Black rinse on relaxed hair?

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
I've been thinking about getting a black or brown rinse for years. I'm just very apprehensive when it comes to trying anything that could damage my hair. Does anyone have any experience with dyes or rinses on relaxed hair? Did you notice a change in your hair texture? Does anyone use a black rinse regularly?

Sorry, I don't have a Fotki set up. However there is a pic in my profile. :grin:

fluffylocks

Yeah, i do black rinses all the time.

Jazzings makes a good black rinse, i've never noticed any damage at all, it does seem to make my hair alittle dry and stringy, so i always do it before shampooing and conditioning and everything is good.

Profectiv makes a foam black semi rinse, and it seemed to stay for a long time---i didnt see where it said no peroxide or ammonia :ohwell:

If your scared, you should try Roux, they make rinses and foams that last for one wash and are temporary, not semi.

fluffylocks

DaRealist

I used to use semi-permanent colors all the time on my relaxed hair with no problem.
I still do, but just not as much as I used to in the past.
I would not recommend using a permanent dye though because it will take forever to grow and and depending on the base of the dye and your natural hair color, you could end up with green hair.
Believe me, it's not pretty. :nono:

You can actually achieve hair that looks jet black by finding a nice deep dark brown semi-permanent color. The one that worked for me was Coffee Bean by Sebastians in their Color Shines collection. I think this line has been discontinued though. another line I like is Adore in the white bottle. You can find it at your local bss for no more than $4 or $5 per bottle. This color lasts well. I have used their dark brown before and gotten the look that my hair was black as well. I tend to like using the darke browns because many black colors have a base of blue and I am not fond of the blue black hair look on myself.

shermeezy

Yeah, i do black rinses all the time.

Jazzings makes a good black rinse, i've never noticed any damage at all, it does seem to make my hair alittle dry and stringy, so i always do it before shampooing and conditioning and everything is good.

Profectiv makes a foam black semi rinse, and it seemed to stay for a long time---i didnt see where it said no peroxide or ammonia :ohwell:

If your scared, you should try Roux, they make rinses and foams that last for one wash and are temporary, not semi.

Thank you! :grin: I may try Roux. How often do you put in your rinse? Do you think your hair looks thicker with the rinse? What about shine?

Eiano

hair color, you could end up with green hair.

i actualy ended up with green hair from a rinse.. even when i scrateched my hair, it'd be green all under my nails :(

This time I don't know what she used but my hair feels and looks good, and I don't have any shedding yet!

So yes, you can use a rinse and not have it damage your hair...:)

Dposh167

me also..

i've used jet black rinses for years. (the color in my siggy is a fresh one). they should not harm your hair. i've never experienced damage nor have i ever heard of anyone who has. they don't have harsh chemicals in that permanent color has, so they're safe.

i use the same as fluffylocks posted. clairol also has another line in a brown bottle that works too.

rinses are really good for sealing in and smoothing the cuticle. i mix my black color with clear sometimes as well. HTH

shermeezy

I used to use semi-permanent colors all the time on my relaxed hair with no problem.
I still do, but just not as much as I used to in the past.
I would not recommend using a permanent dye though because it will take forever to grow and and depending on the base of the dye and your natural hair color, you could end up with green hair.

You can actually achieve hair that looks jet black by finding a nice deep dark brown semi-permanent color. The one that worked for me was Coffee Bean by Sebastians in their Color Shines collection. I think this line has been discontinued though. another line I like is Adore in the white bottle. You can find it at your local bss for no more than $4 or $5 per bottle. This color lasts well. I have used their dark brown before and gotten the look that my hair was black as well. I tend to like using the darke browns because many black colors have a base of blue and I am not fond of the blue black hair look on myself.

Dark brown sounds like a good idea. I don't want anything too harsh. Do you have to retouch often?

Dposh167

Thank you! :grin: I may try Roux. How often do you put in your rinse? Do you think your hair looks thicker with the rinse? What about shine?

from my experience the very best time for the color to penetrate is when the cuticle layers are up. (like from a relaxer or touch up). When i'm in btwn perms and the color is fading i touch it up myself at home. Sitting under the dryer or a heated bonnet works better than no heat at all (atleast for me)

fluffylocks

Welcome!

The Roux i've found arent that dramatic. It would be good to try if you want to take one little step before going full on black or something.
They didnt give any shine or thickness, i tried it a couple of times before dying my hair black with a semi-perm., and now im just using them up inbetween

Semi-perm. rinses gives my hair pretty good shine right after i do it, then slightly for the 2-3 washes. (But i have coarse hair, which is naturally dull looking and harder to shine, so if your hair isnt coarse, youll probally get much better results) I never feel my hair being any thicker.

I rinse once a month because i like fresh dark hair, and when i use to wait 2 months you could see my light brown newgrowth :nono:

John Frieda makes a clear glaze that gives hair good shine, but it doesnt thicken.

Hennalucent or Colora henna powder make clear/natural/neutral shades that give hair good shine, conditon your hair, and thicken your hair

Colora henna powder makes black and browns, they thicken your hair and shine, but they are permenant.

fluffylocks

from my experience the very best time for the color to penetrate is when the cuticle layers are up. (like from a relaxer or touch up). When i'm in btwn perms and the color is fading i touch it up myself at home. Sitting under the dryer or a heated bonnet works better than no heat at all (atleast for me)

Yeah I Agree, the color seems to last alot longer right after a relaxer, and when you go under heat, the color is more intense and shines more (imo also)

Thats why i brought that Profectiv Neutrilizer that has different colors (it comes sepretly now) so i could neturlize and color in one step, it says that it lasts 6-8 washes (i think) but that thing lasted alot longer on me,---but i guess it was because it was right after a relaxer.....i still dont know if it has peroxide in it.

DaRealist

Dark brown sounds like a good idea. I don't want anything too harsh. Do you have to retouch often?
No I don't retouch often.

I also agree with Poochie about applying it after a relaxer
It takes really well then.

I have used that clairol one in the brown bottle, but I think Adore gives a better shine. I used to use Jazzing all the time too, but never in browns or blacks. I was in a red/auburn phase when I used that line.

motherx2esq

I've been relaxed for years and only rinse my hair jet black have for years with no ill effects. Just make sure you condition with any rinse.

Songbirdb

I'm big on rinses. I use Jazzing all the time. I don't do black because I'm a fan of bright colors... I stick to coopery reds and such. But rinses are fine on relaxed hair.You can even do it in the same day if you wanted.