Black Women with Red Hair

I'm feeling rather inspired by Rihanna's red hair. It's such a vibrant, interesting and lovely look.

Rihanna’s new red hair - Hair Ideas

I'm even considering dyeing my hair a similar colour. I've never dyed my hair before, and I'd love to try something different. Maybe I could even turn a few heads? :look: If I do it I'll probably just have a temporary or semi-permanent colour, just in case I don't like it after a while.

So what do you think of the look? It's probably not to everyone's tastes, but has anyone here ever tried it before? Any good tips for me? I couldn't find much in Google when searching for photos of red afros, so if anyone could help me out with that as well would be great, thanks :).

I"ve been looking for red fros too. I love Rihanna's color. But I don't think it goes well with my complexion. There's someone on here who's natural with just red in the front. I don't know her name but it's in her siggy.

I remember when Keisha Cole first came on the scene and I saw her up close and thought the red hair was much cuter in person.

I love this color too! I'm just too much of a punk to try it for myself. It might rock the boat too much in my profession.

You should try to buy a wig in a bright red color first. I think I'll do that someday so I can wear it when I'm in an adventurous mood.

I'm feeling rather inspired by Rihanna's red hair. It's such a vibrant, interesting and lovely look.

Rihanna’s new red hair - Hair Ideas

I'm even considering dyeing my hair a similar colour. I've never dyed my hair before, and I'd love to try something different. Maybe I could even turn a few heads? :look: If I do it I'll probably just have a temporary or semi-permanent colour, just in case I don't like it after a while.

So what do you think of the look? It's probably not to everyone's tastes, but has anyone here ever tried it before? Any good tips for me? I couldn't find much in Google when searching for photos of red afros, so if anyone could help me out with that as well would be great, thanks :).

Red dye takes the longest to come out, even if it is just a temporary or semipermanent color. :yep: I got a red rinse once and it lasted for more than a year.

First post-Cherry Breaking! Whooo!

Anyway, I have had several shades of red, copper, orangey, loved all of them:

2zibspl.jpg

ETA: Here's a more "fiery" one..where the curls were looking a messLOL

xdh5io.jpg

This was several years ago, I have been back dark for some time now.

Last edited:
I :lick: red hair. Goes very well with our skin color(any shade) IMO. If I hadn't henna'ed then I would surely have some a color simialr to Rihanna's.

I :lick: red hair. Goes very well with our skin color(any shade) IMO. If I hadn't henna'ed then I would surely have some a color simialr to Rihanna's.

when im done transitioning I'd love a dark rich red rinse like latavia or even like the sis in this pic:

Attachments

• Group-shot-of-us.jpg
    Group-shot-of-us.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 435
I think it's beautiful.... But we do have a real red hair'd beauty on this board.... her user name is "Natural Redhead". It's the real thing! Just lovely!:yep:

I love love love red hair. Im not sure if im bold enough to try a rihanna red. Im hoping henna will give me a deep red mahogony tone :yep:

My hair is red from henna...I think it looks good but I'm tired of red hair, so yea, a rinse is a good idea b/c it will fade, and you can dye over it easier. I'm pretty much stuck with my hair b/c I won't use a lifting dye to get rid of the red.
8jan2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I think black women with red hair is beautiful, i am somewhat biased because my daughter, a black woman has natural red hair, and there are many shades that go with different complextions. I find red hair unique and not something seen all the time. Heres a pic (seen below) of my daughters hair and i have tried to duplicate it on my head in the past but i couldnt get it quite the same on my hair.

Attachments

• deanna cropped.jpg
    deanna cropped.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 414
I tried this look a few years back. I remember posting in an old thread, but for some reason I must have deleted it:ohwell: Luckily I found it on fb, my hair was dyed "mahogany red" with a "plum" rinse if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• n8907912_5614767_6567.jpg
    n8907912_5614767_6567.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 362
One of my girlies from Jamaica has naturally red hair and it looks great on her. She told me there's a whole group in Jamaica with dark skin/red hair combo.

At first I was skeptical of the Rihanna mention because she can pull off about anything...but after seeing the pics, red hair can compliment the complexion...just has to be the right shade for your skin tone

A few years back, when I was more active on this board, I had red hair. Not nearly as vibrant as Rihanna's, but still bright. I think I still have a few pics of it in my Fotki. I got the red by lightening my hair, & henna-ing over it. I enjoyed it :)

My sister dyed her hair last month, it is as bright as Charli Balitomre and Rihanna's but her skine tone is darker than theirs. I think you should go for it but up your protein and moisture treaments. My sister's hair is still going strong it hasn't broken off and she used bleach too soo.. but you can always get a wig.

I'll try and convince my sister to give me a picture of her to post here.

Red dye takes the longest to come out, even if it is just a temporary or semipermanent color. :yep: I got a red rinse once and it lasted for more than a year.

OMG, seriously? :S. OK, thanks for the tip. Will dyeing black over it after some time be any problem?

My hair is red from henna...I think it looks good but I'm tired of red hair, so yea, a rinse is a good idea b/c it will fade, and you can dye over it easier. I'm pretty much stuck with my hair b/c I won't use a lifting dye to get rid of the red.
8jan2-vi.jpg

You hair is so pretty! :D

8jan2-vi.jpg

I luv it!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

8jan2-vi.jpg

Beautiful. I was finally able to get a similar shade of red only when I added an egg to the henna mix. Before it was kinda dull. The egg gave it a nice boost and shine.

Last edited:
OMG, seriously? :S. OK, thanks for the tip. Will dyeing black over it after some time be any problem?

You hair is so pretty! :D

Thanks Cherry! And it's easy to dye black over red no problem - the issue is when you want to go lighter or back to brown, because a lot of the time the red mixes with brown and just makes auburn.

my hair is red from henna and i am sooooo tired of it. ive had red hair all through high school and college and once i got rid of it was not looking to go back. but i had a pretty golden light brown on my hair so when i hennaed(for conditioning purposes) i got red hair. wish i never did it, for the color alone.

Back