Braid disaster-need advice

dbachick74

I am so upset right now, I could cry. About two years ago, I had a bad experience with a hairdresser who caused my then past shoulder length hair to thin horribly to the point where there was no point in keeping the ends so I cut my hair to about 4 inches all around and started over. In the past two years I grew my hair back out this time reaching armpit length and was so excited about my journey to BSL. I decided to try the crown and glory method in an effort to speed up this process because in the past my hair has responded very well to braid extensions. However, this time, when I took the braids down as I usually do, I washed my hair (per the C&G method) which caused horrible tangling and matting as I had not had a relaxer in 11 weeks and I have 4something hair. Anyway, long story short, I ended up going to JC Penney to get it detangled where the stylists (3 of them) took over 2 hours to detangle my then thick armpit length hair which has now been reduced to extremely thin slightly above arm pit length mess. I cannot believe that all of my hard work and diligence in caring for my hair has been undone in a matter of hours. I am primarily upset because I don't think I had to loose as much hair as I did in the detangling process and would not have if the stylists had even remotely tried to listen to me when I repeatedly asked them not to try to detangle my hair by combing from root to tip in one stroke or not to use a rattail fine-tooth comb on my 11 week post hair. No, none of my requests were acknowledged. Unfortunately, I had few options. The good thing about it is that my hair will grow back and maybe even healthier than before. I guess I want to get some feedback from you ladies, especially those of you who have experienced setbacks on the best way to get the thickness back. I was thinking of getting a braid in weave just in the middle and wearing it in a bun or ponytail at all times between relaxers. I am wondering if this will help my hair grow or be more damaging. What do you all think? If not the weave, a better alternative?

Last edited:
You did have an option, tell them to stop then leave the premises. But, since that part is over and done with how about next time you detangle it yourself. Only you can give your hair the TLC it and you deserve. With a lot of slippy conditioner and sections in your hair along with a denmen of goody knockoff, you can save yourself from the hair destruction foisted on you by uncaring stylist.

I says that was my only option because I spent 4 hours the previous day trying to detangle only to have my hair lock back up on me immediately. I had everything in my hair and nothing seemed to be working. However, thanks for the response. Still trying to figure out if I should do the weave thing though.

Doing the weave thing sounds good if a break from your hair is what you need. However, that does not negate the fact that your hair will have to be detangled afterward.

-Side note: If you do use conditioner along with many section, it might be helpful to braid the sections immediately afterward to prevent tangles. HTH

I say go for the weave. BTW what kind of "hair" did you use, synthentic, human, or your own? I agree on using plenty of conditioner (let it sit in your hair for about 10 minutes so the conditioner can penetrate the hair to make detangling easier) and a wide tooth comb.

No one is going to handle your hair as gently as you. I don't care how knotted up/matted my hair is. If it takes me two weeks to detangle my hair I will (it usually takes two hours). I divide my hair into 14 sections. On each section I spray water and rub in some conditioner. Then I go thru the section with my K Cutter comb.

I used synthetic hair and only had my braids in for 5 weeks. I have learned a valuable lesson from all of this and will definitely do things differently should this ever come up again. For one, I will not wash my hair, I will just relax right away. I do think I am going to wait until two weeks after I get my relaxer before getting the weave sewn in.

When I wear braids, I usually don't apply any oil to the hair. I lightly oil my scalp every three days with whatever (sunflower, safflower, advocado oil etc.) When I take my braids out I know my hair needs oil more than anything else because it hasn't had any in two months. That works for me when detangling out of braided extensions. (Shampooing is a whole notha' story).

I am sorry you have suffered a great deal of hair loss in the past, but the ladies are right. No one will be as gentle with your hair as you can be. Maybe you should give the weaves and things a break and get to know your hair. ( I am still learning). HTH.

I've had a similar experience. I didn't pay for it but I had a 'friend' help me take down and comb out my hair after braids once. I don't know if she was being subtlely evil or if she's was just clueless (her hair's not healthy) but the girl raked throught my hair with a comb without detangling the matted knots on top first. I was young (18), hair clueless and didn't want to offend my friend who thought of herself of a stylist so I let it happen. Now, I almost alway detangle myself and I watch like a hawk anyone who does it for me. But that's over now- now you know and knowing is half the battle. As for dealing, I'd lay off the fake hair myself or try a lacefront wig if it's a must.

i dont understand y your hair matted that way...did you really comb out all of the knots and shed hair before you washed it...i ask because i have not had a relaxer in months and when i take out my braids or weave..i comb it thru really good and then wash it..i dont have a problem..im hoping that was not the case..if so..next time comb it out really good before washing..or even try conditioner to detangle..but no water..until its fully detangled..also..what i do is when i take down braids..i comb out each one after taking it out..so take out the braid..then comb out the hair, so on and so on..that way, when ur whole head is taken out u have less to no knots to detangle b/c, u have already done so after each braid..then give a few combs to get rid of the shed hair thats left..it takes longer but you save your self from the pain of detanaling the whole head at one time...im sorry this happned to you...

I'm sorry this happened to you. I feel your pain.
I went and got a relaxer yesterday and because I was 16 weeks post relaxer I had a lot of 4a/b new growth. I was only really combing when I washed my hair so there was a lot of shedding. Not as bad as coming out of braids, but it was enough. During the wash the stylist was gathering my hair on my head causing more tangles. I didn't realize this at the time though. Afterwards the stylist was trying to rip through my hair with a fine tooth comb. :eek: I grabbed some of my tangled hair and worked some of the knots out myself with my fingers saving some of my hair. I would have walked out, but my husband was performing in a jazz festival within hours so I had to get cute quick. I had about half an inch trimmed because my hair was looking thin. I won't be going back to that stylist again. I'll probably keep the same length- just past my shoulders- and allow my hair time to thicken up by cutting the thin longer parts as they grow.
Don't worry. Things will be ok!

were you trying to detangle wet or dry? I ask because I find it's MUCH easier to detangle wet hair than dry hair.

Sorry that this happenned to you. My advice is to use sulfur 8 braid spray when your hair is braided. Once you take you braids out you shouldn't have any built up at the root. The spray seems to keep the roots moisturized, which in turn keeps the hair moisturized. I then suggest that you detangle your hair as you take the braids out and plait the detangled hair into several sections, then wash.

I'm in the process of taking my braids out now and the braid spray has left my hair with no build up at the root and the roots feel moisturized. I'm 9 weeks post. This is my second time using the braid spray and I have had great results both times. No tangles. HTH

asummertyme said:
i dont understand y your hair matted that way...did you really comb out all of the knots and shed hair before you washed it...i ask because i have not had a relaxer in months and when i take out my braids or weave..i comb it thru really good and then wash it..i dont have a problem..im hoping that was not the case..if so..next time comb it out really good before washing..or even try conditioner to detangle..but no water..until its fully detangled..also..what i do is when i take down braids..i comb out each one after taking it out..so take out the braid..then comb out the hair, so on and so on..that way, when ur whole head is taken out u have less to no knots to detangle b/c, u have already done so after each braid..then give a few combs to get rid of the shed hair thats left..it takes longer but you save your self from the pain of detanaling the whole head at one time...im sorry this happned to you...
I was going to ask the very same question. The no water before it is fully detangled is key!!

I a so sorry this happened. I hope that you are able to get your hair back to the same length and thickness. Just give your hair tlc and some time to recoop and you will be fine.

Thank you to all who responded. I did not detangle or comb through before washing. I never do. I usually just get a relaxer right after. I do not wear braids often. Probably once a year and never for longer than 6 weeks so I am very familiar with my own hair. I have never worn a sew in weave and because my ends are really thin now, I thought adding a few tracks in it would help. I refuse to cut my hair again so it will just have to thicken up over time. If I do wear braids again which I have not ruled out, I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind and be sure to comb out before washing or relaxing.

Back