Black rinse is bad for your hair???

N

NaturalBeauty87

MY cousin's hairstylist told her that she needs to stop using black rinse and use dark brown instead because black rinse will damage/thin her hair. Do any of you guys think this is true? i LOVE black, but if it will thin my hair out, then dark brown here I come!

Neith

I use dark brown rinses because I feel that pure black might wash me out.

but no... there is nothing in a black rinse that will cause damage to the hair. It's just a different pigment.

N

NaturalBeauty87

OK good! I thought the same thing too, how can black be bad and brown good! Can rinses in general be bad then?? Hopefully not because I LOVE my black hair!!

Sui Topi

Another case of the stylist who don't know :censored:..........unless she is talking about PPD permenant dyes and she just got mixed up

dany06

I often hear about stylist telling clients to switch semi permanent brands because some have metallic dyes in them. I've heard that metallic dyes can cause thinning and breakage. But I have never heard a stylist tell them that the brown is better than the black.

Also if she is using the semi permanent color too often can cause some damage. I think that it would more so be due to protein overloading. That is why it is typically recommended to use after relaxing.

One other thing. The darker the semi permanent dye is the more concentrated it is. Like if you were to use a light blonde versus a black. The blonde semi permanent color would be more gentle on the hair. I think that this could be the reasoning for what the stylist said to your cousin.

clarity2008

I often hear about stylist telling clients to switch semi permanent brands because some have metallic dyes in them. I've heard that metallic dyes can cause thinning and breakage. But I have never heard a stylist tell them that the brown is better than the black.

Also if she is using the semi permanent color too often can cause some damage. I think that it would more so be due to protein overloading. That is why it is typically recommended to use after relaxing.

One other thing. The darker the semi permanent dye is the more concentrated it is. Like if you were to use a light blonde versus a black. The blonde semi permanent color would be more gentle on the hair. I think that this could be the reasoning for what the stylist said to your cousin.

Interesting.

I was going to do a black rinse on my hair for the first time today but I did a protein treatment (nexxus emergencee) 2 days ago. Is the rinse a bad idea now? Should I wait a week or two? TIA

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
The stylist probably wants her to go to her and let her put the color in her hair.:rolleyes: I don't believe her. I wonder sometimes the things stylists really know. Thank goodness I get educated on hair here at LHCF!:yep:

lunabelle

That makes sense. My BFF is having problems with thinning and breakage and she uses a jet black rinse EVERY time she washes her hair. She says she hates the dull look but I couldn't give her a concrete reason why that wasn't good. Because I know she isn't going to stop I told her be sure to do a DC every time. Thanks for the explanation..