BEST Table Top Hood Dryer

Sunshine_One

Hello Ladies!

My beloved Lazy Dazy hood dryer died last weekend, after 14 years of service. :cry3:

So now I need a replacement. I can't afford a Pibbs at the moment. So I will need to get a new table top for the time being. I've read a few reviews on Folica...but truth be told all these new hood dryers...look so...CHEAP. I hope I can find a decent one. I've been on a roller setting and (hot towel) steaming reggie. So I need to get one this weekend.

Any and all recommendations and info will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

SimplyBlessed

Wal mart has some conair hooded dryers...their cheap and local.. They get the job done...but if u want top of the line and more heat settings..u might want to look online

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

nappystorm

Definately Lady Dazy. Mine still runs but it cracked after being dropped so many times. My mom bought that thing in '93 or '94.

Sunshine_One

Thanks SimplyBlessed! I don't have a Walmart near me in DC proper. But I am headed to Target & Bed Bath & Beyond to see what they have. I can get a friend to take me to Walmart if I don't find anything tonight.

Sunshine_One

Definately Lady Dazy. Mine still runs but it cracked after being dropped so many times. My mom bought that thing in '93 or '94.

YES...I've been googling and can't find that model anymore. I did see one on Ebay...but I need it now. I will take a pic of mine...girl it cracked @ the hood base and hood is slightly warped.....umm I've been draping it with a cloth for last few years...:look: to ge that pibbs effect.:lachen:

nappystorm

YES...I've been googling and can't find that model anymore. I did see one on Ebay...but I need it now. I will take a pic of mine...girl it cracked @ the hood base and hood is slightly warped.....umm I've been draping it with a cloth for last few years...:look: to ge that pibbs effect.:lachen:
:lachen:See, we are >>>>here<<<<

Janet'

I have an Ion hooded dryer...I, too, had a Lady Dazey that my grandma bought me for my Undergraduate graduation present (yes, I specifically asked for that and some rollers- don't judge me, :look: lol) in 2002 and it would still be working if my puppy hadn't chewed through the cord. The Ion I got from Sally's...it's decent but nothing has beat that Lady Dazey!

NaturallyMo

Nothing will replace your L.D. I don't know why they stopped making those things. Mine lasted almost 20 years and was still better than the ones I've tried as of late. I recently picked up a Conair hooded dryer from Wal-Mart for about $25. When I got it home and opened the package, it was already broken (the handle at the top). The plastic seemed much more flimsy and cheap than my beloved strong and sturdy LD. I took that one back and of course they didn't have anymore in stock so I settled for the collapsable
This one gets very hot, but I am concerned that the vents are only at the top of the dryer. I've only used it a couple of times and make sure that my hair is piled on top of my head for treatments. When I did a quick braidout, I had to go over the ends with a regular blow dryer to make sure they were dry. Overall, it's ok, but she aint no LD

Ltown

Greyland
Nothing will replace your L.D. I don't know why they stopped making those things. Mine lasted almost 20 years and was still better than the ones I've tried as of late. I recently picked up a Conair hooded dryer from Wal-Mart for about $25. When I got it home and opened the package, it was already broken (the handle at the top). The plastic seemed much more flimsy and cheap than my beloved strong and sturdy LD. I took that one back and of course they didn't have anymore in stock so I settled for the collapsable
This one gets very hot, but I am concerned that the vents are only at the top of the dryer. I've only used it a couple of times and make sure that my hair is piled on top of my head for treatments. When I did a quick braidout, I had to go over the ends with a regular blow dryer to make sure they were dry. Overall, it's ok, but she aint no LD

I have this one too and you are right it ok and the vents are only at the top. I'm looking to get a better one too!

ctosha

I too had a lazy dazy it finally gave way 2 years ago...I have not found anything comparable since. I just wanted to chime in and say don't waste your time with the conair hooded dryer. My mom bought one last year and it just gave way about one month ago. So it only lasted about a year if that long. Last week I just bought another hooded dryer from my BSS fingers crossed on that one.

Sunshine_One

Quick UPDATE:

I found a dryer at a local bss. It's by a manufacturer I have never heard of. The name is RED by KISS. It's the same company that sells the KISS make up line.

The had two models. I chose the cheaper one @ $59.99 plus tax. I have not used it yet...will be doing my hair tonight. If I like it I may go back and exchange it for the higher end model. The only down side is that I can NOT get a cash refund if it does not work to my liking. :( But I NEEDED a dryer ASAP...so I took the risk! Below are are links to the dryer I purchased and the higher end model.

If any one has experience with this brand please chime in!

This is the one I have:

REDbyKISS DRYER Retail $59.99

The higher end model:

curling Retail $69.99

I will give a full review on performance.

Last edited:

Solitude

hmm....I thought Red was an Asian-owned company that makes knock-offs of more popular brands. Never heard of KISS.

I have a Red curling iron and I don't like it. You probably can't return that hood dryer, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I had two Gold 'n Hot table-top hood dryers that I hated, but I love my Gold 'n Hot standing hood dryer.

fivetimestwo

This thread is right on time since my L.D. just cracked the other day and is now lopsided (didn't stop me from doing my weekly DC though :lachen:) I'll be watching this thread for recommendations. My birthday is next week so maybe I can give my DH some hints as to what I want :look:

ctosha

Quick UPDATE:

I found a dryer at a local bss. It's by a manufacturer I have never heard of. The name is RED by KISS. It's the same company that sells the KISS make up line.

The had two models. I chose the cheaper one @ $59.99 plus tax. I have not used it yet...will be doing my hair tonight. If I like it I may go back and exchange it for the higher end model. The only down side is that I can NOT get a cash refund if it does not work to my liking. :( But I NEEDED a dryer ASAP...so I took the risk! Below are are links to the dryer I purchased and the higher end model.

If any one has experience with this brand please chime in!

This is the one I have:

REDbyKISS DRYER Retail $59.99

The higher end model:

curling Retail $69.99

I will give a full review on performance.
This is the one I got from my bss. Mines a little different it is 1875 watt tourmaline and the hood is black. So far so good as I only used it do do my steam treatment with oil. Once my mom uses it to dry her roller sets ill let you know how she likes it.

Last edited:

Melody.Monroe

Looks very nice. I hope that it does well for you. I am looking into the same dryers because that is what my BSS carries also. Keep us informed...

Sunshine_One

Update: It's been 9 months since I purchased this dryer. I must say it definitely gets the job done. ctosha I saw the model you have also. I think it was a bit more expensive so I opted for the 1600 watt. Your model has a timer....how do you like it?

This dryer gets much hotter than my old Lazy Dazey so my roller sets dry much faster. As far as table tops go I think it's a good dryer. The one thing I don't like about this dryer is that the motor is loud. So I try not to use it late at night.

If your in the market for a table top dryer, IMO this dryer is a good option.

HTH