Ladies currently rocking Box Braids or any type of braiding style ( Need Feedback)

CHANNYY

Mornings Ladies,

I have been in a sew in going on three weeks now but I dont think its for me. My scalp itches like crazy. I do Zumba five times a week and by end week my hair is soo sweaty it starts to smell. I wash it weekly but I can't stand the sweaty smell. One of the ladies in my class suggested braids would be better.

I was thinking about getting some box braids. Ladies, for those in braids whats your regime? Mainly how often do you wash them? I'm afraid of my hair dreading. What kind of hair do you use for the braids? Thanks

Re: Ladies currently rocking Box Braids or any type of braiding style ( Need Feedback

Hey! I just finished installing some braids...

After I wash and DC my hair, either I let my hair air dry completely, or I will half air-dry and half blow dry. I use Cantu shea butter all over my hair, it's easier to work with my hair when it's nice and moisturized.

I part in 4 sections, and add coconut oil, then begin braiding. I co-wash every two weeks, and do an actual poo two weeks after. And of course any touching up/re-braiding as needed. I spray with Rosewater and Glycerine when I wake up and before I head to bed.

I used Xpression hair this time. According to some YouTube gurus you can buy it at any BSS, but I had to order mine from the UK. I left the ends out, dipped them in hot water, and used styling mousse to keep from unraveling.

I don't have any advice but I think Nonie has some advice on the up keep on braids. Maybe she will chime in...don't forget to pot pics when you get them installed ma'am.

Re: Ladies currently rocking Box Braids or any type of braiding style ( Need Feedback

Hey! I just finished installing some braids...

After I wash and DC my hair, either I let my hair air dry completely, or I will half air-dry and half blow dry. I use Cantu shea butter all over my hair, it's easier to work with my hair when it's nice and moisturized.

I part in 4 sections, and add coconut oil, then begin braiding. I co-wash every two weeks, and do an actual poo two weeks after. And of course any touching up/re-braiding as needed. I spray with Rosewater and Glycerine when I wake up and before I head to bed.

I used Xpression hair this time. According to some YouTube gurus you can buy it at any BSS, but I had to order mine from the UK. I left the ends out, dipped them in hot water, and used styling mousse to keep from unraveling.
Thanks,

How much does the hair cost? How much hair do you need?
Have you retain length in braids?

I have box braids, since you work out go easy on how much you put on your hair. I use Scurl for moisture and a mixture of coconut, jojoba, EVOO, and castor oil every two days. When I normally keep mine in for two months, I wash its twice a week with a normal shampoo and then once a month with a neutralizer like Isoplus.

Us oils like rosemary oil or peppermint because it blocks out some of the sweat smell.

The hair I buy cost $1.99 at my Sally's and my local BSS. No need to go expensive but keep in mind the quality is important also. It took 8 1/2 packs for my hair but mine are a little bit bigger.

Attachments

• 1364055485742.jpg
    1364055485742.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 71

mm. I have chunky senegalese twists in right now...of which the roots are braided. Mine only stay in about 2-3 weeks as the itching drives me crazier than anything else.

I DC really well before hand and moisturize/seal and gel, then depending on if I am already coming out i do a protein.
My hair doesnt hold well onto braids/twist extensions for some reason so I spritz nightly with water and jojoba oil and tea tree oil to keep the itch down but my head is itchy no matter what i do since i transitioned so yeah

[USER=330401]HairPleezeGrow[/USER];18285075 said:
I don't have any advice but I think Nonie has some advice on the up keep on braids. Maybe she will chime in...don't forget to pot pics when you get them installed ma'am.

For anyone new to braids, I always recommend they follow the regimen here: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html Once they become familiar with braids, then they can bend the rules like I do.

OP, I did my own braids and I did them well so that I was able to wash them twice a week without issues. Also because I did them myself, I could redo them working on one at a time as time allowed so that I never felt overwhelmed and could stay in braids for a year+ straight. Redoing has these benefits:

- I got to remove shed hair which meant no tangles later on;
- I got to move the starting point of braids to the new, stronger growth section thus taking the strain off the initial starting point;
- By moving the extension to a new starting point, you make it firmer. Loose braids swing painfully and feel as if they make break your hair so I think it can save your hair from breakage;
- I ensured there was no matting at the base.

It is important that the braider uses less extension hair thickness than the section of your own that they will be adding it to. I usually fold my extension hair when adding it. So if I buy 28" human hair, I get 14" braids and I usually use one pack and a bit. If you use too much additional hair, you risk putting too much weight on your scalp and therefore you risk alopecia or breakage.

Last edited:
Back