Ayurveda Progress

nakialovesshoes

Oh Nakia- the same thing happened to me and I felt so silly that I didnt even post it. Its an astringent- so if it tingles your scalp- it'll irritate your eye. Sorry girl- I know just how you feel:assimilat

I'm thinking maybe a grain must've gotten in there or something. I don't know but my eye is still hurting & that's been over an hour ago.

I'm also realizing that I didn't post my results - I don't know what's going on w/the growth b/c I'm actually trying 2 go a year w/o flat ironing to check my growth. When I stretch it, I can tell it has grown some but I don't know how much. I've noticed that my hair seems darker but right now I'm combatting some serious dryness issues so I prettymuch can't see any other benefits.:nono:

LaShanne

I have been using Ayurvedic products for almost 3 months now, and I have softer, silkier, thicker/denser hair, dark richer color, no breakage, way less shedding, shine without sheen sprays, pomades or glosses, and my roots at 12 weeks post still look like I just got them relaxed. I am thinking about transitioning! I don't know if it did anything for my growth, but I rollerset to straighten, so it's hard to tell. Overall, I love Ayurvedic hair care!

MedMunky,
what ayurvedic hair care products are you using?

MissMasala5

LaShane, I prepoo with amla, neem, vatika, brahmi and shikakai oils that are mixed with a concoction of molasses, garlic, EVOO and castor oil. I rinse and either cowash with Tresemme B5& Aloe condish 2x/week or wash with shikakai bar 1x/week. Tomorrow I will use powders for the first time.

Nakia, I hope your eye gets better! I am so sorry that happened to you.

nakialovesshoes

LaShane, I prepoo with amla, neem, vatika, brahmi and shikakai oils that are mixed with a concoction of molasses, garlic, EVOO and castor oil. I rinse and either cowash with Tresemme B5& Aloe condish 2x/week or wash with shikakai bar 1x/week. Tomorrow I will use powders for the first time.

Nakia, I hope your eye gets better! I am so sorry that happened to you.

Thanks -- it's finally starting to feel a little better.

Dare~to~Dream

I am only using Redd Tweety's Gro-aut oil which is ayurveda,, and it is the bomb, serious growth from using it. The best growth aid I have ever used.

Okay, why is this making me want to order? I'm a sucker for growth stimulants (external) and have tried most at least once (still trying to find that miracle product? :lol:)....the only thing I haven't (and more than likely won't) try is the MN stuff. I'm going to check out this product further to see if I want to take the plunge. :blush3:

Lovelylocs

:lol: Some of the grains from the rinse got into my eye the first time I did it and it was burning like crazy too! So next time, I was extra careful to make sure that it fully dissolved before I added the cold water to the mixture.

I love my ayurvedic progress! My hair is so much bouncier, sleeker, healthier, shinier, and more vibrant! I will do this forever... :look: Or until a new bandwagon comes along and offers smthg more. :lol:

BrooklynSouth

I now prepoo with mustard oil sometimes other oils such as coconut or sulfur mix. Shampooing with Swastik Shikakai shampoo is wonderful then a leave-in topped with almond/shikakai/amla oil to seal is a present for my hair. I'm on the wig challenge so I love the way my hair is still well break/shed free/moisturized at day's end.

HotRibena

I'm looking to try this. I just ordered some amla and shikakai oils. Exactly what products are you ladies using?

I'm using the Shikakai, amla, and vatika oils and also the shikakai and amla powders. Today I went to the Indian store and added bhringraj oil, jasmine oil, aritha powder and henna to my collection. Not sure how I'll incorporate them into my regimen yet (most of my products are either made by Hesh or Dabur).

kiesha8185

• less breakage and shedding
  • stronger hair
  • faster growth
  • thicker/fuller hair
  • shine shine shine!
  • my hair is very silky, a term I've never used to describe my hair before
  • my hair airdries soft and moisturized with no products
  • retains moisture longer...only moisturize once a week
  • detangling is a breeze, even in the crown
Oils I use: almond, castor, coconut oils soaked in hibiscus flowers and fenugreek seeds
Powders I use: amla, shikakai, aritha, neem, brahmi, bhringraj, henna, indigo

The only minor con is that this stuff changed my texture, sometimes I don't even look like I'm relaxed :look: But it's ok, I've learned to work with it. My twist outs come out much fuller.

Candy_C

Okay - I'm hoping these pictures aren't too big..

This is a month's worth of growth in my hairline BEFORE I started using Amla: The first picture is from Sept 18, the second is from Oct 11.

This is a picture of my hair WITH Amla.....The first picture is Dec 20, the second picture is jan 18.... I wish I had a more pulled back style in December, as it would make it clearer....

ETA: I STARTED using Amla on Dec 03.

And I WISH I had been smart enough to take pictures of the same side of my head. :rolleyes:

I think there has been an increase in the growth rate, but I could be fooling myself...if anything, I think my hair looks darker and - richer - somehow........ I started using the indians herbs.... heck, I'll have to dig through my old posts and see... I'll come back and update that in a bit.

So - what do ya'll think? Is it helping?

Beautiful natural hair!

Your texture seems to have loosened a bit, have you noticed this yourself, and do you find your hair easier to comb out? thats the first thing i personally noticed with myself

Candy_C

I don't know that my growth has increased but I got so many comments about how thick it looked when I wore it out. I was hoping for 3 inches in two weeks so that may be contributing to my disappointment/hair anorexia-LOL. I've just a little bit more to get to apl so I guess I was trying to rush it. I took a before pic and I guess I'll wait until April to see what the after is. I'm still on the aaa grind though:yep:

3 inches is setting your standards high but why not anything is possible. how about amssaging your scalp daily with mahbhringeraj...3 inches may not be so hard to believe!

Belle Du Jour

This is only week 3 with these products. I prepoo with Amla (it's marinating now :grin:) on my dry hair for 1+ hours. (not overnight because the smell is too strong) I then mix some shikakai powder with water and work that into my dry hair, let that sit for a few minutes and than rinse out. Then I continue with the rest of my routine. Even though my routine is not as extensive, I can see a difference. My natural hair is more cottony if that makes sense. It's soft but not limp. I don't want to b overzealous but I think I even see some growth. :look: If there's anything else I should be doing, someone please let me know. As of know, I plan to continue with at least these two additional steps because it's not that much more than what I'm already doing.

ShiShiPooPoo

Yes, I am def. seeing progress. My hair is stronger and more resilent than before. I absolutely love my shikakai and aritha bars for poo'ing and I doubt that I will ever go back to regular poo. Also, I love Amla powder and will probably use that instead of the Amla oil...the oils...with the exception of Vatika...not so fond of. I will use up my oils for pre pooing and then not buy anymore of those. As far as henna, I found that this keeps my hair nice and strong...and Jamila henna:lick:? It is the absolute bomb. It was soooooo easy to rinse from my hair and didn't leave me all crispy:yep:. So my ayurveda regime will be: Vatika pre poo, shampoo bars, add Amla powder to my deep conditioner, and henna when necessary. DONE!

JustKiya

Beautiful natural hair!

Your texture seems to have loosened a bit, have you noticed this yourself, and do you find your hair easier to comb out? thats the first thing i personally noticed with myself

Thank you!! I :love: it too, finally!

It has loosened a bit, but I wasn't sure if that was due to my new 'all protective styles/all the time' routine, so my hair hasn't FULLY shrunken up in.... months, or if it was the henna, or if it was the lactic acid treatments, or if it was the ayurvedics - so I didn't mention it here....

I definitely think it's gotten darker and shiner - the oct and jan pictures are both on freshly taken down, unwashed hair - the difference in my hair color is almost shocking. And I think it's getting - silkier too, which is just amazing for me!

I need to get up and go fix some 'tea' right now. :grin:

Candy_C

Thank you!! I :love: it too, finally!

It has loosened a bit, but I wasn't sure if that was due to my new 'all protective styles/all the time' routine, so my hair hasn't FULLY shrunken up in.... months, or if it was the henna, or if it was the lactic acid treatments, or if it was the ayurvedics - so I didn't mention it here....

I definitely think it's gotten darker and shiner - the oct and jan pictures are both on freshly taken down, unwashed hair - the difference in my hair color is almost shocking. And I think it's getting - silkier too, which is just amazing for me!

I need to get up and go fix some 'tea' right now. :grin:

tee hee, go get your fix! :yep:

phyl73

I have noticed a difference also. My hair is darker and stronger also. I try to do the powders and oils daily. I found myself needing this time to unwind and relax when I got home. I really love it. I didn't get to do my regime yesterday and for some reason, I felt as if I forgot to do something very important. I'm trying to cut down to every other day, but will do it as I feel.:yep:

JustKiya

I have noticed a difference also. My hair is darker and stronger also. I try to do the powders and oils daily. I found myself needing this time to unwind and relax when I got home. I really love it. I didn't get to do my regime yesterday and for some reason, I felt as if I forgot to do something very important. I'm trying to cut down to every other day, but will do it as I feel.:yep:

:yep: Oooh, interesting but true - I really feel like I've MISSED something on the days that I've 'scheduled' to do Ayurvedics, but don't. It's supposed to be all about mind/body health though, so it would make sense, I suppose.

aja1121

My hair since Ayurveda:

-stronger
-less breakage
-softer/silkier
-never dry

I prepoo with Shikakai oil and Alma oil overnight. I apply Shikakai oil to my scalp and then massage for 2 minutes. Then I apply the alma oil to my hair.

The following day I wash with my Alma/Shikakai paste (2 parts Alma one part Shikakai) I just use less water.

I deep condition with Pantene R&N mask...just because, apply MTG to my wet scalp and then style. Once I find a better smelling substitute, I'm sticking to my MTG. Once my hair drys the MTG smell is gone. Not so much for my Shikakai.

I do this every 5 days.

growingbrown

My hair since Ayurveda:

-stronger
-less breakage
-softer/silkier
-never dry

I prepoo with Shikakai oil and Alma oil overnight. I apply Shikakai oil to my scalp and then massage for 2 minutes. Then I apply the alma oil to my hair.

The following day I wash with my Alma/Shikakai paste (2 parts Alma one part Shikakai) I just use less water.

I deep condition with Pantene R&N mask...just because, apply MTG to my wet scalp and then style. Once I find a better smelling substitute, I'm sticking to my MTG. Once my hair drys the MTG smell is gone. Not so much for my Shikakai.

I do this every 5 days.

Your hair looks great. Do you see a difference in thickness? I will start my official regime next weekend. I just relaxed Friday.

angellazette

It's been about 5 weeks since I had my trim/cut and I believe I am seeing growth, atleast in my bangs. I'll post pics later :grin:

wannabelong

Listen up folx: What I thought was an obvious exaggeration WAS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spinning: Divarox does not actually think hair grows that quickly, not even with monkey ball juice, hot rocks scalp treatments, dried camel spit or any product on the market.

Thanks in advance to any who understood that the first time

:funny:
I though everyone knew you were joking about the 3 inches in 2 weeks comment. We need to stop taking things so seriously. LOL!!!!

wannabelong

I'm thinking about taking a break from the powders, too. I did a rinse tonight & got some in my eye - my eye is still red & burning. I may replace the rinses w/the Gro-Aut line. :yep:

Girl, I got some in my eye one time. My eye was red for about two days. That mess BURNS. :burning: I think you can potentially go blind if you're not carfeful.

kiesha8185

How do you guys incorporate ayurveda into the "stretching" process?

There's nothing really different. I pre-poo, wash (with powder mixture), dc, and airdry. My hair doesn't get tangled at all using this stuff.

If your hair is getting hard at ANY point during the Ayurveda wash process, mess with your measurements of oil and/or water. Find out what works best. In the beginning when I first started using it, my hair did get hard with the mixtures in my hair. But I played with the measurements, and my hair stays soft and detangled the whole time. I have my ayurveda regimen in my fotki journal if you want more details.

SilentRuby

I just recently pre-poo'ed with olive oil, then washed with my shikakai bar :love: I had a hairgasm in the shower and out. My hair is so rich, healthy, seems like it darker, definitely shiny, and most importantly...I am able to comb through it (which I'm never able to do) :ohwell: My SO and dad keep telling me how great my hair looks and my dad also questioned if it is mine. You can't tell me I don't have Indian in me (Cherokee Indian, at that) :grin::drunk::yep:

Anyways, I plan to use more ayurvedic products :yep:

harrison

My hair is alot stronger now... and my greys are a nice auburn color..:grin:

I'm loving henna, and my shikaikai oil...

ricochet

I am a newbie to Ayurveda, but so far I am digging it. :) I started with a tea rinse of 3 tsp/Amla powder and 1 tsp Shikakai powder after a pre-poo of regular ol' coconut oil from the store on Sunday. My scalp was tingling to the point of stinging but my scalp has been irritated for 6 mo to a year so it was no different a feeling than my standard ACV rinse. I love antiseptic properties in hair treatments. My scalp sweats crazily when I work out and my pores are always open. Anywhoo, after the rinse my scalp was very clean, no buildup whatsover. My ultimate goal thru Ayurveda is stronger and darker hair. My hair color has changed over the years but I :heart2: my coal black hair from my childhood days and I want it back. :)

Three days later, which was Wednesday, I used the Shikakai soap to wash my hair. I used nothing else besides avocado oil after getting out of the shower, no pre-poo, no conditioner afterward. I can say that my hair definitely got clean and was, by no means, dry. I can't attribute any detangling properties to the bar as my hair was already detangled because it stays up all week in a twisted bun. I can definitely say my hair feels stronger, I don't why, but it does. It could be a light coating from the soap, I don't know. I didn't shed anymore than normal, and the hairs I pulled off the soap bar definitely had more elasticity after they dried when I went to clean the bar off. Like I said, I am a newbie to Ayurveda so I am gonna give it more time before I make any conclusions, but so far, I am really liking the treatments, head massages, and most of all, the prices!:yep:

chicacanella

• less breakage and shedding
  • stronger hair
  • faster growth
  • thicker/fuller hair
  • shine shine shine!
  • my hair is very silky, a term I've never used to describe my hair before
  • my hair airdries soft and moisturized with no products
  • retains moisture longer...only moisturize once a week
  • detangling is a breeze, even in the crown
Oils I use: almond, castor, coconut oils soaked in hibiscus flowers and fenugreek seeds
Powders I use: amla, shikakai, aritha, neem, brahmi, bhringraj, henna, indigo

The only minor con is that this stuff changed my texture, sometimes I don't even look like I'm relaxed :look: But it's ok, I've learned to work with it. My twist outs come out much fuller.

Ok, all these reasons and the fabulosity of your hair is why I must certainly try this Ayurvedic regimine.

I've heard many people say that it made their new growth more managable and loosened the wave. How would you say it has changed your texture?