black women, white stylists....

SqrpioQutie

after having my 2nd dominican salon experience (which wasn't as positive as the first), i'm wondering if i would get the same experience if i went to a white salon... i'm thinking a blowout is a blowout, right?... has anyone tried a while salon for a blowout?... or would you??... or if you have, how did it turn out?... and if you haven't and won't, why not?

TIA!

C

chica_canella

My mom use to go to a white stylist. I think they would do a great job because to them 3c is like the kinkiest; but anyway, she said he could press and everything. I think it just depends on if they know how to work with different hair textures because even some black hairstylists don't know how. If you find the right person, black or white, then you should be ok IMO.;)

Kimberly

I would. As long as they knew what they were doing and could handle my hair type/texture, I wouldn't care what color they are.

myco

I think if you found a white stylist who understood that blowdrying relaxed hair straight out of the shampoo bowl is not a good idea, you'd be okay. That's one of the things I hate to see when I see a black woman on a makeover show. They always blowdry her hair from soaking wet with a round brush and it comes out looking dry, rough, and poofy.

At the very least, I would want them to put me under a stand up dryer to remove most of the moisture before using a hand-held blowdryer.

mango387

I have been to a white stylist I was living in England (Manchester), and the salon that a lot of blacks went to was Nicky Oliver. I wanted to arrange an appointment with a stylist who specialized in "black hair," but she was unavailable. (I wanted a press or a blow-dry and flat iron, because I was natural then). There was this white lady who volunteered and said she would do my hair. I looked at her as if she were crazy, and I asked "Are you sure? My hair is kinky and difficult to straighten."

She promised that she could do it and guess what? She did it! Outside of my "golden age" stylist in B'ham who presses like no one's business, my hair has never looked so great!!! I hate to say it, but my hair swang more w/ the white stylist's blow-dry and flat iron. Too bad, she was expecting and almost due when I had my first and only visit w/her, because I did not get to get my hair styled again while I was there. I gave her a tip (above average) and everything. The best part is that I received a student discount too. I forgot her name, but she works in the one who closer to Arndale and the coach station.

taraglam2

There are only 2 salons that I go to (when I go to the salon) point blank. They are a Dominican Salon here in Baltimore or another upscale salon here in Baltimore with NO black stylists. Althought there are NO black stylists in the upscale salon that I patronize (once every 3 months--maybe) half the salon are platform artists for either RUSK, L'OREAL, ALTERNA, CIBU or WELLA. They know how to do all types of hair. On any given day half the salon patrons are black and the other half white. The blowouts they do are just as great as The Dominican Blowout with less heat.

When I first came to Maryland I patronized a black salon every week and my hair started falling out left and right.

I started going to another black stylist and she kept my hair at earlength for nearly 2 years kept saying she had to cut my hair every 3 weeks cause of split ends.

The next black salon I patronized kept you in there doing assembly line hair forever and a day and the shampoo girl dropped like a ton ofshampoo in my eye and didn't give a dayum That was the final straw---have not patronized another black salon since !

C

chica_canella

taraglam2 said:
There are only 2 salons that I go to (when I go to the salon) point blank. They are a Dominican Salon here in Baltimore or another upscale salon here in Baltimore with NO black stylists. Althought there are NO black stylists in the upscale salon that I patronize (once every 3 months--maybe) half the salon are platform artists for either RUSK, L'OREAL, ALTERNA, CIBU or WELLA. They know how to do all types of hair. On any given day half the salon patrons are black and the other half white. The blowouts they do are just as great as The Dominican Blowout with less heat.

When I first came to Maryland I patronized a black salon every week and my hair started falling out left and right.

I started going to another black stylist and she kept my hair at earlength for nearly 2 years kept saying she had to cut my hair every 3 weeks cause of split ends.

The next black salon I patronized kept you in there doing assembly line hair forever and a day and the shampoo girl dropped like a ton ofshampoo in my eye and didn't give a dayum That was the final straw---have not patronized another black salon since !

My beautician used to do it religiously every six weeks which kept my hair pretty much the same length.

But I guess she would being that I had a relaxer, blow dry and flatiron.:look: :ohwell:

zora

taraglam2 said:

Please share the upscale white salon you go to.

curlilocs

My stylist is white, and though I believe he is an exception with his abilty to do any type of hair, I have a let a few other white stylists cut my hair over the years and have been pretty impressed. If they have the right tools, they can do it, you just have to coach them a little bit. A lot of them will tell you that more textured hair is easier to do.

bablou00

I go to a white salon when I want my ends clipped because they dont cut all of my hair off. As far as a style I would leave that up to my lady who gives me a relaxer she is real gentle w/ my hair but not with the scissors..lol

Aveena

bablou00 said:
I go to a white salon when I want my ends clipped because they dont cut all of my hair off.

Exactly, I go to the Hair Cuttery and let an Asian lady cut my hair (I know not white) but she knows how to handle my hair and she doesn't try to talk me into any fancy styles or color or any other number of other things.

cocoberry10

I've never been to a white stylist, but...The BEST STYLIST I've ever gone to was a Japanese woman. She did my retouch and everything! This was in Japan, when I went to visit my friend. I was really scared at first, but my friend assured me she was great. I hadn't had a retouch in like 4 months and I had some knotting. She untangled my hair gently (and it didn't break), and she texturized my hair perfectly! It was the best experience of my life. When I get Oprah rich, I'm stealing her to be my personal stylist.

dimpalz

I used to go to a white salon to get my hair relaxed and my stylist (white AND only about 22) used to blowdry it from wet. It wasn't dripping. but it was nowhere near dry and let me let you my hair was S-W-I-N-G-I-N-G!!!

They know how to do it without too much product, and most importantly without too much HEAT directly on the hair. The only beef I had was wen the stoopid BLACK girl with the HAT WEAVE told me I can't put oil on it before it's blowdried. ERRRRRRRR ur hair is made of plastic!!!!

cocoberry10

dimpalz said:
I used to go to a white salon to get my hair relaxed and my stylist (white AND only about 22) used to blowdry it from wet. It wasn't dripping. but it was nowhere near dry and let me let you my hair was S-W-I-N-G-I-N-G!!!

They know how to do it without too much product, and most importantly without too much HEAT directly on the hair. The only beef I had was wen the stoopid BLACK girl with the HAT WEAVE told me I can't put oil on it before it's blowdried. ERRRRRRRR ur hair is made of plastic!!!!

:lol: :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hairmaster

I am a white stylist and work with blackhair and white. I don't work full-time in hair, I like a challenge and to try new products so I only like to work with people that can work with me..

Candygirl

Candygirl
hairmaster said:
I am a white stylist and work with blackhair and white. I don't work full-time in hair, I like a challenge and to try new products so I only like to work with people that can work with me..
I'm from St.Louis as well. What salon do you work at?

IAOJ

cocoberry10 said:
I've never been to a white stylist, but...The BEST STYLIST I've ever gone to was a Japanese woman. She did my retouch and everything! This was in Japan, when I went to visit my friend. I was really scared at first, but my friend assured me she was great. I hadn't had a retouch in like 4 months and I had some knotting. She untangled my hair gently (and it didn't break), and she texturized my hair perfectly! It was the best experience of my life. When I get Oprah rich, I'm stealing her to be my personal stylist.

Was it in Tokyo? I'm moving there for about half a year in Jan. and would like to find someone to straighten my hair every once in a while.

taraglam2

zora said:
Please share the upscale white salon you go to.

Hi Zora !

BUBBLES Hair Salon ON THE AVENUE at White Marsh, across the street from White Marsh Mall. Rudy Solarzano (CIBU Senior Artistic Designer) or Sharon (The Manager --- she does natural or relaxed hair, believes in stretching relaxers---or going without a relaxer // for hair health) they are the ones you want to ask for.

Bubbles White Marsh On The Avenue --- 410-931-4020
Towson Mall Bubbles (Sharon manages and works at both) --- 410-821-7542

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I havent had a blow out in years, when I was relaxed I only went to salons for rollersets, wraps or relaxers and those were mainly black salons. For the past 3-4 years or so I've been going to Saturdays to get my hair cut if I dont do it myself. All but one time my stylists has been white. I'm REALLY happy with the cut/trim I got last week. Normally I straighten my hair to make it easier, but I didnt get to go the day I straightened it, so it was kinky when I finally made it there. She did an awesome job. Her first words were..."relax, I want you to know my daughters mixed and I'm used to cutting black hair." I wasnt worried, since I wear it curly if the cut is bad you cant really tell. The best haircuts I ever had relaxed were done by menfolx. :)

JD's Mom

My current stylist is white, and my prior stylist was a white male who worked well with my natural hair (I'm relaxed now). He would do the blowout and flat iron and my hair looked fabulous. It's all about getting someone who knows hair and is comfortable with ethnic hair. My current stylist has been doing my hair (relaxers, trims, etc) for two years. She doesn't mind me bringing my own products, or giving her instructions on certain things if I want it done a different way.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Hey ladies, after reading the responses about how the white stylists are familiar with all or nearly all hair types, it makes me wonder where some black stylists dropped the ball. I mean, I've been to some black stylists with my natural hair and they've actually refused to style it.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Bublnbrnsuga said:
Hey ladies, after reading the responses about how the white stylists are familiar with all or nearly all hair types, it makes me wonder where some black stylists dropped the ball. I mean, I've been to some black stylists with my natural hair and they've actually refused to style it.

This was mentioned in the book I mentioned in some other threads "That Hair Thing" by the sisterlocks lady. She touched on how the black stylists, who are the "professionals" cant do natural hair and how we are the only race that can grow up and not even know what our natural hair looks like. I think it's a combination of things, but if for years natural hair care isnt taught in schools and its a symbol of "shame" so to speak, not to many folx are going to take the time to learn how to style and care for it. It amazes me how our natural hair is seen as so "unnatural".

melodee

taraglam2 said:
Hi Zora !

BUBBLES Hair Salon ON THE AVENUE at White Marsh, across the street from White Marsh Mall. Rudy Solarzano (CIBU Senior Artistic Designer) or Sharon (The Manager --- she does natural or relaxed hair, believes in stretching relaxers---or going without a relaxer // for hair health) they are the ones you want to ask for.

Bubbles White Marsh On The Avenue --- 410-931-4020
Towson Mall Bubbles (Sharon manages and works at both) --- 410-821-7542

Thanx for the info chica. Zora asked exactly what I was gonna ask. and wow--White Marsh is really close to Zora. Towson is a wee bit closer to me (though it's still a lil' drive) but I'm gonna try there.

JamericanGurl

I get my hair colored at non-black salons. The guy that does my color is actually Arabic and he blows my hair out wonderfeully!

I think when it comes to color and I've stated this before. Non-Black salons seem to focus on total hair care vs relaxers.

I also had a get experience with a Japenese stylist in NY at Salon Ziba.

I always love my cuts too.

JMO!

comike

I've been to several white hair stylist. My experience is that they've cut my hair better than any black stylist I've tried, with the exception of one black guy. I felt bad for the last white stylist I visited. I made the mistake of visiting her about 10 weeks post relaxer so after washing my hair it was VERY BIG. I usually try to plan a visit a few or two after a relaxer. I knew she would have a time trying to blow dry my hair. It probably took her at least an hour but it was definitely straight, silky and bouncy when she finished.

balisi

It's nice that so many of you have had positive experiences in the hands of non-black stylists. It really depends on the individual stylist. For example, a non-black stylist has to want to know how to handle highly textured hair and be willing to seek out opportunities to learn. At the salon I work in, the white stylists seem to have no interest in doing so. They seem to want to stay in their comfort zone. But a smart, ambitious stylist knows that hair is hair, and in today's ever-increasing multicultural society, it would behoove any stylist to learn their way around any hair type, regardless of race. I've had non-black clients whose hair I had to treat the same as I would a black client. I had an Indian customer recently who was very impressed that I, a black woman, understood how to silken her mass of hair with the flatiron. I explained to her that hair is hair, it's just that each head has specific needs, and a stylist must be able to determine what they are.

As far as the Bubbles salon some of you have experienced, I'm not surprised that you were pleased. Bubbles is part of the Hair Cuttery family of salons and they are pretty good about caring for all, regardless of race.