Bigen and scalp irritation? Anyone experience this?

HoneyDew

Ladies have any of you gotten irritated by Bigen?

Last night I used it for the 1st time since October of last year.

After rinsing it, shampooing and deep conditioning, my scalp feels VERY ITCHY!

I shampooed again using neutralizing shampoo and conditioned again, but my scalp still feels irritated.

This morning I put on a little La India to soothe it and it feels better, but I am worried. :perplexed

honestly honeydew i was THE BIGGEST supporter of bigen oriental black hair dye and used it quite frequently for a while and it always gave me irritation. it even broke out my hairline :( with irritated red sores.

i dont know what they put in that stuff (i had once thought it was similarly natural like henna) but i was sorely mistaken. now long after, i've stopped using and started using henna and indigo. not as quick as bigen but sure as heck stops the itching, sudden dandruff, rashes, and general irritation. definitely stop using they have some serious chemicals in there i'm thinking.

I think it is the PPD in there.

My scalp really feels irritated today. :ohwell:

I can't wait to shampoo and condition it again. I am tempted to do that tonight.

I was going to try it, but I came across some scary reviews on folica.com. After reading some of the (horror) stories, I decided I'd be safer than sorry.

msbrown76 said:
I was going to try it, but I came across some scary reviews on folica.com. After reading some of the (horror) stories, I decided I'd be safer than sorry.

I am going to read the folica reviews.

YES YES YES!!! My scalp was itchy and scally (sp) and it has not recovered. I thought it was an isolated incident, because I did not shampoo after I rinsed, I CW instead. I thought it was user error, partially was:cool:

It made my aunt's hair fall out. Her scalp was soo itchy. He hair started breaking in different sections afterwards too.:perplexed

msbrown76 said:

I was going to try it too until I did a search here and read about PPD. I read that Bigen has the highest amount of PPD that any other dyes.

Keep us updated honeydew.

HoneyDew said:
Ladies have any of you gotten irritated by Bigen?

Last night I used it for the 1st time since October of last year.

After rinsing it, shampooing and deep conditioning, my scalp feels VERY ITCHY!

I shampooed again using neutralizing shampoo and conditioned again, but my scalp still feels irritated.

This morning I put on a little La India to soothe it and it feels better, but I am worried. :perplexed

Oh my goodness yes! Not only did it tighten up my scalp something fierce, it also dried out my hair. I won't even use Bigen anymore.

Were at on folica was the horror stories? I typed in bigen reviews and saw nothing but good things. One of my friends Just bought this!!!!! I want to show her before she uses it.

wow! and i was going to use it to! Thank God I read this because i was planning on using it tommorrow on my day off from work

I just used the oriental black last week, and my scalp has been itching like crazy. I have used Bigen at least 5 times before, but I never connected or noticed the itchiness until reading this thread. I guess I might be retiring my beloved Bigen...

STLCOVERGIRL- I'm with you on that one, that was my FAVORITE black hair dye ever EVER!

You know honeydew, I never thought it could be PPD but that makes SO MUCH SENSE! it probably is PPD in the dye which is how they get it so black. I think I remember a "PHENYL something in there" :eek: ....

I hope everything will be okay with you! Let us know how it works out for (come to think of it I used to shed like CRAZY using that dye too! Big clumps of hair would come out....what a shame that dye is) you!

My mother had the worst experience with Bigen years ago, so much so that it forced her to go natural. Bigen made her scalp itchy at first then she developed the worst sores (it loked awful) on her scalp which made her hair fall out, it took her close to a year (with lot of TLC) to nurse her scalp back to normal and for her hair to grow back.

I just had this experience around Feb. I believe. My scalp was so... itchy and sore. It also broke me out on my skin surrounding my scalp, i.e. face, neck, and ears. It got so bad I had to go to the emergency room. I was given benedryl which worked as long as I was taking it. I also applied cortizone cream- Aveeno, I think. That cut down on the itchies. It was unbearable. I think I'm allergic to PPD in most hair colors. Bigen is not the only one that has done this to me. It was the worst reaction, but not the only one. I am stuck using rinses now which are healthier on the hair anyway.

STLCoverGirl said:
I just used the oriental black last week, and my scalp has been itching like crazy. I have used Bigen at least 5 times before, but I never connected or noticed the itchiness until reading this thread. I guess I might be retiring my beloved Bigen...

Same here. I have used it in the past and never really noticed anything. But last night it was itching like I did not rinse out a relaxer correctly or something. That is why I rewashed my hair with a neutralizing shampoo to see if that would help.

PPD is the 1st or 2nd ingredient. :perplexed

I am not using this crap anymore! I am pretty confident I will be able to soothe my scalp to prevent any damage because I have used Bigen before. I am going tojust keep up with the scalp treatments. I NEVER put anything on my scalp but for the next couple of weeks I am going to use Emu oil on my scalp every other day or so. I am shampooing and deep conditioning on Sunday,too. I am going to make sure I give my hair and scalp lots of TLC.

Just think, I have a nice bag of henna and indigo from Henna Sooq, but I just had to be lazy!

Last edited:
LocksOfLuV said:
Does your bigen have peroxide in it? A LOT of them do?:ohwell:

Post your ingredients if you don' mind.

No peroxide. That's why so many relaxed ladies use it. But I am not sure it is so much better!

Here are the ingredients in the Oriental Black:

Sodium Perborate, Cellulose Gum, p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, Sodium Sulphate, Tartaric Acid, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, m-Aminophenol Stearate, Fragrance (Perfume).

I could have sworn the ingredients on my box were a little different. I am going to check when I get home.

There was an ad in a hair book once that there is FAKE Bigen out here.

Allergic contact dermatitis from para-phenylenediamine in Bigen powder hair dye.
Ho, S. G. Y.; White, I. R.; Rycroft, R. J. G.; McFadden, J. P.. Contact Dermatitis, Aug2004, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p93, 2p; DOI: 10.1111/j.0105-1873.2004.0396f.x; (AN 14418458)

Bigen Hair dye has a 12.5% PPD content, and may cause severe allergic reactions. 6% is the maximum allowed by FDA law. According to the article above, Dose–time relationships for elicitation of contact allergy to para - phenylenediamine., .01% is sufficient to cause an allergic reaction.

:perplexed :eek:

the itching, sudden dandruff, rashes, and general irritation.

Hmmm, I had been having similar scalp issues minus the rashes...Now I'm wondering if that was connected to Bigen.

eta: and because of those issues the last time I did my touch up I couldn't leave the relaxer on for more than 9 or so minutes. Even though the irritation appeared healed after some time, it seemed like my scalp became more sensitive in general to relaxing.

Last edited:
HoneyDew said:
Allergic contact dermatitis from para-phenylenediamine in Bigen powder hair dye.
Ho, S. G. Y.; White, I. R.; Rycroft, R. J. G.; McFadden, J. P.. Contact Dermatitis, Aug2004, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p93, 2p; DOI: 10.1111/j.0105-1873.2004.0396f.x; (AN 14418458)

Bigen Hair dye has a 12.5% PPD content, and may cause severe allergic reactions. 6% is the maximum allowed by FDA law. According to the article above, Dose–time relationships for elicitation of contact allergy to para - phenylenediamine., .01% is sufficient to cause an allergic reaction.

:perplexed :eek:
How in the hell is this stuff still on the shelves?! :mad: I'm glad I didn't use the one I bought, too bad I didn't keep the receipt. :ohwell:

I used the black brown last week and to be honest I hate it. I made the mistake of using it BEFORE reading some of the reviews on here. My scalp was really itchy immediately after, but it has since calmed down a bit but the dryness is something fierce. I don't think I'll ever use it again. Plus that 12.5% is really scary:eek:

I've only used it once, and haven't had any adverse effects, in fact my hair looks and feels so much healthier. I will keep an eye out, but since transitioning, my scalp has been so much healthier and nothing has irritated it yet. Then again, I have no known allergies and my skin is the total opposite of sensitive. Are relaxed ladies the only ones having this problem?

It's more than likely an allergic reaction, this is one of the things that's makes us remember to do a patch/strand test b4 using chemicals. Hopefully it won't result in any thing worse than the itching, keep us posted.

yourleoqueen said:
Bump

HD, how is your scalp feeling?

Much better. Thanks for asking girlie. I meant to update you guys.

I think my scalp is just sensitive right now. My mom reminded me of that when I told her about this. I cannot even use Fabric Softener on my face. I have a sepreate set of towels that have to be washed without it or my face gets red sore blothes on it.

Maybe my scalp is just as sensitive. Yesterday I did a cassia/henna treatment and my scalp was even tingling with that on there.

It took a scalp massage with Emu oil to calm it down.

I am keeping an eye on things. The reports from everyone here have me very concerned.

Did anyone who experienced irritation do the recommended skin test first? I'm curious because I just purchased this product and am currently conducting the skin test. (2 hours and so far so good, i have 46 to go though according to the directions :laugh: )
But if there's anyone that DID the skin test with fine results and STILL ended up with irritated scalp or allergic reactions when they actually dyed their hair, I'd like to know about it :nono:

Did you ladies have these experiences from just using the oriental black or does the whole Bigen line contain PPD?

Back