Box braids or Senegalese Twists?

4evershika

Hey ladies!

I'm not really a newbie but this is my first thread... I tried searching a while back but I wasn't really finding a thread that asked this question...

So I'm 6 weeks post right now, stretching to 16 wks and I want to either get box braids or senegalese twists w/in the next two weeks b/c it's starting to get hot and I don't want to deal with MY hair right now! I plan on DCing and co-washing 1 time a week and clarifying 1x biweekly...

My question is, which would be better, Senegalese twists or box braids? I like the look of the twists better but would they be able to stand up to all the Dcing and co-washing??

nikki2229

I've never had sengalese twists but I am dying to get them in the summer time.
I like the look more than box braids.

4evershika

Senegalese twists, at least in my experience, are pretty dang durable.

Have you gotten them with the kanekalon hair or the kinky twist type of hair? I've seen them with both and w/ the kanekalon hair I'm just scared they'll start to unravel... but now I'm leaning even more towards the twists thanks to you ladies :spinning:

Nonie

I'm partial to braids. I think they'd be able to stand frequent washes w/o getting messy.

I also don't think either style offers more styling options than the other. I think you'd be able to pull off any style with one as with the other.

kbragg

I did twists on my hair with kanekelon hair and they're pretty sturdy:yep: I prefer twists because I like the look better and are faster to install and remove which is important to a lazy gal like me:lol: What I did is simply started them like regular box braids and then switched from braiding the hair to twisting it about an inch or so (because I would forget to start twisting:lol:) away from the scalp. So I have a good knot/anchor at the base of the twist. I sealed them by taking a small handful of finished braids, braiding a good 5 or so inches of them together and dipping in boiling water for 10 seconds. Next time I will do this for the whole length:yep:

Lady S

Have you gotten them with the kanekalon hair or the kinky twist type of hair? I've seen them with both and w/ the kanekalon hair I'm just scared they'll start to unravel... but now I'm leaning even more towards the twists thanks to you ladies :spinning:

I successfully did them on my own, non-extensioned hair (4a natural). Started doing extensions using the marley braid (kinky) but was anemic and got too tired to do the whole head. Had attitude because they were so secure I couldn't just run my finger through the twists to unloosen them. I had to "work" to untwist them. Make sure they're started with a twist and not a braid.

I *think* a lot of the ladies who use the kanekalon/yaki hair burn the ends.

4evershika

I'm partial to braids. I think they'd be able to stand frequent washes w/o getting messy.

I also don't think either style offers more styling options than the other. I think you'd be able to pull off any style with one as with the other.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too b/c I'm planning on keeping them in for 7 or 8 weeks and I don't wanna be looking crazy w/ messy braids/twists!!! Thanks!!!

4evershika

I did twists on my hair with kanekelon hair and they're pretty sturdy:yep: I prefer twists because I like the look better and are faster to install and remove which is important to a lazy gal like me:lol: What I did is simply started them like regular box braids and then switched from braiding the hair to twisting it about an inch or so (because I would forget to start twisting:lol:) away from the scalp. So I have a good knot/anchor at the base of the twist. I sealed them by taking a small handful of finished braids, braiding a good 5 or so inches of them together and dipping in boiling water for 10 seconds. Next time I will do this for the whole length:yep:

lol that's me too :yep: I didn't even think about that but it's true, taking down twists is a heck of a lot faster than taking down braids...

BlackMasterPiece

I absolutely adore senegalese twists so I would choose that. I got them done once and from that point on I always did them myself.

I used to do my hair in twists all the time especially during my transition and they were gorgeous...they're very durable.....I love how simple and quick the takedown is.

I also used to start them with braids then transfer to twisting after I got in about an inch down....If I ever do them again I'll use the technique where you start them with a twist.....I think it looks more uniform and natural that way....there are tons of tutorials on this online and one of the best things about it is the cheap kanekalon hair is perfect for this look.

I secure the ends on my twists bumches with some kinda elastic and when I'm done with my whole head I'll braid it in medium sized sections and dip 2/3rds the length of the hair in boiling water and end up with a cute wavy effect:yep:

Last edited:

4evershika

I successfully did them on my own, non-extensioned hair (4a natural). Started doing extensions using the marley braid (kinky) but was anemic and got too tired to do the whole head. Had attitude because they were so secure I couldn't just run my finger through the twists to unloosen them. I had to "work" to untwist them. Make sure they're started with a twist and not a braid.

I *think* a lot of the ladies who use the kanekalon/yaki hair burn the ends.

:lachen: :lachen: see that's what I want... b/c I'm keeping them in for 7 or 8 weeks

4evershika

I absolutely adore senegalese twists so I would choose that. I got them done once and from that point on I always did them myself.

I used to do my hair in twists all the time especially during my transition and they were gorgeous...they're very durable.....I love how simple and quick the takedown is.

I also used to start them with braids then transfer to twisting after I got in about an inch down....If I ever do them again I'll use the technique where you start them with a twist.....I think it looks more uniform and natural that way....there are tons of tutorials on this online and one of the best things about it is the cheap kanekalon hair is perfect for this look.

I think you ladies have convinced me to do the twists!! Thanks for the advice!

I wish I had the patience to do them myself but I can barely braid my own hair:look: