Attention Coconut Oil Users!

Travis Girl

What brand of coconut oil are you using?
Is it an actual oil or cream?

I am moisturizing with NTM Silk Touch Leave-In Cream. :love2:Ooohh, I love it, any way... I'm trying to get my sealing routine together and I'm shopping around for an oil. I know some of you use Vatika, are there any other brands to compare with, or is it pretty much the best? Ladies tell me what you think....

ItsyBitsy

Travis Girl your hair is beautiful!
I use & love NTM too :yep:
I have never used coconut oil but I know alot of ladies like it & castor oil.

Travis Girl

ItsyBitsy--I was just admiring your hair a few minutes ago! Your hair is so beautiful and it looks like it'd swing like a dream!!!:yep: I think we might have the same type of hair. I'm a 3c, relaxed, fine textured and medium density too---but I'm trying to nurse mine back to health! What's your routine? Anything you personally can't do with out?

♦K.O♦

Your hair is so dark and shiny!

When I used coconut oil, it would be liquid at room temperature, and would solidify into a cream when the temperature dropped a little. Coconut oil didnt really agree with my hair, so I ditched it.

Travis Girl

Your hair is so dark and shiny!

When I used coconut oil, it would be liquid at room temperature, and would solidify into a cream when the temperature dropped a little. Coconut oil didnt really agree with my hair, so I ditched it.

Look at you! I'd love to have your thick ponytail! :grin:

What didn't you like about the coconut oil---was it drying, too thick, tacky...??? What oil are you using now?

ps...my siggy pix was when my hair was in top form...working my way back with the help of LHCF!

ItsyBitsy

ItsyBitsy--I was just admiring your hair a few minutes ago! Your hair is so beautiful and it looks like it'd swing like a dream!!!:yep: I think we might have the same type of hair. I'm a 3c, relaxed, fine textured and medium density too---but I'm trying to nurse mine back to health! What's your routine? Anything you personally can't do with out?

Thanks for the compliment! I think you're right...we might be hair twins :yep: Your hair look healthy to me. What are your "hair issues"?
I keep it simple......
Pre poo, wash, condition, rollerset every 5-7 days.
I wrap my hair at night, cover with a satin scraf
NTM for moisture, seal with serum or Joico Split End Mender (new find)
Relax & trim every 6-8 weeks. I got 1.5 inches cut off 3 weeks ago.

My hair "issues" are shedding (on wash day) & dryness (mostly my ends)

Products I can't do without...lets see...

Favorite Products
Aubrey Organics GPB & HSR (pre poo)
Body Shop Brazil Moisture Mask (pre poo)
Aveda DR poo & treatment (protein)
Kenra MC (moisture)
Aveda Shampure Shampoo
Giovanni Direct Leave-In (rollersets)
Aveda Brilliant Serum (rollersets & sealing)

New Favorites
NTM- on dry hair (moisture) i've only used this for about 1 month but so far I LOVE IT.
Fermodyl 619 -I've used this for 2 months & I LOVE IT! It really helps my hair retain moisture better.

That's about it..for now...:look:

Travis Girl

Hey ItsyBitsy! I'm dealing with dryness (especially the ends---all these layers) and a thinning hairline (I think it's either a bad previous touch up---left on too long in the front---bad hairdresser or stress) and frizzy/dry air drying results (I'm still trying to figure what works for me).

I just found an Aveda Concept Salon and I'm gonna given a try. I've been stretching to make sure I have enough new growth---scared of overlapping with a new hairdresser and all. I believe I will go for a shampoo to check it out before I allow them to relax. The relaxer they use is Design Essentials...though I've used Affirm for over 12 years. As long as her technique is good, I suppose it doesn't matter (or does it?)

I see you use a couple Aveda products. I just got the DR poo and condish and leave-in. I could tell a difference. I will stick with it.

Wash weekly and air dry or under my hard Dryer with a silk scarf and ponytail
Flat iron maybe once a month.
Wear my silk bonnet or scarf or just sleep on my satin pillowcase, nightly.
Clarify once a month with Pantene Purity Shampoo
Prepoo with Ojon reconstorative hair treatment
Aveda DR poo, condish, and LI
NTM silk moisture touch LI
BioInfusion Olive Oil Shine Serum

I know I probably need some protein treatments, but I don't have a clue...Just began Castor oil/lemon oil temple massasges. I love rollersets, but my technique is pitiful. My arms usually "feel the burn" long before I can finish.***that is so SAD***

I usually get relaxers every 3-4 months. Haven't had a relaxer since near the end of May, but I don't lose more than 20 hairs total when I comb (I know, I know 2x a day).

I'm just trying to figure out what to do....

laCriolla

I like Spectrum brand Unrefined coconut oil. You can find it in the specialty oil section by the regular cooking oils (next to the walnut, sunflower, hazelnut oils)

it is a liquid or a solid depending on the temp in the room. but i just put a bit on the ends at night. by the next morning the ends are not greasy/sticky. the oil sinks in.

NannDee

Wow! I just was at a salon that uses Design Essentials. That was the quickest touch-up I had ever witnessed, including my own. The patron had scalp irritation, she had minimal complaints. Her hair came out beautifully..and she was also stretching her hair. I suggested LHCF for tips on that process. Good luck..I believe you will like the products..

Hey ItsyBitsy! I'm dealing with dryness (especially the ends---all these layers) and a thinning hairline (I think it's either a bad previous touch up---left on too long in the front---bad hairdresser or stress) and frizzy/dry air drying results (I'm still trying to figure what works for me).

I just found an Aveda Concept Salon and I'm gonna given a try. I've been stretching to make sure I have enough new growth---scared of overlapping with a new hairdresser and all. I believe I will go for a shampoo to check it out before I allow them to relax. The relaxer they use is Design Essentials...though I've used Affirm for over 12 years. As long as her technique is good, I suppose it doesn't matter (or does it?)

I see you use a couple Aveda products. I just got the DR poo and condish and leave-in. I could tell a difference. I will stick with it.

I know I probably need some protein treatments, but I don't have a clue...Just began Castor oil/lemon oil temple massasges. I love rollersets, but my technique is pitiful. My arms usually "feel the burn" long before I can finish.***that is so SAD***

I usually get relaxers every 3-4 months. Haven't had a relaxer since near the end of May, but I don't lose more than 20 hairs total when I comb (I know, I know 2x a day).

tatiana

Vatika Oil is a mixture of castor oil, coconut oil, lemon, and other herbs. It is not pure cocunut oil.

Coconut Oil melts when hot. By itself, I thought it made my hair fine hair too greasy. I mixed mine with castor oil to thin my castor oil. That combo works great.

Kari107

I like Spectrum brand Unrefined coconut oil. You can find it in the specialty oil section by the regular cooking oils (next to the walnut, sunflower, hazelnut oils)

it is a liquid or a solid depending on the temp in the room. but i just put a bit on the ends at night. by the next morning the ends are not greasy/sticky. the oil sinks in.

I use the same one. I use it on wash days to seal in my leave-in but I'm thinking about using it nightly to seal in my moisturizer.

ItsyBitsy

I never airdry my hair. It always leaves my hair frizzy & dry. I rollerset every week. It leaves my ends nice & smooth. Keep practicing your technique...it's totally worth it.

I just put Ojon RT in my hair & rolled my hair on one big flexirod :ohwell: I'm wearing my hair in a ponytail tomorrow.

Girl, I have sooo many Aveda products :spinning: but currently I'm only using DR line & the Brilliant Serum.

Cichelle

I am currently using Spectrum coconut oil. I like Vatika, but don't often get to the stores that sell it. I've used a few different brands of coconut oil that I find at the health food store and they all work equally well.

Travis Girl

Ummmhummm! I will see if I can find this in my local store. Thanks LaCriolla! When I searched for coconut oils, there were tons, I 'd at least like to try something others have tried! Thanks again for the heads up! :yep:

Wow! I just was at a salon that uses Design Essentials. That was the quickest touch-up I had ever witnessed, including my own. The patron had scalp irritation, she had minimal complaints. Her hair came out beautifully..and she was also stretching her hair. I suggested LHCF for tips on that process. Good luck..I believe you will like the products..

I appreciate hearing another good report about Design Essentials. :yep: It looks like it'll be my future relaxer. So that makes me feel better about trying it. It's hard to switch when you've used something for so long.

Vatika Oil is a mixture of castor oil, coconut oil, lemon, and other herbs. It is not pure cocunut oil.

Coconut Oil melts when hot. By itself, I thought it made my hair fine hair too greasy. I mixed mine with castor oil to thin my castor oil. That combo works great.

Vatika oil is something I'm also thinking of trying out, especially with the main ingredients being already mixed together. I'm not sure how long it'd take me to get the consistancy right on my own. Thanks Tatiana! :yep:

Travis Girl

I use the same one. I use it on wash days to seal in my leave-in but I'm thinking about using it nightly to seal in my moisturizer.

Kari, I have a question. When you seal nightly, are these just your ends?

I never airdry my hair. It always leaves my hair frizzy & dry. I rollerset every week. It leaves my ends nice & smooth. Keep practicing your technique...it's totally worth it.

I just put Ojon RT in my hair & rolled my hair on one big flexirod :ohwell: I'm wearing my hair in a ponytail tomorrow.

Girl, I have sooo many Aveda products :spinning: but currently I'm only using DR line & the Brilliant Serum.

ItsyBitsy, I'm gonna try to research the threads and check out the different techniques. I really need to work on my rolling technique and build up the biceps! :lachen: Also, when you roll on one big flexirod...:perplexed you gotta explain this, please! :yep:

I am currently using Spectrum coconut oil. I like Vatika, but don't often get to the stores that sell it. I've used a few different brands of coconut oil that I find at the health food store and they all work equally well.

Girl, I love your hair! :grin: That's enough to make me check out the coconut oils!