Black Salons feeling the heat of the Dominican blowout!

UniquelyDivine

I have never had a blowout nor have I been to a dominican salon but I must say I am curious after hearing so many ladies on here rave about their products and techniques, anywhoo to the point....I ran across this article while getting my gossip in for the day.. :look:

I am curious to hear what you ladies think, for those of you that have recieved services from black and dominican salons, do you think one is better than the other?

And if you are thinking about visiting a dominican salon for the first time does this sway you in either direction?

http://bossip.com/247015/hair-wars-...he-heat-of-the-dominican-blowout/#more-247015

lilwomen20010

Well there is a salon I use to go to and they did not believe in blow dyers at all didnt matter if you were natural or relaxed and it is a black salon... funny thing is when I told other people (stylist) about this it was very odd to them..lol..

mrsjohnson75

I've never been to a Dominican salon.

...but I'd go to one in a heartbeat for a cheap wash and set (not a blowout) and be in and out rather than a typical black salon that will have you spending hours there because of the overbooking and the high prices.

UniquelyDivine

^^ ITA that is one thing I HATE about going to my stylist, she will schedule me at 12:00 and I wont get in the chiar until 3:00...which is the reason why my visits to her are few are far between!

Crystal

I’ve been to a Dominican salon and I can say they’re quick, cheap and did my hair pretty well. They didn’t pull out their scissors and snip away an inch because of one split end. I vowed never to go back to my regular black stylist again because she doesn’t know how to listen and kept getting scissor happy and setting me back. I think I’m going to start doing my own hair though with maybe an occasional visit to a Dominican Salon. My issue with Dominicans is that I don’t’ think all that heat is good for your hair and I’m not convinced with their coloring and cutting yet. I’m mainly protective styling now for the immediate future.

I feel the pain of black stylists though, but if they get it together really quick they can compete.

ConstantlyDynamic

i used to do blowouts when i was relaxed and yes, they are very good for the most part (not all of them of course). i also had my natural hair blow dried straight at a dominican salon and it turned out really well-very straight. lasted for only a few days though.

ConstantlyDynamic

I feel the pain of black stylists though, but if they get it together really quick they can compete.

yeah there's definitely soe tension between domincan and black salons. the one i used to go to when i was relaxed (same place i got my hair straightened when i went natural) was 2 or 3 doors down from a black salon. when i went to the black salon once (i was getting my hair done for prom and i needed to do something the dominicans said they couldn't do- i don't remember what it was but anyway they told me they could do it, washed my hair, and then said they couldn't do it so i went to the black salon-perhaps there was some miscommunication that went on when i initially told them what i wanted b/c they lied to me-they might not have understood what i wanted-but i digress lol), the black stylists were so upset that i went to the dominican salon and were like "look at them stealing business-they should've told you from the get-go that they couldn't do it" and then one of them opened the door and stared at the direction of the other salon lol then they told me to come back to them next time-but i didn't because the other salon had great blowouts and my mom and i had been customers for years. i think the dominican salon got A LOT more business. the black salon was empty when i went in.

Nayna

Unbothered
I've never really understood why black salons don't do blowouts or at least offer it if a client insists on getting one. They learn it in beauty school! I understand the preference for roller setting because it is a lot safer for the hair, but many know how to do blowouts.

Sometimes I think that if more black salons offered it it could probably be done a lot safer with heat protectants and such. I've ever had a DS use heat protectant. It would probably cost more but it would be done right.

UniquelyDivine

I wonder if it's more than just the cheap prices? Some of the comments that were on the site that I pulled this off of said that their hair is healthier and longer since they have made the switch to the Dominican salons. I wonder if that has something to do with better products or maybe they have just begun to take better care of their own hair...

jdvzmommy

I wonder if it's more than just the cheap prices? Some of the comments that were on the site that I pulled this off of said that their hair is healthier and longer since they have made the switch to the Dominican salons. I wonder if that has something to do with better products or maybe they have just begun to take better care of their own hair...
Before I found LHCF, my hair was the healthiest when I was going to Dominican salons on a regular.

If I wanted basic things like a blowout, wash, or rollerset, I'd go the Dominicans. If I wanted an actual style or a touch up, I'd go to one of my black stylists.