Be-Weaveable!!!!

CurliDiva

If you get a compliment on your hair (and you have a receipt to proves you buy it ;) ), do you tell the person it is a weave or just say THANKS!

OK, do you really NEED TO tell people automatically that you are wearing a weave? A mandatory weave confession seems like a disclaimer to me- but you still have to take care of and style a weave to keep it looking good.

Ex. I would not tell someone I am using bleaching strips, if they complimented on my smile. However, I will say that it is a weave (and give any other hair advice- thanks to LHCF) if anyone asks.

I am not ashamed of my WEAVE, especially since I know that I am growing out healthy hair now but I tend to just say THANKS and keep going! :D

Am I wrong?

LovelyZ

uh, no. Unless it is a very close friend or family member, I say thank them and move on. No confession required.

sareca

I haven't had a weave before, but when people compliment my phony ponies I feel the need to confess.

Person: I love your hair.
Me: Me too! I got it on sale. (strokes hair lovingly)

lveurslf

I had the same question. What if they compliment you and ask something like "Did you cut your hair?" or "what did you do to your hair?" (i.e. people at work who have no clue about hair). What do you do?

qtgirl

When I've worn a weave I've always told even though my friends would ask why I did, but I just feel like a fraud if someone is saying MY hair is nice and it's not my hair growingout of my head.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
When I wore weaves/ponytails and received compliments, I confessed to family, friends, co-workers, etc. I was always afraid of it slipping off or someone finding a loose thread or something. Many said they wouldn't have known if I didn't say anything.

Once my friend's ponytail fell off soon after she left the salon and turned the corner (that's too embarassing). Another friend saw train doors close on a woman's ponytail as she exited the train. Yep, I was very paranoid after those two incidents. :sekret:

Last edited:

CurliDiva

Each of you make some great points! ;)

I just feel like part of the need to confess is DENYING that I had anything to do with the hairstyle looking good. A weave can look jacked up, just like real hair. I hate see someone with a weave that looks like it has not been combed in days.

p.s. victorious- My hair falling off that was my deepest fear when I had an instant weave last fall. :eek:

asummertyme

funny this was brung up, today 1 lady came up to me and said oooh i love your hair!...i said thnx and kept it moving..then another lady came up to me like inspector gadget and said..excuse me..i like your hair..i say thnx..then she says where did u get it from..lol..i said lugo's, she says..thats the name of the hair? i say no..its wet and wavy...so i guess some people are bolder than others..

BahaGirl

As I was waiting in line at the Cleaners, some guy kept trying to talk to me and he said he liked my hair. I gave him a look like are you serious? And he had a dead serious look on his face. I have a long ponytail and it's rather obvious to me that it's a weave so I didn't know what to say to him.