Biotin and Hair Growth

douglala

I’ve been reading some raves about Biotin and people getting accelerated hair growth and stronger nails. Does anyone know if it also increases BODY hair growth also. I want to start taking it but I am afraid about the ‘other’ areas. Such as leg hair(I’ve got enough already), facial hair, etc. Has anyone taking Biotin experienced this extra hair growth in other area?

karezone

No, but with my fingernails and toe nails grow faster. In fact the hair on my legs is growing really slow this year.

ngaa

i dont kno about the increase in hair growth in other areas (havent really looked) but i dont really mind even if the hair growth increased coz i really want to see soem hair growth (from my scalp) so either way i'd still continue to take the biotin if it meant that i'd get longer healhtier hair

UmSumayyah

I haven't noticed faster growth on my legs but I am noticing increased hair on my chin and lip. Last night I noticed that in a few places, I have more hair on my forehead close to the hairline.

douglala

UmSumayyah,

That's exactly what I am afraid of. If it turns out that most people has seen more growth in other areas then I may have to think twice about taking Biotin. Anyone else out their taking Biotin that can give me some input?

mstasha

I HAVE NOTICED EXTRA HAIR GROWTH IN OTHER AREAS. I'M SHAVING IN THE SHOWER EVERY OTHER DAY INSTEAD OF EVERY 3-4 DAYS. I THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL. TIMELY BUT NORMAL

ny2atl

Yup! Eyebrows are growing in thicker! Never had hairy legs until recently too! BUTTTTT.... never got as much growth on the head either.

Brownie

I take 5mg of biotin. I've noticed that my eyebrows are thicker, and my underarm hair grows faster. I've also noticed more peach fuzz hair on my face; I actually have some on my forehead---just noticed it last night.

lunalight7

Ive been taking 5mg of pp biotin for a little over a month and ive noticed an increase in lip hair. Im getting it electrolysized on Saturday. I dont care because Ive also seen an increase in head hair growth.

Lengthwanted

I have seen increase in chin (already had it), upper lip (had some - but a child from church commented on it last month)- legs - underarm - arms, etc... I'm a hairy person. I can deal with all of it except the chin and upper lip. I had a complimentary laser hair removal on my lip and chin last month. I love the results and have scheduled my first appointment for July 3rd. It will take 4 sessions every 4-6 weeks to permanently remove from chin and lip .. wonderful!

DDHair

I like long hair, but long hair is normally a woman thing, I don't want to screw it up by looking like a man and have a mustache thicker than my boyfriend's. I haven't been taking biotin that long, so I have not experienced the body hair, but I think I will just stick to a limited amount (I am taking 6mg now, maybe 3 is good), because I don't want the facial hair at all!

Tracy

I think if you have propensity toward extra hair growth on other parts of the body you will experience this with increased biotin intake - but only because you are already inclined toward that type of hair growth and the biotin increases it.

If you are not given to this type of hair growth I don't think you'll have it even if you opt to add biotin to your vit regime.

alireno

I agree with you Tracy. I have been taking 5 mg a day for a while. Yes my hair is growing a bit quicker on my legs and under my arms, and a lot quicker on my head. But I am not getting any facial hair or anything. I have never had that type of thing.

douglala

I do have propensity toward extra hair growth on other parts of the body. That is why I am so concerned. For me, it may not be worth taking it. But it seems are if most people who have gotten more body hair growth take about 5 mg (5000 mcg) per day. What if I took half of that. Do you think that I will still get extra growth on my head but not anywhere else where with that?

Tracy

I don't think the doage will matter. Biotin for the most parts is effective for increased doses over 3,000mgs. Less may not yeild increased growth elsewhere...but it probably won't yeild increased growth on the head either.

pink lush

Did anyone else experience break outs? I normally only get the period pimple once a month but when I was taking biotin I had at least 3-5 pimples.

My hair did seem to grow but Im use to having clear skin and I cant take having breakouts. Esp in the summer time when my skin gets extra irratated.

Lengthwanted

I just increase my Biotin, but also included flax oil and evening primrose to my vitamin list and sure enough I got 4 period pimples and some bumps on my back (my boyfriend mentioned it to me and said he notices that I break out more during my period and wondered why my back was bumping up this early) -- After I finish all of my vitamins, I will not be replenishing my supply. I'm just going to take one multivitamin -- I'll go through this episode to see how these vitamins help -- but no more -- can't handle the side effects 2nd go round.

jamaraa

Hi all....YES, biotin CAN increase UNWANTED growth in addition to wanted growth (it's been discussed on a few other threads too).

IMHO, it's no big deal UNLESS a) shaving, waxing, etc...your legs and underarms more often is a problem for you OR b) you have a tendency towards facial hair and you can't/don't want to deal w/ it.

I'd suggest topical applications of nettle and/or horsetail (can add you products or make rinses using the herbs or the tinctures). That way you have control as to precisely where the growth occurs.

Just a suggestion.

Nacai23

Hello everyone!

I take 4200mcg of biotin, along with MSM and vitamin C. The hair on my body grows faster than it used to, but I don't mind cause my head hair grows about a inch a month. I swear to you, I measured my hair last month and it was 3.5 inches and now it's almost 5 inches long. I was like whoa! Biotin is some powerful stuff! I'm so happy. You know how they say "Six inches a year from now"? Well, I'm going to have waaay more than six inches before my haircut anniversary.

I used to break out alot before taking my vitamins, and now I don't have any pimples what so ever. I think it's the vit c. My skin is smoother and more even toned. Before, I would HAVE to use acne products, now I can use whatever I want.

I buy all my vitamins from GNC. I plan on adding an amino acid, another b vitamin, epo, and GNC's ultra nourishair. If I'm getting this much growth from just the biotin, I can't imaging how much growth I'll be getting when I add these!

pooh123

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else experience break outs? I normally only get the period pimple once a month but when I was taking biotin I had at least 3-5 pimples.

My hair did seem to grow but Im use to having clear skin and I cant take having breakouts. Esp in the summer time when my skin gets extra irratated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone. Yes I got breakouts as well pinklush. I was not happy about it. I now only take half of a tablet per day.
Its not worth my skin breaking out. I even tried bumping up my water intake and I still had breakouts.

pooh123

lunalight7

douglala,
Ive been doing electrolysis on my chin for years and the hairs are practically gone...just a few stubborn ones left. I wanted laser on my lip but the lady said the hair was practically invisible. That was weeks ago and Im gonna have another consultation this summer.

ineedmoney

for everybody that has to deal w/ facial hair how do yo get rid of it.that is why i'm so apprehenisve to get some biotin. i get a little now but can us one of those min razors and i'm straight

Wanda

ineedmoney, I have the same question. Can anybody refer me to a good electrolysis in Los Angeles. Since I have been taking 5 mg of Biotin, I have been getting more facial hairs than before.

lunalight7

ineedmoney,

Using razors and plucking will make the hair come in thicker and more noticiable so STOP and try electrolysis or laser (expensive).

soulchild

By any chance, if u stop taking the Biotin will the hair kind of go away on it own or is it there until you shave it/wax/etc...