Beware of Prenatal Vitamins if using for hair only

CORBINS

I have been taking pre-natal vitamins for about 8 months now and everything was fine until I started having horrible headaches about 1 month after starting them. I have been trying to figure out why I was having the headaches, I've been to the doctor several times and they couldn't figure anything out either. The only problem the doctor came up with was that I was having cluster headaches.

Recently, I went online in desperate need of information because my headaches started to get really bad again. I came across a website that allowed my to self-diagnose by giving the location of my headache, duration and any meds/vitamins I may be taking.

Well, to cut the story short, I have heavy metals in my system from the IRON! DANG IRON!!! I stopped taking Jo Oil last year because I thought it was causing my headaches.

If anyone is having headaches and they are located at the top of the head and radiate down the sides, you may have too much iron in your system. Stop taking your prenatals and drink tea and water to help flush your system. Stop your intake of vitamin C and orange juice as well.

Thanks for reading, I just felt a need to share this!!! ~Sheryl (CorbinS)

love2alicia

I dont take pre natal vits but I have iron replacements as Im low in iron last time I had a Blood test.

Do you know how much Iron was in the vitamins you took??

Sha76

I don't understand taking prenatals unless you are trying to conceive, pregnant, or just had a baby. I mean, the vitamins don't really grow your hair like a pregnant woman, the hormones do.

If I were you, ( assuming you are not trying to get prengnat, pregnant, or just had a baby) I would just go back to regular vitamins.

CORBINS

I was taking the vitamins because they have a lot of good stuff in them. Plus, I still have a huge bottle that I purchased from Sam's Club. I usually just take the Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins, which I will be returning to. I just wanted to share just in case thee was anyone else that may be having headaches and didn't know why, thanks!

CurleeDST

Good information. I am not sure why people think prenatals help promote healthy hair growth. Prenatals are primarily used for iron and folic acid which are both imperative for us pregnant moms.

The reason why it appears our hair grows quicker (and it does) while pregnant is the INCREASED BLOOD FLOW volume in our bodies supplying nutrients to the unborn child. The additional blood flow also carries additional nutrients to our hair follicles thus they respond with quicker growth. Due to this increased blood flow is the reason why our prenatals need to have more iron to keep our energy level up.

I say take a multi-vitamin and call it a day. Prenatals are primarily for pregnant/expecting and nursing moms.

HTH

CORBINS said:
I have been taking pre-natal vitamins for about 8 months now and everything was fine until I started having horrible headaches about 1 month after starting them. I have been trying to figure out why I was having the headaches, I've been to the doctor several times and they couldn't figure anything out either. The only problem the doctor came up with was that I was having cluster headaches.

Recently, I went online in desperate need of information because my headaches started to get really bad again. I came across a website that allowed my to self-diagnose by giving the location of my headache, duration and any meds/vitamins I may be taking.

Well, to cut the story short, I have heavy metals in my system from the IRON! DANG IRON!!! I stopped taking Jo Oil last year because I thought it was causing my headaches.

If anyone is having headaches and they are located at the top of the head and radiate down the sides, you may have too much iron in your system. Stop taking your prenatals and drink tea and water to help flush your system. Stop your intake of vitamin C and orange juice as well.

Thanks for reading, I just felt a need to share this!!! ~Sheryl (CorbinS)

CurleeDST

200% agree! I read this post after mine but you are ON POINT with this. Hormones and increased blood flow is what helps increase hair growth in us pregnant moms and yes prenatals are good to take if you are also thinking about getting pregnant for the iron and folic acid which helps decrease chances of birth defects.

Sha76 said:
I don't understand taking prenatals unless you are trying to conceive, pregnant, or just had a baby. I mean, the vitamins don't really grow your hair like a pregnant woman, the hormones do.

If I were you, ( assuming you are not trying to get prengnat, pregnant, or just had a baby) I would just go back to regular vitamins.

HoneyDew

I don't take prenatals, but I did recently switched from a daily that did not contain iron to the Viactiv Daily tablets which do contain iron. After a few weeks I started having terrible headaches and not sure what it was from.

I stopped taking all supplements until I could figure out what the heck was going on. I have not had headaches since then.

I am taking my MSM now, but I really need to get another daily. I am not anemic and heat well so I may just go back to a daily that does not contain iron.

Thanks for sharing! :)

CurleeDST

You know multi-vitamins can be hit or miss sometimes. I took a woman's multi-vitamin from GNC and I broke out in a rash under my arms! I stopped taking them and the rash went away. I had to continue to test and try out vitamins to see which ones worked.

Someone on here, I think, said they took woman's Geritol and experienced amazing energy and healthy hair and nail growth from it.

KiniKakes

Thanks for sharing, Corbins.

Are you going to start taking the Jo Oil again now that you know this wasnt causing the headaches?

that_1_grrrl

I am so glad you posted this. I did research when my sister offered me her pre-natals after I went to buy a multi-vitamin. Many sources said the level of iron and zinc in them can be harmful.

If any of you feel you *must* take them, make sure they have low levels of iron and zinc.

Denise11

Too much iron can actually KILL you! Iron is stored in the body and too much of it can cause lots of problems and can kill you. My sister almost passed out from too much iron. She was in the hospital for days.

OP, you should call your doctor and tell him/her about the pre-natal vitamins and the headaches.

rsmith

thanks for the information. I was taking two geritols a day and noticed my head was hurting as well. I will only take one.

that_1_grrrl

Too much iron can actually KILL you! Iron is stored in the body and too much of it can cause lots of problems and can kill you. My sister almost passed out from too much iron. She was in the hospital for days.

OP, you should call your doctor and tell him/her about the pre-natal vitamins and the headaches.

My sister is pregnant, and I think the iron in pre-natals were even affecting her. She said they made her nauseous. So... again, be careful to anyone taking them.