Biotin and Zinc

ryanshope

I read about Biotin and how it has been breaking peoples skin out so I started reading and on another hairboard some stated that they take zinc in conjuction...I just got 5mg of biotin to improve my hair state but I don't need any acne issues...so I am chugging the water and looking at the zince count; need to determine a ratio before I start my biotin experiment. Hope this helps someone..

gymfreak336

I read about Biotin and how it has been breaking peoples skin out so I started reading and on another hairboard some stated that they take zinc in conjuction...I just got 5mg of biotin to improve my hair state but I don't need any acne issues...so I am chugging the water and looking at the zince count; need to determine a ratio before I start my biotin experiment. Hope this helps someone..

Well, zinc helps regulate the thyroid glad which in turn helps regulate the scalp and help keep the blood circulating. All of this translates into healthy hair growth. In fact, when I was taking cal-mag-zinc tablets, my hair grew fast and strong and my scalp didn't itch as bad.

With zinc, taking too much is usually easy to spot. If you get a metallic taste in your mouth, it could be a sign of too much. In general, stayin below 55mg a day will be a safe amount. 22.5mg is the usually amount in a separate zince supplement and 15mg is the 100%rda amount. I take around 15-30mg a day between my supplements and food. Zinc would be especially helpful right now with cold and flu season. I don't know of any reason to have it within a special ratio with biotin though. I would just take 15-30mg of it and see if it helps.

almondjoi85

Does anyone else out there think that if you eat healthy well balanced meals and drink enough water that you do not need all these extra vitamins to grow hair? I tend to shy away from the pills...I'm not sure they are necessary for healthy hair growth :ohwell: if everything else is in order.

Am I wrong?

WomanlyCharm

Does anyone else out there think that if you eat healthy well balanced meals and drink enough water that you do not need all these extra vitamins to grow hair? I tend to shy away from the pills...I'm not sure they are necessary for healthy hair growth :ohwell: if everything else is in order.

Am I wrong?

I don't think you're wrong...BUT!

Most people don't eat healthy balanced meals on a consistant basis. And even then, alot of the foods we eat have a decreased vitamin/mineral content due to the fact that every thing isn't as fresh, our soil is depleted, etc.

Taking an additional supplement can't hurt...unless you go overboard.

indefinite

Unfortunately, unless you buy most of your meats, dairies, fruits and vegetables from co-ops, or organic and non-gmo, you are getting a much weakened product. Food 30 years ago were richer in vitamins and nutrients. Now we eat genetically mutated and hormone filled food in the name of profits. And that is just speaking on fresh food that hasn't been processed. If you eat anything processed just forget it, lol

gymfreak336

Am I wrong?

I don't think so. For starters, food isn't as nutritious as it was years ago. The soil doesn't contain the same levels of nutrients which is why I always grow as much as I can in the summer and shop at farmers markets when possible.

As far as a true healthy diet, most people wouldn't know one if it smacked them in the face. The foods that we eat also are not as varied as they need to be to get things like omega fatty acids in particular in the levels that we need. Stress and environmental pollution also increases your nutritional needs.

Medical problems also change your needs. For example, both of my sisters have PCOS. As a result the way their bodies process and store inslin is different, they have hormonal problems and they build up androgens. Part of the treatment includes nutritional therapy. Many of the things they have to take, flaxseed oil, extra magnesum, zinc, biotin and b-vitamins, co q 10 and such are things that I have taken on a regular basis since I was in high school so almost 5-6 years now. I don't show any signs of PCOS even though I should based on the probablity with the genetic factors. I have taken vitamins on my own. I would spend my allowance money in the health food store. They laughted at me then but now look, I don't think that is any considence.

I don't think everyone needs to have a whole bag full of vitamins either. I do think there are basics that everyone should take and certain things people should add if certain illnesses and problems run in the family. I also change up my regime to compliment my diet. I tend to eat better in the spring so I don't take as much then either.

I also believe that just because you don't have any particular deficencies, doesn't mean you couldn't benefit from more of something. As science develops we learn more and more about what we should be eating. Health Nuts have taken flaxseed oil for years before doctors even talked about it. Now doctors are pushing flaxseed oil supplements right out of their offices. Breast feed babies have shown high levels of brain functioning earlier than formula feed babies and its the omega fatty acids in the breast milk that are to blame. As a result many companies add DHA which is one of the essential fatty acids that come in high amounts from breast milk to their formulas. Many men get enough selenium to stay alive but a diet high in selenium has been proven to be benefical to a healthy prostate which can help people who have prostate cancers running in their family. People with high blood pressure should take more magnesium and so should people with chronic pain and sleep problems. I don't believe that vitamin supplements are a "fix all" to all medical issues and disease prevention but many do help, just as too much of anything isn't good for you either. The key is proper education but the whole topic intimidates many people so they don't educate themselves.

Everyone could benefit from a Omega Fatty Acid supplement, an antioxidant like grapeseed extract, a circulatory aid like COQ10 and a multi-mineral supplement IMO.

janeemat

No more extra biotin for me. Only what's in my multi vitamin, my B-complex and a hair nutrient vitamin. I'm tired of the breakouts. Even drinking lots of water did not help me.