Box braids - best protective style EVER!

Fine 4s

Ladies,

I ditched the twists for some box braids. I didn't part the sections with a comb, just grabbed and braided. My scalp is well aerated during @ workout and I could apply my MT very easily (I'm still on my first bottle purchased in Oct 2008!).

Yesterday after my work-out I was itching for a co-wash which I rarely do between my end-of-the-week wash days. After I rinsed out the Nourish Spa (from TJs) I squeezed out the excess water, gathered all the small braids to form one big braid in the back and tied my hair down. In the AM, my hair was neatly laying down with minimal fuzzies. Victorious!

Def. on the K.I.S.S....

I have to do an 'out' do this weekend but starting next week, I'm back on this box braids which are much neater and stay put much easier than twists.

*in love*

Last edited:

Nonie

^^ HATE! Your hair is long and beautiful. Boo! :rolleyes:

And did you have to remind me how easy it is for long-haired women to protective style with ends tucked under so that those who have, more will be given and those without...:cry:

And then, and then *heaves* you just had to wear the hairdo I saw on Sonce when her album was open and was hypnotized with love by how beautiful it was, again reminding me I am still a long way from wearing it. :crybaby:

You know what, I'm not even going to tell you that your hair is beautiful, so there!

sunbubbles

Ladies,

I ditched the twists for some box braids. I didn't part the sections with a comb, just grabbed and braided. My scalp is well aerated during @ workout and I could apply my MT very easily (I'm still on my first bottle purchased in Oct 2008!).

Yesterday after my work-out I was itching for a co-wash which I rarely do between my end-of-the-week wash days. After I rinsed out the Nourish Spa (from TJs) I squeezed out the excess water, gathered all the small braids to form one big braid in the back and tied my hair down. In the AM, my hair was neatly laying down with minimal fuzzies. Victorious!

Def. on the K.I.S.S....

I have to do an 'out' do this weekend but starting next week, I'm back on this box braids which are much neater and stay put much easier than twists.

*in love*

Giiiirrrlllll!!! You aint said nuthin but a word!! I LOOVVE my mini box braids!! Im in twist extensions right now, but I plan on going back into a set of mini box braids for the fall/winter!! I love being able to CW everyday, and DC without worryin about always detangling afterwards. AND I got crazy growth retention. The only thing is that with the little ones you have to have patience when taking them out, but I can deal with that since I get 3-4 months of freedom at a time!! Hamira leaves hers in for even longer than that!! And once they get longer Ill be able to style them more!
Dont get me started, I could talk about how much I love my Box braids for a LOOOOONG time! BLISS!! lol:yep:

Pooks

Your hair is lovely OP!

I love box braids, I just got some tiny ones done yesterday - my hair is just so much easier to deal with like this - I totally have yet to master my loose hair.

Pooks

Giiiirrrlllll!!! You aint said nuthin but a word!! I LOOVVE my mini box braids!! Im in twist extensions right now, but I plan on going back into a set of mini box braids for the fall/winter!! I love being able to CW everyday, and DC without worryin about always detangling afterwards. AND I got crazy growth retention. The only thing is that with the little ones you have to have patience when taking them out, but I can deal with that since I get 3-4 months of freedom at a time!! Hamira leaves hers in for even longer than that!! And once they get longer Ill be able to style them more!
Dont get me started, I could talk about how much I love my Box braids for a LOOOOONG time! BLISS!! lol:yep:

Cosigning on the bolded, when they're small I always take them out over a couple of days, 6 hours to put them in, 6 hours to take them out with care. I never leave mine in for more than 4 weeks though.

sunbubbles

Cosigning on the bolded, when they're small I always take them out over a couple of days, 6 hours to put them in, 6 hours to take them out with care. I never leave mine in for more than 4 weeks though.

You either have speedy gonzalez braiding skills, or Im actually doing MICRO-mini box braids, cause it takes me almost a week to put in and the same to take out! That could be just cause of this massive fluff of stuff on my big ol' head though! LOL:lachen:

ETA: Ya know what I realized the difference! Everybody here knows Im lazy when it comes to my hair and I dont like to be bothered, so thats probably it. I only be workin on it a little each day for fear Ill get frustrated and do a BC :lachen:

Fine 4s

You know what just came to me, the first picture looks VERY familiar to me. I've posted a picture like this in the past! ...let me find it....yep, here it is @ the beginning of the year!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=330871&highlight=

Sorry for the repeat, I’ll only post new styles from now on…I guess I was so in love I got caught up!

BUT…lol…in my defense, these were smaller (I think lol) so MAYBE that’s why in MY mind they were different.

It took me about 1.5 hours to do these 20 + braids so not that small....

Do you DC with the braids in?

MummysGirl

Your hair is so thick and long! And it looks so soft too :yep:

I totally agree with you - it's a great PS.

I just tried box braids (see siggy pic on the right) 3 weeks ago and they are a keeper! I had them in for 2 weeks, cowashed at least 2ce a week and only redid the edges once. It's so nice to be able to cowash and go, love it! I am now seriously considering transitioning for more than a year and using box braids as my main transitioning style.

Pooks

You either have speedy gonzalez braiding skills, or Im actually doing MICRO-mini box braids,

:nono: I have no skills when it comes to doing my own hair in plaits beliieve me, my sister is the one with the skills in this area, thank God for her!

Pooks

Yes Fine4s, I love DCing with my plaits in, works very well as no section of my hair is neglected.

Fine 4s

Mummysgirl,

I'm so happy to hear that your transition is going well AND that box braids contributed!
I don't redo my edges much (these pics are about 2 weeks old with no redo'ing) because I actually like them fuzzy (and others seem to too) and I plan to keep them in for at least one month at a time with no 'out' dos in between. I love the fact that you can do a style within a style. I wish I could cornrow so I could make two big ones on each side of my hair. [McD's song] IIIIIIIIIIIII'm loving it!

Fine 4s

Yes Fine4s, I love DCing with my plaits in, works very well as no section of my hair is neglected.

What about the hair that are inside the braid do they get some condish on them too? That's my biggest concern as I'm obsessed with getting every strand conditioned!

Pooks

What about the hair that are inside the braid do they get some condish on them too? That's my biggest concern as I'm obsessed with getting every strand conditioned!

I just checked out the other thread you posted, your hair really is gorgeous! I usually have my hair plaited pretty small (pics in my fotki - July-Dec HYH folder) so I think all the strands get some lovin.

tallnomad

Beautiful braids. These make me want to ditch my plan for getting twists. I may have to get some box braids and wear for a month or two. Thanks for posting!

Pooks

I prefer plaits to braids because they get fuzzy too easily, and then try to loc on me if I don't take them down after about 2 weeks

anon123

I love your box braids! I have not been as successful with mine. How long did it take you to put them in? How many did you do? How long can you wear them without them tangling or matting?

Fine 4s

I love your box braids! I have not been as successful with mine. How long did it take you to put them in? How many did you do? How long can you wear them without them tangling or matting?

There are about 25 braids and it took me about 1.5-2 hrs to put them in and I can wear them for 6 weeks or so before the need to detangle. Another two weeks and it's bb locs although I could still detangle but it's more difficult. Because these braids aren't tiny it's not that hard to unbraid and care for.....

anon123

There are about 25 braids and it took me about 1.5-2 hrs to put them in and I can wear them for 6 weeks or so before the need to detangle. Another two weeks and it's bb locs although I could still detangle but it's more difficult. Because these braids aren't tiny it's not that hard to unbraid and care for.....

For reals?! Oooo, I want to try. The last time I did box braids it was around50-60 and I told my boss that if I ever put all those tiny braids in my head again he had permission to stab my eyes out.:lachen: It took me 3 days to get them down. But 25 might be doable. I think I can wash at least 3 times before the tangling got too bad, so 3 weeks. When fall comes back, I must give this a try.