Best method for hiding my hair for 6 months

Which protective style works best when growing out hair?

• Lacefronts

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • Wigs

Votes: 108 39.0%
  • Weaves (sew-in)

Votes: 91 32.9%
  • Other

Votes: 89 32.1%

• Total voters

jamaicalovely

I have had much success with sew ins. I've been in sew ins since Sept/Oct while growing out my short cut. Braids are cool too, but for some reason I get bored with them quick. The braids did get my new growth nice and thick.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Wow, I didn't eve know this was possible. Definitely another option. I am having trouble finding someone to do a weave, so maybe this would work out better.
Run over to BlackHairMedia when you have a minute, they have a forum all things lace front. The thing I like about them is that you can still pamper your hair by taking them off when ever you get ready, and they are so light, you dont' even have to wear a wig cap if you don't want to...I do because I pin mine onto the cap. You end up with two heads of hair to care for so consider that when you choose.. straight hair will require curling, curly hair needs conditioning and moisture, etc.

blazingthru

I think your hair is long enough for some bobbie pins or pretty clips. I wear my hair in a bun with a clip so I picked other. I got tired of weaves, which hurt me, Braids which thinnned my hair out, even fake twist wasn't a good thing. never tried the lace front never will. I rather just do my own hair it took me two years to decide that doing my own hair and pinning it up was best. so that is what I do. the hairzings are awesome. I like being in control of my hair washing it, deep conditioning it. whateever I want to do I can do, nothing stopping me nothing to take out or wait for. You have a lot of options I wish you luck on making the right choices for you. See if you can pin it up with bobbie pins and or get a clip and pin it up that way. If it doesn't work go futher but doing it this way will save you lots of money. Weaves and braids and lacefronts are very expensive. bobbie pins or a dollars -clips well can range from any price depending on what you want or where you get it I paid 15.00 for 20 of them.

wannabelong

I say just go ahead and get a sew in. That way your hair will be hidden for a few months and you won't have to worry about it. People tend to get frustrated and do crazy things (like cut off their hair :eek: ) when they're in those inbetween phases. We don't want that now, do we? :lol:

ITA with this post, especially the bolded. This is the very reason why I am in a sew in now. Previously, I wore half wigs and then I got fustrated with my hair and I was tempted to go back to my fade haircut. I'm so happy I got the sew in.

pazyamor

I do this minus the glue..glue is bad for the edges, my edges grow down to my eybrows :laugh:

ITA, my edges are cover my eyes and ears...but to the OP, I'm in the same boat and considering spending a little extra cash for a good sew-in, because it's about to be dry Cali "winter" (not really winter, just not as hot as usual for the next few months) and I always seem to get Cabin fever around this time...

Country gal

I had a wig tapped to my hair. It has worked nicely for about 3 weeks. I am trying to grow my hair to a full APL. I do want to do a sewn in next.

CenteredGirl

I am a long time wig wearer. I chose it because Lacefronts are expensive, have a potential Naomi Campbell/Tyra impact on edges. Extenstions (with added hair) tend to weigh hair down and cause excessibe shedding as do weaves. This is why I chose wigs.

nyc_beauty

I am the lace front queen. I don't attach them, I use bobby pins, I luvre them!! Best protective style ever!

ETA: my edges have never been better, but again I don't attach my LF's I just bobby pin them to my hair and wig caps...I keep my edges well oiled with shea (shescentit.com temple balm, or castor oil)

Can you share more about how you pin the lacefront to hair or wig cap? Also where are you purchasing your lacefronts ? TIA

cutiebe2

Right now I have a half wig and I love it because my hair is really protected. The health of my hair has increase 10 fold since getting one over the summer. But I always need to wear a headband with it so I want to move on to lace fronts

be careful with sew-ins...I won't even go near them because my hair is thin/fine but if you have stronger coarser hair you should be okay

Qetesh

I suggest you do loose cornrows under a lacefront, or wig getting them redone every 2-3 weeks and continuing to wash your hair every week.

this to me is the best way to hide your hair. you can even do box braids underneath if your hair is short enough.

i think the key thing is being able to properly care for your hair when you have the lacefront or wig on. if you get a sew in as long as its not damaging your hair and your hair is completely protected you can do whatever you like to hide it.

Galleta

when my hair was neck length and shorter, i used roller sets with perm rods as a protective style when growing it out.

RegaLady

ITA with this post, especially the bolded. This is the very reason why I am in a sew in now. Previously, I wore half wigs and then I got fustrated with my hair and I was tempted to go back to my fade haircut. I'm so happy I got the sew in.

I did this two days ago (cut my nade) and i painfully regretted it. DO NOT CUT HAIR in inbetween phases:nono::nono::wallbash::wallbash:. Hide it!

AtlantaJJ

This is exactly why I am hiding my hair until it gets to a certain length that I know I can deal with...other wise it would drive me crazy and I would either damage it or end up relaxing it. :shock: I'm safe this way and I am happily moving towards my goal.

This is good advice. :arrowup:

Mis007

Sew in's and wigs/half wigs...I personally could never sit down and plait my hair not only would it take for ever...but I don't think plaiting is as good as people say it is :nono:...there is alot of weighing down of the segment of hair not too mention the tension around the edges...I personally think more people have experienced hair damage from plaiting than any other method...Yes granted you have to know what you are doing (technique wise)...but if you say your hair is weak stay away from this...:yep:

Jazzmommy

I've used several techniques such as half wigs (my head is too big for a full wig.. LOL), individual braids -- never had an issue with my edges since they were not too small, and full sew-in weaves. I've been natural now for almost 2 years and have never worn my hair out.

kadej

I recommend a sew-in... just be sure to find a stylist and communicate all of your concerns.

hillytmj

I wore weave for six months when my hair was NL. I took it out every two months, and I only relaxed once during that time period and I had a ton of NG. I estimate that my hair grew 3-4 inches past SL.

I must caution you though - Make sure they are gentle with your hair when they wash your weave. Also, I think you should allow the professional to take it out, and unlike some other LHCF'ers who are much more hair savvy than me, I let them relax it immediately. There was no way I could even contemplate dealing with all that NG. Anyway, my only mistake was that before I could open my mouth, the stylist started chopping me up. I have learned as a result of this to tell them your demands up front (i.e. "I'm doing this to grow my hair," "Please do not cut my hair once it's relaxed," etc.)

ajoyfuljoy

I used to have neck length hair. Rollersetting got me past all of that and I could still wear it down everyday. I would just comb my hair going back and then roll it maybe 4-6 big rollers to keep loose curl.

DarkHair

During the colder months, I wear half-wigs. Doing this this past winter freed my hair of heat and manipulation. My hair felt and looked better.

mistee11

I voted wigs even though I just came out of a sew in last week. Weaves are good for growing the hair if you know how to take care of hair under it... same goes for wigs. I'm wearing a wig right now until I can get hair relaxed next weekend and then wait 2 more weeks before weaving again. I'll try to keep that weave in until Mid-December. So whether I'm weavin' or wiggin' it's all good I get really good strong healthy hair. :yep::grin:

luckiestdestiny

I need to get off my daily flat iron regimen if I am going to grow my hair out. The problem is I have nl hair, and can not clip/bun because of the length. What's better? Weaves (sew-ins), wigs, or lf? What's your experience using these methods to grow out your hair?
You can wear a weave but make sure to take care of it, and take it out every two months...and make sure it isn't too tight. It's the most effective I think for me. I did it, when I started growing my hair out from a buzz cut, and there was a point where I realized that I would have to flat iron it every day, or just keep cutting as it was going to be uneven during grow out. At that point, around 3 inches, I weaved it up, and kept doing it for 2 1/2 to 3 years. It was my only weave, and I felt like a sell out (I think that's stupid though and got over it). When I stopped, my hair stylist's mouth dropped as she blow dried it out. She was so used to just washing, and braiding. It was longer than it is now (I had a set back thyroid and had to cut it) and now it's closing in on mid back. So you know what I say weave it. I'm thinking about weaving mine so that it's low manipulation to get to waist. So go for it, but only if you can maintain it right. I made sure I got my hair washed and conditioned every week (with weave still intact of course). If I needed moisture I put in somebraid spray under the tracks. And most important to me is the combout. I think that's why lots of people's hair stays the same length when they have weaves *besides to tight, etc-is that the stylist combs hair violently before rebraiding. They knew I wasn't having that. I told them I was tender headed and I'd do it myself. I then sat there and slowly combed it out myself! They'd joke that I needed to remind them when I came because it was going to take so long to do my hair, as I combed so slow. But the results were worth it.

Last edited:

vestaluv1

I've been hiding my hair most of the time since March with wigs...

For me this is the best method because

• I can throughly wash and condition my hair every week
  • I can still do oil massages
  • I can deep condition my hair every week
  • I can through moisturise every day and concentrate on my ends
  • I can seal my ends
  • There is zero tension on my hair and hair line from sew-ins/braids
  • I can change the wig quick time if I want to
  • I can take it off, wrap my hair up at night and sleep comfortably
  • It costs less and is less time consuming

SundaiMorn

Wigs for me. I have been wearing wigs since Sept. This is the easy method for me. The only thing I do not like is sometimes they get oily from the products I am using on my hair.