Big Chop - How - Where

realskirt

I am thinking about doing the big chop. My last relaxer was November 26, 2008 thanks to this forum. My new growth is crazy but co-washing has made it manageable.

I don’t have a stylist so who do I get to do it? Go to a Barber Shop? What do you ladies think …it’s almost six months should I just do it?

~Lee

MummysGirl

It's about 5 months if you last relaxed on Nov 26th... Are you sure you are ready for your BC?

Ladies here have BC'd at a hair salon, at a barber shop, or at home.

At home method I have seen a lot of women use - soaking hair in conditioner to see the different textures and cutting off relaxed ends

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I did my BC myself. I just DC'ed for a while and cut off the straight pieces.

MochaEyeCandy

I transitioned for about 9 1/2 months, and I bc myself. I wasn't planning on it, but I'd just taken my hair out of kinky twists and didn't want to waste time detangling my relaxed ends. I wet my hair, applied conditioner and cut at the line of demarcation. Overall it was a good experience. Good luck.

BrownEyez22

I did mine at home in my bathroom, I didn't transistion very long and I didn't want anybody to mess me up or chop off my progress while giving me a BC.

The BC is a very personal decision, just be sure you know how your gonna style it afterwards and a backup styling plan (wig, braids) for if you don't like it right away. Good Luck!

claudia05

I don't really trust myself with scissors so I might have to find someone else to do it...

Last edited:

manter26

some stylist are reluctant to do it. My sister just BC'd and it took her a while to convince the stylist that she was serious about doing it. I BC'd once before and wet my hair then cut off the relaxed ends. I went to a barber a week later for shaping. He told me if I asked him to BC he would of said no.