Baka Beauty Natural-Laxer

VinDieselsWifey

Has anyone ever tried this product? It's at the treasuredlocks.com website. It has only one ingredient, some type of herb from Africa. It seems similar to a henna treatment. They also have Sahara Clay. Both are supposed to loosen the curl gradually. It won't make your hair straight, just help with the bulk. It sounds good, but I wanted to know if anyone has used it before. Thanks

SherryLove

oh my God.....this is like dejavu........i was just reading about them over at treasured locks....it sounds really good....
my curiousity is piqued.....

GodMadeMePretty

I have tried it ladies. This past weekend. I didn't notice any decreased bulk yet but I have only done one treatment. It says to use it for 3 weeks in a row to get the maximum benefit.

What I can say is that for the 3 treatments if you're ALL natural, one little tiny packet is NOT going to be enough. I have almost a year's worth of new growth and my hair LAUGHED, do you hear me LAUGHED, at that one packet. And this was only on the new growth. I had bought 6 packets anyway intending to use it on my daughter to help with the tangles. But I'll have to order some more for her because I will be using up all 6 on my head alone for the 3 weekly treatments. Her hair will probably take only 3 because she has fine hair.

Back to the review. I play in my new growth all the time and I love to feel the texture. I did notice that after this one treatment that I felt like I had done a braidout. I got deep waves in the crown of my head which before all I could feel was frizz. I could actually feel the definition of the strands. It has elongated the strands slightly. I bought the clay that the site says to use in conjunction with the natural laxer to get increased straightness but I didn't use it yet.

I did the treatment on Sunday night and I rinsed my hair again on Tuesday night and it didn't "revert" to the way it was. After this weekend, I'll bump this thread and give another review of the second treatment and then the third one when I'm done. I'll probably use the clay for the second and third.

I can say that you MUST use a moisturizing conditioner after it, preferably a deep conditioner with heat because when it rinsed out, it was SQUEAKY clean. But not a stripped feel. I only used cholesterol with tea tree oil for a few minutes and my hair wasn't overly dry, but I can only imagine what it would have felt like if I had used a "lesser" rinse-out conditioner.

My leave-in was diluted Humectress only. Nothing else. Not even a moisturizer. Not too bad. And my hair is softer which is a big plus for me. After my rinse on Tuesday night, I did use B&B oil moisturizer with castor oil along with diluted Humectress and it's still soft.

As long as I don't have to do this weekly, I'll be OK. Because it was NOT easy to rinse out. I didn't want to keep using shampoo to get it out so I wound up using gobs of cholesterol to remove it which I guess isn't a bad thing. Maybe that's why my hair came out so soft. I used up half the container because I was scooping by the handfuls to detangle and rinse out the natural-laxer. I made the mistake of doing the initial shampooing in the kitchen sink which I haven't done in almost a year. I forgot why I stopped doing that. Dumb me - tangles.

I hope this helps you ladies.

SherryLove

thanks for the review.....i was reading the instructions on using (Naturalrelaxer) it with the sahara clay, and it just seemed to be too many dang steps. However, I am definitely interested in it.
You must keep us posted.......I truly believe they are safe to use, just time consuming as heck.....

aqualung

I'm very interested! *toggling the thread*

GMMP, I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around the application process even though I read the instructions on the website.

Questions:
-You saturated your hair with the Natural-Laxer and then sat under a heating bonnet?
-No smoothing?
-No scalp irritation?

SherryLove

it does seem a bit much........i am trusting there will be no scalp irritiation because there are no chemicals involved......

GodMadeMePretty

Here were the steps (which is why I didn't do the clay):
1. Shampoo hair and towel dry.
2. Mix laxer powder with 4 oz of hot water to form paste. 3. Apply mixture to hair. I applied it with my hands.
4. Put on plastic cap and put on a heating cap. (I bought the cap they have on the treasuredlocks site and my husband couldn't stop laughing at my "helmet.") It says to put on for 45 minutes under the dryer or 3 times that long without the dryer. I left mine in forever because I was doing a lot of stuff. So I probably had mine in for about 3-4 hours. It was nice and gooey by then.

No smoothing or anything. Just making sure that your hair is saturated with the stuff - hence the thick-haired people will need more than one packet. There was no irritation.

5. After shampooing it out, you follow it with a conditioner.
6. Then you're supposed to put the clay in (I forget how long) and then rinse it out. No shampoo.

It took forever for it to rinse out because I had tangled my hair by shampooing over the sink before the application. Never again.

I estimate that with the laxer plus the clay, it should take about 2 hours from first shampoo to final rinse-out, including the sitting and marinating time. Not too bad for 3 weeks in a row. After that, about 6-8 weeks is what they recommend.

I didn't feel anything on my scalp.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
Here were the steps (which is why I didn't do the clay):
1. Shampoo hair and towel dry.
2. Mix laxer powder with 4 oz of hot water to form paste. 3. Apply mixture to hair. I applied it with my hands.
4. Put on plastic cap and put on a heating cap. (I bought the cap they have on the treasuredlocks site and my husband couldn't stop laughing at my "helmet.") It says to put on for 45 minutes under the dryer or 3 times that long without the dryer. I left mine in forever because I was doing a lot of stuff. So I probably had mine in for about 3-4 hours. It was nice and gooey by then.

No smoothing or anything. Just making sure that your hair is saturated with the stuff - hence the thick-haired people will need more than one packet. There was no irritation.

5. After shampooing it out, you follow it with a conditioner.
6. Then you're supposed to put the clay in (I forget how long) and then rinse it out. No shampoo.

It took forever for it to rinse out because I had tangled my hair by shampooing over the sink before the application. Never again.

I estimate that with the laxer plus the clay, it should take about 2 hours from first shampoo to final rinse-out, including the sitting and marinating time. Not too bad for 3 weeks in a row. After that, about 6-8 weeks is what they recommend.

I didn't feel anything on my scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

GMMP --- is your hair still ok today???????

SherryLove

Earlier today, I visited www.naturallycurly.com and did a search on baka natural-laxer and sahara clay..a couple of ladies over there have/or are using it without suffering any hair damage whatsoever. One girl noticed her hair becoming stronger......I have come to the conclusion, Baka Natural-Laxer and sahara clay are nothing more than deep conditioners/hair strengtheners that over time helps to keep napptural hair soft and detangled....
I thought to myself that AO GPB has the same if not similar properties....I know of a natural that uses GPB and loves it for softening/strengthening her hair....Just some food for thought.....

GodMadeMePretty

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Still soft to the touch. I'm really liking this aspect of it. Also the more defined crimps in my hair. It's time for my next treatment. Woohoo.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Still soft to the touch. I'm really liking this aspect of it. Also the more defined crimps in my hair. It's time for my next treatment. Woohoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool...do you feel you could get those same results with a good deep conditioner???????

GodMadeMePretty

The softness can probably be attained by leaving a conditioner in for a long time just like I did with this. But I've never had a conditioner to define/stretch the crimps like this one. But then again, I've not tried the "curly-haired" products either, like John Frieda or Curly Pudding or something like that.

I'm waiting for it decrease the bulk which I assume occurs because the curls are going to be straightened a bit. That's what I bought it for. I'll see what happens. If it doesn't, I had a very expensive deep conditioning treatment.

GodMadeMePretty

My second treatment was done Saturday beginning at about 10:30. I shampooed my hair in the shower this time and I only planned on leaving it in for the recommended time. Enter my husband and his losing track of time and I had to add an hour to my time because I had to take my stepdaughter to her dress rehearsal. 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back all with this goo and a plastic cap on my hair.

As I was putting it on, my daughter came in and in typical 5-year old "say what you think" style, she tells me that "Ewwww, that looks like poop." And "it smells like poop too." OK, it didn't smell like poop, it had an herbal/grassy smell to it, but it did look like it.

So, after I get back from running across the city and stopping in at McDonald's to get my daughter a Happy Meal, all the while ignoring the stares of the drivethru people, I proceed to wash this stuff out. My hair obviously wants to form a love affair with this stuff because it did not want to wash out. It wasn't like my hair got hard or anything, but little herb particles were all throughout my hair. After spending a LOT time on the rinse-out, I decided that I wasn't going to do the Sahara Clay again. I just didn't have the time. This stuff is NOT easy to get out. Maybe if I had a more forceful showerhead or if I was able to maneuver it closer to my head, it would have been easier. But such is not the case so if you have no detachable showerhead attachment, prepare to spend at least 15-20 minutes getting all the particles out under running water. And then spending some time out of the shower making sure you got everything.

I do like the way my hair feels. I still don't see any major decrease in bulk until I comb out the waves/coils. I guess that is what they mean when they say it straightens. Once I comb it out, there's very little shrinkage back into the coils except in the crown which is the coarsest part of my hair.

My hair is showing more length than normal (slightly) even without combing it out. For very tightly coiled hair, I don't think this is going to work to straighten AT ALL. I'm going to be doing a rinse-out/conditioner wash sometime this week and I'll let you all know how it goes. My hair seemed to react very well after the mid-week rinse last week and the shampoo on Saturday prior to the laxer application.

At this time, I'm leaning more towards - "Spend your money elsewhere." But we'll see after I straighten it (flat iron) next week after the third treatment in anticipation of my family reunion. It may be that it will shorten the straightening time.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
I have tried it ladies. This past weekend. I didn't notice any decreased bulk yet but I have only done one treatment. It says to use it for 3 weeks in a row to get the maximum benefit.

What I can say is that for the 3 treatments if you're ALL natural, one little tiny packet is NOT going to be enough. I have almost a year's worth of new growth and my hair LAUGHED, do you hear me LAUGHED, at that one packet. And this was only on the new growth. I had bought 6 packets anyway intending to use it on my daughter to help with the tangles. But I'll have to order some more for her because I will be using up all 6 on my head alone for the 3 weekly treatments. Her hair will probably take only 3 because she has fine hair.

Back to the review. I play in my new growth all the time and I love to feel the texture. I did notice that after this one treatment that I felt like I had done a braidout. I got deep waves in the crown of my head which before all I could feel was frizz. I could actually feel the definition of the strands. It has elongated the strands slightly. I bought the clay that the site says to use in conjunction with the natural laxer to get increased straightness but I didn't use it yet.

I did the treatment on Sunday night and I rinsed my hair again on Tuesday night and it didn't "revert" to the way it was. After this weekend, I'll bump this thread and give another review of the second treatment and then the third one when I'm done. I'll probably use the clay for the second and third.

I can say that you MUST use a moisturizing conditioner after it, preferably a deep conditioner with heat because when it rinsed out, it was SQUEAKY clean. But not a stripped feel. I only used cholesterol with tea tree oil for a few minutes and my hair wasn't overly dry, but I can only imagine what it would have felt like if I had used a "lesser" rinse-out conditioner.

My leave-in was diluted Humectress only. Nothing else. Not even a moisturizer. Not too bad. And my hair is softer which is a big plus for me. After my rinse on Tuesday night, I did use B&B oil moisturizer with castor oil along with diluted Humectress and it's still soft.

As long as I don't have to do this weekly, I'll be OK. Because it was NOT easy to rinse out. I didn't want to keep using shampoo to get it out so I wound up using gobs of cholesterol to remove it which I guess isn't a bad thing. Maybe that's why my hair came out so soft. I used up half the container because I was scooping by the handfuls to detangle and rinse out the natural-laxer. I made the mistake of doing the initial shampooing in the kitchen sink which I haven't done in almost a year. I forgot why I stopped doing that. Dumb me - tangles.

I hope this helps you ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for posting this......
I am definitely thinking of just leaving the AO prods in a little longer to help manage my natural hair....

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
For very tightly coiled hair, I don't think this is going to work to straighten AT ALL...
At this time, I'm leaning more towards - "Spend your money elsewhere."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doomed to lye forever!

GodMadeMePretty

I think this stuff gets better with time. I did try something out last night. My hair just felt so healthy. I used my Denman brush to brush my hair DRY! I couldn't believe it. No breakage, no nothing. It worked better than when I put the moisturizer in it. The moisturizer clumped my hair.

Then I did the ultimate no-no. I went to bed without a scarf. So I had a helmet when I woke up. But my hair is laying flat where I brushed it. I certainly didn't have time to brush all my hair, so I finger-combed the rest into my ponytail.

The more natural hair I get, the more I realize why I went back to the relaxer. It takes 5 times as long for me to do my hair naturally than it did with a relaxer. And I am certainly a minimalist.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
I think this stuff gets better with time. I did try something out last night. My hair just felt so healthy. I used my Denman brush to brush my hair DRY! I couldn't believe it. No breakage, no nothing. It worked better than when I put the moisturizer in it. The moisturizer clumped my hair.

Then I did the ultimate no-no. I went to bed without a scarf. So I had a helmet when I woke up. But my hair is laying flat where I brushed it. I certainly didn't have time to brush all my hair, so I finger-combed the rest into my ponytail.

The more natural hair I get, the more I realize why I went back to the relaxer. It takes 5 times as long for me to do my hair naturally than it did with a relaxer. And I am certainly a minimalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I will have to keep my napptural hair braided and maybe press it every once in a while.....I will definitely be in for a challenge.....

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I would love to try it, but my hiar is naturally blonde (I am albino) so my hair would be stained.

I would only be able to use the clay stuff which is the latenrative for peeps with blonde hair 9or an extra for those that use the naturalaxer...

sprungonhairboards

I tried this product a couple of times about a year ago and like was said already it is nothing more than a really good deep conditioner but it has too many steps and takes too long and is too hard to rinse out to justify the minimal effects imo. It did not straighten or lenghten my hair at all. Just made it softer and a little more manageable. Since then my hairs condition has improved greatly through other methods so i doubt i would go through all that again.

Chinagem

I agree with u, sprung. I tried this too and it was just too hard to rinse out and I didn't notice softer hair.

ChoKitty

It sounds interesting, but, I'm afraid to try anything with the word Baka in the name? It means idiot...Heh, I'm weird.

cafe_au_lait

Hi guys! I know I am a little late on this thread, but I have tried this product, too, as well as the sahara clay, and I feel that since I learn so much from you guys I should share my experiences as well :D I have used it three times as a natural a few months ago, all applications within about 2 months time. The first time I did not follow up with the sahara clay, as everyone else noticed the process can be quite time consuming... :ohwell: but the next two applications I did use the clay afterwards. Basically, I agree with what everyone else said -- if you are looking for straightening, or even true texturizing, then look elsewhere. This product does define your kinks and make them sort of clump together in a more curly, less frizzy sort of way, but for me it wasn't enough of a difference to affect the way I was able to style my hair -- I also felt that it air-dried more curly-kinky for a while, but after a few weeks it seemed to regain some of its previous frizz. Plus, I felt that certain sections of my head never did get curly in the first place, even though my head was saturated with the product for at least 2 hours under a hood dryer and then slept in it under a warm towel each time (it could be because I only used one pack each time, and not two -- by the way I have fine, kinky 4a with no defined curls except in the crown of my head, and a little head at that -- I never even THOUGHT about using two packets)! :lol:

One thing that is probably worth mentioning is a word of advice -- make sure that you actually do the allergy test, since this is a herbal product that is not really encountered by our American skin (it's a primarily African plant, I think). I didn't, but I noticed that I was slightly itchy around my neck, shoulders, and just itchy in general for DAYS after rinsing this product out of my hair in the shower (it DOES take a lot of rinsing...) I also noticed -- and ladies, I tell you this ONLY because I must tell it like it is (and cause I didn't put MY picture in my avatar so ya'll can't run into me on the street and laugh!) -- but one fairly long curly hair (like, 1.5 inches when stretched) grew from my neck under my chin not once but TWICE after two of my three treatments! :perplexed This has NEVER happened to me before, and hasn't since I stopped using the treatment, so I would put money on the fact that my body had some weird reactions to this product...

One other thing I want to stress, though -- it IS an excellent conditioning treatment, you can honestly FEEL your hair is stronger for weeks after this treatment. And this is coming from ME, the one who takes her fine kinks to a salon for a trim and a blowout and needs another trim by the time I get home! :eek: So, I have one pack left of the natural relaxer and the clay, and before I color my hair blonde at the end of this summer (I plan on going for the gold, literally, at a salon using Aveda professional color before I completely relocate to Miami!) I will do another treatment of this stuff despite the possible side effects! I know, I know, what a girl won't do for her hair! :woot: And I promise I won't buy it anymore...

Ok, Ok, I'm gonna add my 2 cents worth in here... I tried this product about two years ago. Initially, I thought I kinda liked it my hair was less frizzy, but after a few weeks I noticed that it was even more dry and experienced some breakage. In all fairness I did not use the clay with it, maybe that would have helped.The breakae was not severe, just enough to make me stop using it.
Over the past year I found the Freshlook Bodiphier online and I love this stuff. Very easy to apply and rinse out. All natural, tames frizz, leaves hair shiney. It will not make your hair straight- unless you blow dry or flat iron. For me that works well bc I love curly hair, so now my curls are more defined and frizz free. I can just shampoo apply leave in conditioner and go, or blow dry or wet to dry flat iron. You can also color your hair with this, I use henna. Well, I thought I would share my expeirnces. If the Baka products work for you and you are happy with them then rejoice and continue using it! If you are searching for another natural way to loosen your curls then at least check out the bodiphier product http://www.freshlookhair.com/site/681420
Hope this helps.

ajargon02

VinDieselsWifey said:
Has anyone ever tried this product? It's at the treasuredlocks.com website. It has only one ingredient, some type of herb from Africa. It seems similar to a henna treatment. They also have Sahara Clay. Both are supposed to loosen the curl gradually. It won't make your hair straight, just help with the bulk. It sounds good, but I wanted to know if anyone has used it before. Thanks

ya my mom tried that crap:mad: , no offense. Not only is it a texturizer, but it's a terrible one! A whole lot of her hair fell out and all they offered was a refund! I wouldn't touch that stuff! If you want a looser curl pattern, just ask the texturizers around here, I am sure they can tell you a good brand to use, that's cheaper, and you won't walk around looking like a fool w/ gobbs,and goobs of missing hair, and of what's left, have 1/3 wavy,1/3 curly, and 1/3 straight! :perplexed

Lucia

Sorry to burst the bubble but I always do background checks on main ingredients in new products and I found this site describing the actual plant which is considered toxic even though it's natural. Daphne gnidium L is the main ingredient.

http://www.botanical-online.com/alcaloidesdaphneangles.htm

Scientific Noun: Daphne gnidium L.
Daniel Martínez Bou

Family: Daphne family - Thymelaeaceae

Habitat: Mediterranean Europe and middle east. By the Mediterranean woods, shrubs and by the walls of cultivated lands.
Poisons: Mezerein and daphnetoxin.

Active parts: The whole plant, especially the fruits.

Uses : Traditionally it has been used as a drastic purgative, specially its bark dried to be powdered. Externally , applied in the manner of plasters, to get rid of furuncles or for drying wounds. Even to kill hair lice or ticks in animals.

Considering it very poisonous, it is not advisable its use in any of the home preparations mentioned above.

It particularly attracts partridges and hens, which eat its fruits with a great devotion

Toxicity : Extreme.

Symptoms: Used internally, it produces a violent irritation of the intestinal mucosas of the digestive tract, which is clearly shown as vomiting, sometimes containing blood, burn, headache, vertigo reduction of heart beat, up to the point of causing death, especially with the ingestion of its fruits that are particularly toxic for children. Similar symptoms are produced when animals eat its fruits, bark or leaves. It has a percentage of mortality of about a 30 %.

When applying plasters on the affected part of the skin, it produces very painful blisters, so it would be better to use another treatments.

Medical treatment : Administration of vomitives, gastric lavage and dermatitis therapy.

Lucia

ajargon02 said:
ya my mom tried that crap:mad: , no offense. Not only is it a texturizer, but it's a terrible one! A whole lot of her hair fell out and all they offered was a refund! I wouldn't touch that stuff! If you want a looser curl pattern, just ask the texturizers around here, I am sure they can tell you a good brand to use, that's cheaper, and you won't walk around looking like a fool w/ gobbs,and goobs of missing hair, and of what's left, have 1/3 wavy,1/3 curly, and 1/3 straight! :perplexed

Wow I'm sorry that happened to her, that's so wrong, they just make their money and jack up people's hair.
There's always cond and gel with shingling technique.