Braids or Twists 4A/4B naturals

Braids or Twists?

• I usually Braid my hair

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • I usually Twist my hair

Votes: 129 64.8%

• Total voters

seraphinelle

How do you decide if you're going to braid or twist your hair for a protective style.

I'm sitting here, deciding which one to do, :spinning:

How long can you keep your twists in for?

How long can you keep your braids in for?

What is more versatile for styles?

Does your regimen change much for the upkeep for either?

Can't decide.

Snuckles

I always twist my hair.

The twist will stay in as long as I leave them in. I usually wear twist for 1 week and wear a twist out the following week, then wash and start all over again.

I think twists are very versatile. I would think braids would be just as versatile.

caligirl

I prefer individual braids because they look neater longer and show more length. I can keep them in for 2 months.
Twists give a nice curly look but they shrink more and tend to get fuzzy fast. I keep them in about a month.

Twisties

Even though I have been Twisties for years, lately I've been doing the braids. They last longer for me. Even though I have considered locking, I am not there quite yet and my twists for some reason have tried to mesh into within a week and a half of putting them in. I have not had the problem with tangling with braids. I can wash them, do twistouts on the braids to get a crinkly look -- they can last me up to 2 months. Twists I have to take down after two-weeks.

seraphinelle

Even though I have been Twisties for years, lately I've been doing the braids. They last longer for me. Even though I have considered locking, I am not there quite yet and my twists for some reason have tried to mesh into within a week and a half of putting them in. I have not had the problem with tangling with braids. I can wash them, do twistouts on the braids to get a crinkly look -- they can last me up to 2 months. Twists I have to take down after two-weeks.

I saw your name and thought you were going to come in here saying you do twists.

LOL

I think I"ll do braids, because for twists to last for me, I have to braid from the root and then twist.

Now I just have to decide how small I want them to be. As if putting them in is bad, taking them out is even worse.

Do any of you ladies have pictures of your briads? :grin::grin:

seraphinelle

:grin::grin::grin:

Cali girl, I just went to stalk your fotki.

Your braids were amazing, did that really only take you 6 hours? My goodness!!

natstar

I'll do twists (smaller ones) and they can last me one to two weeks. At two weeks I like to wash no matter what-and I don't wash with my twists in. I like to braid my twists for a protective style since it hides my ends even more.

Here's an example-

[URL=http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pimg0299ir4.jpg][IMG]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7782/pimg0299ir4.th.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

caligirl

:grin::grin::grin:

Cali girl, I just went to stalk your fotki.

Your braids were amazing, did that really only take you 6 hours? My goodness!!

Thanks! I got them done by a lady who was from Ethiopia. She said back home all the ladies now how to "plait." She did it in 6 hours like it was nothing!

Twisties

I saw your name and thought you were going to come in here saying you do twists.

LOL

I think I"ll do braids, because for twists to last for me, I have to braid from the root and then twist.

Now I just have to decide how small I want them to be. As if putting them in is bad, taking them out is even worse.

Do any of you ladies have pictures of your briads? :grin::grin:

I know it's getting kind of funny now that I have switched to braids, but I swear, two-strand twists was the first style I learned outside of the puff and it saved my natural hair. I do wear them but when I want to do a long-term hassle free style, I do braids.

I am so bad, no pictures. Been working on that for YEARs:perplexed. I have some photos in a folder somewhere that I am suppose to scan and create this whole fotki thingy. I am too old for this and too lazy. :grin::look:

I am getting my hair plaited for October and November and I will take an updated picture. I will attempt to wear it straight in December:look: since it will be cold and therefore less chance of immediate reverting.

But yes, try almost sized micro braids and see how that works for you. I will admit it takes a while to get them out when you're ready to restyle, but 2 months of freedom is worth it.:yep: I think shops charged about $60-80 depending on your location for braids without extensions.

Last edited:

meaganita

I usually go with braids since my hair has a tendency to lock up in looser styles. Twists are too loose for my hair. Plus I can leave the braids in longer.

Incredible1ne

I used to twist but for the last two months I've been braiding. They last longer and I can even wash and deep condition without redoing them. I could never do that with twist.

specialk1878

I almost always braid. I've only twisted a couple of times and eventhough it's quicker and easier to do twists, I prefer the braids. They are sturdier and my twist always seem to unravel...:perplexed

Poobity

I'm in the midst of doing almost microsized braids on my natural hair. I was going to do twists, but I need a style that can last for several weeks and my hair won't threaten to lock. I'm only halfway done.......*sigh*

seraphinelle

I have just finished my braids, my hair is soooo short,

But oh well, this style will last for a long time, definitely, I've done them small enough.

@poobity
When doing them that small, how do you manage to take them out? That's what makes me think twice about doing them in the first place.

Thanks ladies for your opinions.

But where are the pics?

Kookie

Wow....I'm actually surprised to see that so many people can relate to the same problems I have with twists.....They end up locking VERY quickly--and especially the longer my hair gets.....? Twists on my hair tend to get really frizzy FFFASSTT!!! And upon take down a week or two later....they have already tried to lock up on me......

Even FLAT twists....are problematic for me---I prefer cornrows instead.
I think twists and flat twists are good as temporary styles--or as a quick change up. But if I am going to spend 6+ hours doing my hair....I want them to LAST! I'm far too lazy and not enuf time to redo miniature twists each week.... :nono:

I thought it was just my hair that couldn't handle twists......glad to see I'm not alone.
- Funny though....I wonder why it seemed that my hair could hold up in twists better previously/when I first went natural.....***shrugs***

Poobity

@poobity
When doing them that small, how do you manage to take them out? That's what makes me think twice about doing them in the first place.

With a lot of patience, lol. But seriously, I saturate my hair with braid spray or a leave-in conditioner and unravel the hair with a hair pin.

DeepBluSea

I voted for twists. My hair is about 3.5-4 inches long, so twists are easier to do at this stage. I can wear them about 5 days before they get too fuzzy. Then I wear a twistout fro for about 3 days.

Twisties

Wow....I'm actually surprised to see that so many people can relate to the same problems I have with twists.....They end up locking VERY quickly--and especially the longer my hair gets.....? Twists on my hair tend to get really frizzy FFFASSTT!!! And upon take down a week or two later....they have already tried to lock up on me......

Even FLAT twists....are problematic for me---I prefer cornrows instead.
I think twists and flat twists are good as temporary styles--or as a quick change up. But if I am going to spend 6+ hours doing my hair....I want them to LAST! I'm far too lazy and not enuf time to redo miniature twists each week.... :nono:

I thought it was just my hair that couldn't handle twists......glad to see I'm not alone.
- Funny though....I wonder why it seemed that my hair could hold up in twists better previously/when I first went natural.....***shrugs***

Well, the young lady who does my twists told me it's sort of like wearing a part in the same place all the time -- eventually your hair will develop an almost permanent part if it is not changed up every one and then. She said your hair "remembers" the style (for lack of a better description). She also told me I had some good hair for locking and I agree:yep:. This head of hair wants to lock. :grin:

angellazette

I always twist my hair. The few times I tried to braid, the parts came out all big so I never did it again. All these posts about braids lasting longer and showing more length are making me want to try braiding again because my twists do shrink and frizz up like nobody's business!

Kookie

Well, the young lady who does my twists told me it's sort of like wearing a part in the same place all the time -- eventually your hair will develop an almost permanent part if it is not changed up every one and then. She said your hair "remembers" the style (for lack of a better description). She also told me I had some good hair for locking and I agree:yep:. This head of hair wants to lock. :grin:

I definitely believe I have great hair for locking too....I'm amazed at how fast my strands want to stick together!
And just think---Some people have to wait months before their strands lock....:ohwell:

I remember when I tried a sew in weave---and left it in for about 2 months (or a little less)....while moisturizing the hair underneath......upon take down---my hair had started to LOCK....what a nightmare it was taking that down.

From that experience, I just learned that .... my hair doesn't like to be left alone for long periods of time (that is...not unless I'm ready to lock).

At the same time.....I hear about "over manipulation" of the hair....and wonder if I do "too much" by touching my hair "too often"???

Man, I wish I could leave my hair alone for a month (or more) at a time........:look:

Soliel185

I like braids - I can wash and wet them no problems and they stay neater longer. Also I have 4a hair and if I twist and forget about it it'll start to loc. I had comb twists once, and I was just terrified that touching them at all would make them unravel. Now that I have relaxed hair and I'm stretching, I don't think the twists would hold very well long term and I don't want to pay to have them redone every two wks.

Guapa1

The search button is amazing! I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I want to do micro twists and done a little search and found this! I'm leaning towards braids but the takedown is a nightmare! Everytime I do them I swear never again... Yet I always find myself contemplating them.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I do twists because they are easier and quicker for me to do.

My hair shrinks and frizzes in twists and in braids, so I can never avoid shrinkage and frizzing.

CORBINS

I also twist my hair. I like twist because they are easier to do and easier to remove, they make my hair look fuller also.

Guapa1

I did the braids. They are not coming out until December!

That's the size of them. I don't have a clear picture of the front yet as my batteries died in my camera. I have some camera phone ones in my album but they aren't very clear.

cocosweet

I'm having the same dilemma. I usually do twists because touching them up and taking them down is so easy compared to braids. However, if I put braids in the style will last longer before starting to look funky. I want my style to last through Thanksgiving.

lipyt

I prefer individual braids because they look neater longer and show more length. I can keep them in for 2 months.
Twists give a nice curly look but they shrink more and tend to get fuzzy fast. I keep them in about a month.
I agree I'm a braid gurl too! I need to see some length..plus I stink at twists! Just ask artemis!:nono:

lipyt

I always twist my hair. The few times I tried to braid, the parts came out all big so I never did it again. All these posts about braids lasting longer and showing more length are making me want to try braiding again because my twists do shrink and frizz up like nobody's business!
Your twists look so plump and juicy! I'm about to check your fotki later...