Dominican Salon Experiences..Please Share

Energee

I'm considering a blowout in the next couple of weeks..since I'm stretching out for 9 weeks. I spotted a nice looking Dominican Salon near my new area and was so excited! I never thought about going there until coming to this board. Now I want to give them a try just once. I'm not doing any heat at home except for the Pibbs when I DC and rollerset/rollerwrap.

I'm a little afraid to have the blowdryer on my hair!:perplexed For those of you who have been through the process of having a blowout..what has your experience been? Did you lose hair? Breakage? Damage? Was you experience positive or negative? Do you frequent Dominican salons regularly or only periodically...like once per relaxer cycle or only during long stretches?
What can I expect? I've seen wonderful pictures of blowouts here but I am still nervous about the process... Please share your experiences good or bad..

mzhotniz86

i went to one awhile back and had a situation (its my journal) where they sent me to the "new girl" . well she overprocessed my hair , trimmed it uneven and did my curls wrong and they had to be blown back out and redone. you def dont want that when you have that hot blowdryer right on the scalp. my aunt used to go them all the time and her hair thrived. i just had a bad experience and will never set foot in one again unless i know somebody who had been in there before and like their results. my hair did start breaking off after a few days because of the over processing. just make sure you express exactly what you want with your hair the best you can . they rollerset me and set my under the dryer .then after that they used a roundbrush and blew out my curls .you can tell them if you want it blown straight or with curl (for body).its better to have them rollerset you and just blowdry your roots so you wont have heat damage throughout your whole head.

bLackButtaFly

I went for the first time a couple weeks ago. While the lady did put more product on my hair then I would've liked the result was nice. It was hot that's for sure. I'll probably go there again in oct or when I want to go straight(like once every three months or so) just b/c it's cheap, and so much easier then me straightening myself.

Energee

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences MzHotniz and bLackButtaFly. I think I will hold out on the Dominican experience for a while at least until I can't take my roots any longer. I will not go to them for my retouch. I just wanted them to wash, rollerset and blow out my roots. I'm Scared....lol:grin:. So since my heart isn't telling me to go for it at least 95% I can't...lol.

I will one day maybe...We shall see and I'll definitely share my experience here.

la929

I went for my first blowout while I was in Vegas. I had heard all the raves so I took a chance. Well, it was fine...the dryer was so incredibly hot I could not believe it. One thing that struck me as strange was that I was 3 weeks post-relaxer and she said I should get a relaxer in the next two weeks for my roots. Yet it was a dominican lady sitting next to me under the dryer with extremely thick hair that was all natural but she said nothing to her when she blew her hair out...all in all it was ok, but my hair was so fly-away fine that I decided it was too much heat and strain on my hair to continue. I don't think I will go to another Dom salon for a long time.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I have not been to a Dominican salon, but IMHO it sounds like maybe we (especially us fine-haired ladies) should not necessarily go to their salons but continue to use their great products. I'm just sayin'...

londonjakki

I've been twice. The first time I had a rollerset and when it was dry she blew out my roots with a VERY hot blowdryer for about 6 minutes (unbearable) then she used a flat iron for about 5 minutes..It was gorgeous and lasted for two weeks...the second time I tried a different dominican shop:nono:...it was awful....it just depends on the stylist...I tell you what though I would NEVER let them blow me dry from wet ..they did that to my mom and sister (they are natural) & they both said they are not going back.
My 10 yr old has had a dominican twice and both times it was gorgeous!!!:yep:

Hello!

Like the other ladies said, I think it depends upon the shop/stylist. I used to get my hair blown out in Philly, and ooo-weee when I stepped outta that shop, it was on! They had my hair lookin sooo goood. Every single woman that left that shop looked like a million bucks.

I had to get there right when they opened to avoid being there allllll day, no matter what day it was.
They start by shampooing/conditioning your hair, then they rollerset it and sit you under the dryer. Then they proceed to blow it out with the hottest hair dryers known to man. I swear, it feels like they're powered by kryptonite or something. After that, they go over it with a flat iron to make it sleek and give it a little curl.

I wouldn't get a relaxer from them. I had a regular stylist, and she knew I didn't want a relaxer. It took me a while to get her to back off, though. If your newgrowth is really thick, I would advise you to be careful, as they might start to rip through it with a fine-tooth comb. They seem to take direction really well, though.

Now I'm in ATL and I went to one that was awful. They just didn't seem to know what they were doing. :ohwell:

I would keep the visits to a minimum because it's a lot of manipulation and heat, but for every once in a long while, it's a nice treat that will leave your hair blowing in the breeze :yep:

Belladonna

I treated myself to a blow out in July. I was great. Then I went again 2 weeks later. NOT great. My hair can't take that much heat. Some of my ends are done! I am relaxer free but I do color . So that blow drying from dry to wet is a definite NO NO. I will only go with the roller set and flat iron, next time. When & if.

csmoot

I have religiously gone to a DOM shop for 6 years. And I love it. I go every week and I get a W&S and I get my roots blown out. I think that is best bc you keep your body and the curls from sitting under that hot ass dryer. Plus I think that only blowing out the roots decreases damage. I get a DC every week as well.