Aveda Brilliant Serum to Eliminate Frizz

Isis

Peacelove, MizaniMami and other ladies using Aveda Brilliant Serum, since I've had previous successes with the Aveda Brilliant line, I would like to try this product to eliminate frizz under all conditions, including humidity.

Before purchasing I do have a few questions:

1. Do you have to clarify often when using Aveda Brilliant serum?

2. Also, how exacty do you apply it?

3. Do you put it on your wet hair, after your hair has dried or both?

4. Do you use it daily or is once enough?

5. What do you like most about this serum?

6. What don't you like about this serum?

Thank you so much ladies! :)

dimpalz

I've been using it for about a year, I also bought the light elements serum too, it's lighter tho so it's not as effective for them flyaways. That little bottle lasted me nearly a year, so it's good value

No, it doesn't have much build up
I apply it after I wash my hair either before or after I flat iron. And I use it daily with a DROP of oil because it's really light
I've never tried it on my wet hair, it's so light I doubt it what make much difference
I use it daily for some control but only 1 pump (definitely less than a dime)
It's very light and doesnt weigh your hair down
The price!
Thank you so much ladies! :)[/quote]

MizaniMami

Isis said:
Peacelove, MizaniMami and other ladies using Aveda Brilliant Serum, since I've had previous successes with the Aveda Brilliant line, I would like to try this product to eliminate frizz under all conditions, including humidity.

You will probably get a bias answer from me. This is one of the best things from Aveda! I love it! But here it goes

I clarify as normal it doesn't build up on me.

I usually use it before flat ironing on dry hair. I apply it to each section that I am going to flat iron. But this weekend I tried it on wet hair right before I blowdried. Pure -->:dinner: My hair came out so soft and silky!
Since I had put it on before I blowdried this past weekend, I just added a few drops througout my hair before I flat ironed instead of each section

For me once ever wash is enough. This stuff is the truth!

I love the "Aveda scent" I love the silky feel it has, I love the fact that it is thick and leaves the hair feeling very silky and straight

The price:( But since I am not big-handed with my stuff I thnk it is gong to last me a while.

Isis

Thank you Dimpalz, that's good information. I understand about the price too, that's why I thought I'd ask first.:)
BTW, are you saying the Aveda Brilliant serum bottle lasted you a year or the Light Elements serum bottle?

dimpalz

Well I had both, and I was using them together and alternating and I still have about half of each bottle left. I did prefer the brilliant to the light elements tho

Isis

dimpalz said:
Well I had both, and I was using them together and alternating and I still have about half of each bottle left. I did prefer the brilliant to the light elements tho
Thank you so much!!:)

Isis

MizaniMami said:
You will probably get a bias answer from me. This is one of the best things from Aveda! I love it! But here it goes

I usually use it before flat ironing on dry hair. I apply it to each section that I am going to flat iron. But this weekend I tried it on wet hair right before I blowdried. Pure -->:dinner: My hair came out so soft and silky!
Since I had put it on before I blowdried this past weekend, I just added a few drops througout my hair before I flat ironed instead of each section

I love the "Aveda scent" I love the silky feel it has, I love the fact that it is thick and leaves the hair feeling very silky and straight

The price:( But since I am not big-handed with my stuff I thnk it is gong to last me a while.
Thank you MizaniMami! I missed your reply a few minutes ago because we posted exactly at the same time!
It's good to hear your bias on this product. One of the best things from Aveda? That sounds pretty good to me. I really like that a little goes such a long way and that it doesn't build up on the hair. :yep:

princesslocks

No I don't have to clarify often not much build up.

I apply it every couple of days. I've also used it in a rollerset and the results were silky smooth.

3.Do you put it on your wet hair, after your hair has dried or both?
Yes.

I don't use it daily but there are occasions when I've used it more than once per week. I used some trhis morning :)

Everything about it. It's a staple.

Price. :(

Isis

Thank you Princesslocks. Hmm... the price is higher than most products (especially serums) but it sounds so far like it's worth it. :scratchch

carolina_belle

No. I don't get build-up with this product.

I pump a couple of drops in my palm then rub my hands together. Then I start at the ends and smooth to the roots. It seems to last longer that way.

Both. I put in on wet hair for a roller set then on dry hair as needed.

I like to use it every other day or so during the summer and daily during the winter. I mix it with Phyto 7 sometimes for moisture.

I love the smell like someone else mentioned. Also, it works really well with my fine strands.

6. What don't you like about this serum?[/B]
Nothing. It's been a staple since about 2001. I might stray sometimes due to my chronic PJism, but I always come back.

Isis

Thank you Carolina Belle!:) I'm really looking forward to checking this out at the Aveda salon.

peacelove

Isis said:

Hey there! Just saw this. My experience is this:

1. No. But then I don't have the problem with cones that other ladies do on the board. They seem to do OK on my hair. I clarify about every 5 weeks or so and that is enough.

2. I apply it to dry hair, usually after a roller set. I use it for sheen and gloss and the light oils. I sometimes use it before I blow dry on the rare occasion that I do.

3. see above.

4. I use it daily or every other day.

5. It provides a little more oil than most serums that are just all cones. But it is lighter than hair oil. And it smells like heaven (I'm big on that!)

6. Not as much slip as some other serums give me. I just tried Philosophy's new hair serum and it actually gives me more slip. But I will always have my Aveda around!

Hope that helps you. :)

Isis

peacelove said:
Hey there! Just saw this. My experience is this:

1. No. But then I don't have the problem with cones that other ladies do on the board. They seem to do OK on my hair. I clarify about every 5 weeks or so and that is enough.

2. I apply it to dry hair, usually after a roller set. I use it for sheen and gloss and the light oils. I sometimes use it before I blow dry on the rare occasion that I do.

3. see above.

4. I use it daily or every other day.

5. It provides a little more oil than most serums that are just all cones. But it is lighter than hair oil. And it smells like heaven (I'm big on that!)

6. Not as much slip as some other serums give me. I just tried Philosophy's new hair serum and it actually gives me more slip. But I will always have my Aveda around!

Hope that helps you. :)
Thank you so much Peacelove - this helps a lot!!:) I'm also glad it provides more oil than most serums.

Isis

Thank you ladies! :kiss: What great reviews! I went to the Aveda salon and applied my new serum today to my dried hair, in the salon restroom. Mmm, it really does smell so good and it works! It is my first, real serum experience.

The Aveda hairstylist (white) said he uses it on coarse hair but didn't really know much about it. Not like you ladies. He said he really prefers the Anti-Humectant, which I've been using (and will continue to use), but could not really say why when I prodded him. All of his knowledge seemed to be from the catalog rather than from his experience using it on his clients.

BTW, it's called Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss for anyone looking for it. I asked the stylist for the Aveda Brilliant Serum and he told me Aveda doesn't make a serum.

Anyway, my hair feels so soft and smooth and I love the shine. I have lots of body too. I love the lightness of this product and I used so little.
Everything you ladies said about it is true! Thank you!

Last edited:

Isis

TSUprincess04 said:
bumping....i want to try this stuff
It's been 4 months now and I love it! I use this serum everyday and I have about 1/3 of the bottle left. I figure this bottle lasts about 6 months for me and I'm probably using more on my hair than I need to.:)

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Is moisturizing your hair difficult after using this "serum?" Do the silicones in this serum affect moisturizing a lot?

comike

TSUprincess04 said:
Is moisturizing your hair difficult after using this "serum?" Do the silicones in this serum affect moisturizing a lot?

Unlike some other serums I've tried (e.g., Biosilk) it doesn't build up on your hair and doesn't interfere with moisturizers applied to the hair. I actually apply the serum during the summer months to wet hair. Started doing this about few months ago to see if it helped with humidity and it did. It also seems to help smooth the hair better when blow drying. Your hair immediately looks silky and polished when you apply and you only need 1-2 pumps of the serum in your hand to smooth throughout your hair. The bottle usually lasts me about 6-12 months.

MizaniMami

TSUprincess04 said:

I apply this serum to my hair twice a week to help with styling (after washing) and I have not had ANY problems with moisture penetrating. But then again I clarify regularily!

MizaniMami

Isis said:
It's been 4 months now and I love it! I use this serum everyday and I have about 1/3 of the bottle left. I figure this bottle lasts about 6 months for me and I'm probably using more on my hair than I need to.:)

I use this serum twice a week about 2-4 pumps at a time. i had it for about 9 mos now and I still have 70% of the bottle left. You DEF. get what you pay for. It is so concentrated.

natieya

This stuff made my hair super silky and smooth this weekend. I am so in love with this serum!:yep: I'll have pics soon to come...

ItsyBitsy

This is my favorite serum. You will definetly get your money's worth. I won 3 bottles on ebay & honestly they will last me the next couple of years :look: