Best method for hiding my hair for 6 months

Which protective style works best when growing out hair?

• Lacefronts

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • Wigs

Votes: 108 39.0%
  • Weaves (sew-in)

Votes: 91 32.9%
  • Other

Votes: 89 32.1%

• Total voters

SmartyPants

I need to get off my daily flat iron regimen if I am going to grow my hair out. The problem is I have nl hair, and can not clip/bun because of the length. What's better? Weaves (sew-ins), wigs, or lf? What's your experience using these methods to grow out your hair?

My hair is about the same length as yours (maybe slightly longer). I roller set my hair. I've never owned a flat iron and I swore off curling irons years ago. If you like the straight look, use a larger roller. Or, you can use smaller rollers and wear your hair curly as a protective style.

I find that weaves, wigs, and braids do more harm than good for me because they really do not allow (force) me to take care of my hair. YMMV!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I use my LF, and I get good growth. I can phsyicaly get to my hair once a week as usual and do my whole regimen when I need to. I have a big forehead so it doesnt take out my edges, but braids will. I dont care if its under a sew-in or micros, they eat my edges away. I have the control under my LF I braid my hair into 8 cornrolls and throw my LF on, no damage at all.

BlackPearl1

I say just go ahead and get a sew in. That way your hair will be hidden for a few months and you won't have to worry about it. People tend to get frustrated and do crazy things (like cut off their hair :eek: ) when they're in those inbetween phases. We don't want that now, do we? :lol:

You are so not lying :nono: that was me about two weeks ago. I had to hide my scissors :nono:. I was so close to cutting it all off.

CurlsBazillion

I vote wigs full or half, and LF (no glue) so that you have access to your hair that way you can baby it more. You can wrap it or braid it down w/o tension under your wigs and still keep your regimen going minus the direct heat. I can't do sewins because I just can't stand not having full access to my hair and I scratch my scalp raw even tho I keep it clean, yeah I'm a lil off in that area, but thats just me. Gook luck!

virtuenow

Are there any updates from women who did this? Anyone successful at hiding for 6months? Or did u end up w/breakage or chewed up edges

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

appplecidder

I'm in a sew-in now that I'm keeping in for 6 months. I'm going on my 4th month in June. Everyone's hair is different. I've never experienced any problems with sew-ins. I kept it in last year around this time for five months. I think it's recommended that you only leave them in for 6-8 weeks at a time.

Wow six months you are the queen of weaves ediese.. Do you have a youtube by any chance?

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

lamaria211

for the ladies who hide there hair for months do you change your hair routine or do the same practices as if you were wearing your hair out?
and does wearing hair in braids under a wig to long meaning weeks or months at a time make your hair weaker??tia

SilverSurfer

I say sew ins over braids. I've been doing self install sew ins for the past 4 months and my hair has grown a lot, more than when I would wear my hair in braids. As for wigs or lace front wigs, I really can't say because I have never worn either one for an extended period of time to determine growth, those are usually my quick 2 days to a week in between styles.

operastarlet

I hid my hair for (well most of it) using half wigs. My hair grew SO much. I did it during the fall/winter and I'm VERY pleased with the results. I'm totally going to do it again.

SkySurfer

I use braids and twists, and have been on and off all my life, edges still intact lol. The low manipulation allows my hair to retain length nicely. I have senegalese twists right now :)

virtuenow

Do you use extensions for your braids and twists or a mixture of both?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App