twists. I couldn't wash it twice a week in braids as I do (w/o extension hair being included in the braid) otherwise, I'd have locs. I've tried it. Even undoing my own hair in braids is more work if extension hair isn't used. It's like the extension hair keeps my strands from hugging up on each other. When I twist, because each strand is twirled to make it a unit separate from the other strand, the hairs are kept from linking up with each other so I don't get locs.

FRESHstart101

well i have braids in and im planning on keeping them in for about 3-4 months only being im in college and dont have time to really do my hair and properly take care on it (im a freshmen) i get TONS of compliments on them, there really long. like WL (haha my goal for my natural hair). but my cousin said she wouldnt do this for me because they took REALLY long to do (7 hours). so after this i plan to just do twist, keep it easy for her lol ... hopefully she'll do it .. and if she does ill leave those in for urrm 3 months ? ..

my regi for my braids:

i spray with s-curl (daily)
apply CO to my hair (daily)
apply Bee Mine Growth serum (daily)
take Biotin (daily or whenever i remember)

i have yet to wash my hair, but it's only been a week 1/2 so ill wash my hair this weekend

Nonie

FRESHstart101 I guess you would know if you're doing something wrong if you didn't like how your hair feels. I personally know that S Curl applied only on the day I wash my hair lasts me all the days until I wash my hair again. I couldn't apply daily. But that doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, but that what works for you would not work for me. So no regimen is bad unless your hair doesn't feel right, in which case, your description of what it is you don't like about it, may help others see what you need tweaking in you regimen. I'm also a crazy hair washer and cannot go more than 3 days w/o washing my hair. Again, not that that's right, but it works for me. There are people who only wash once every 2 weeks, again, coz that's what works for them.

brownbean96

I'm currently in a sew in (all about my hair kinky curly hair) but an gearing up to start wearing protective styles once I'm out of the weave. I'm looking to do twists. I luv the fullness of twists. For the ladies wearing twists, what product(s) do you use for your double strand twists? I was thinking of twisting using a little shescenit hair butter and Oyin burnt sugar pomade?

Nonie

brownbean96, I usually twist without any products in my hair. I'm working on trying to start using products and in particular sealing my ends and I believe I will stick to my beloved S Curl and seal the ends with Vaseline. Maybe I will end up just using both S Curl and Vaseline on just my ends. We'll see....