to biotin or not to...that is the question...

BomBShell♥

Ok ladies....to start off I have to tell u the history of my skin....I have normal perfect soft skin and have never broke out before...not even when I went through puberty! So about 3 weeks ago I started taking vitamins and biotin...when I started taking the biotin a few days later I broke out in little bumps all over my face and chest...I stopped taking it a day later and my bumps are just now starting to go away. I heard that biotin helps a lot. So my two questions are....
1. Does the breaking out stop?
2. Is biotin worth taking?

Thanks ladies!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
How much did you start off taking? For most people, it's best to start off with a small dosage and slowly work your way up

I take and love biotin, 5mg daily. I don't know if I've ever had a breakout problem, because I get bumps all the time anyway :ohwell:

MizzCoco

I don't know, I despise biotin...my skin is usually very clear. I was taking 3000mcg daily for a few months, and my face went crazy! I heard that taking b-complex will let your body absorb it better, but I'm not trying again!

knt1229

It sounds to me like you were having an allergic reaction. Maybe biotin isn't for you. If I were you I would not continue taking it.

I take Nutralite complex for hair, skin, and nails which has 1000 mcg or 1 mg of biotin in it. I have never experienced any type of breakout.

2themax

How much did you start off taking? For most people, it's best to start off with a small dosage and slowly work your way up

I take and love biotin, 5mg daily. I don't know if I've ever had a breakout problem, because I get bumps all the time anyway :ohwell:

Tiffers is right. Start slowly and work your way up. When I first started taking biotin, my skin broke out like crazy (eventhough it broke out a lot during puberty). So I started taking 500 mg (per day) for a week, 1000 mg (per day) the next week and now I'm taking 1500 mg (per day). The breaking out has stopped and also I drink L-O-T-S of water which always seems to help. Good luck girl!:yawn:

Ronnieaj

^^^ITA. Start slowly and work your way up. I take 3g/day with no problems and I've got beautiful skin (other people tell me that! I swear I'm not being arrogant :grin:). My skin is also acne-prone though, and I'm on an acne regimen year-round, so I don't notice anything different than any other time. If you give your body time to acclimate, you'll probable eliminate some of those nasty side effects. If you go really low, say 500 mcg, and are still having problems, it may not be for you. Good luck!

sheba1

Biotin caused me to break out, initially, but adding B complex seems to have balanced it. My skin is now clearer than ever as long as I take them both and my hair, hopefully, gets to receive the benefit of the 5000 mcg of biotin. I take my biotin at night before bed and my B complex in the morning, as it increases energy and I might have trouble sleeping, otherwise.

Demi27

I take biotin. I get it in my HS&N vitamin from GNC and I take an additional 2500 mg.
I have found (for me) that I cannot take all brands of Biotin. I realized that the only Biotin pill that works for me is the Biotin capsules from GNC. I have taken Biotin from Walmart (in a tablet form, can't remember the name) and it broke me out horribly.
Initially (when I took the tablet form of biotin) I thought that I just couldn't take Biotin and/or I needed to take another supplement (like other ladies suggested). Then I remembered that I wasn't taking any other supplements (to combat pimples) when I was taking the capsule form from GNC.
So, I started with the capsule form of GNC again and don't have any problems. I take additional supplements now for their added health benefits, but have found that I don't need to take them.

I hope that makes sense.