Coconut oil users, can people smell you from a distance?

shunemite

I bought this coconut oil today (virgin) the Now brand for sealing my ends. I love the way that it smells :lick: I'm only concerned if the smell will be strong that it will get into my pillows and people can smell me. So if you use the unrefined coconut oil, can people around you smell it? I've been around an Amla user and I could smell her from a whole room away.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I use this same brand of coconut oil but only sparingly. So no, I doubt very seriously if people around me will pickup a strong scent. But who cares if they do? I love the way this stuff smells. But normally it does wear off after time anyway.

Supervixen

I was using the Virgin Coconut Oil, and I smelled like a cake! It made me hungry for cake consistantly.

msa

My coconut oil doesn't really smell like anything. I actually wished I could find some coconut oil that had the coconut scent to it.

I want some Adara coconut oil because it has fragrance oils in it but it's too expensive.

Fhrizzball

I use EVCO on my whole head and the smell doesn't leak anywhere. Some of my friends can smell it but only if they're really close to me and even then it's not that overwhelming. If you're that concerned be light handed with it and then work your way up.

Fhrizzball

My coconut oil doesn't really smell like anything. I actually wished I could find some coconut oil that had the coconut scent to it.

I want some Adara coconut oil because it has fragrance oils in it but it's too expensive.

Is your coconut oil refined? We don't have a whole foods down here so I order mine online. I get some from Walmart at times and you can definitely smell the coconut in that. I love the smell too much now to buy anything but unrefined/organic coconut oil

msa

Is your coconut oil refined? We don't have a whole foods down here so I order mine online. I get some from Walmart at times and you can definitely smell the coconut in that. I love the smell too much now to buy anything but unrefined/organic coconut oil

Nope, mine is unrefined, cold pressed, virgin, all of that. But it only has a faint faint smell.

I'm going to try a different brand next time.

MochaEyeCandy

I use Spectrum
I smell like coconuts
I have only received compliments (and a few chubby dudes eying me like I'm a baked good :lachen:)
No complaints

msa

I use Spectrum
I smell like coconuts
I have only received compliments (and a few chubby dudes eying me like I'm a baked good :lachen:)
No complaints

Maybe I'll try Spectrum next. Right now I have the Nature's Way brand, it's always the cheapest at Whole Foods.

But I think they have Jarrow's and Spectrum so I'll get one of those and compare.

La Colocha

I use the now brand for my skin and it does smell good, like toasted coconuts, the smell lasts quite a while.

MochaEyeCandy

Maybe I'll try Spectrum next. Right now I have the Nature's Way brand, it's always the cheapest at Whole Foods.

But I think they have Jarrow's and Spectrum so I'll get one of those and compare.
I got mine from Puritan's Pride. Cost me $15 for 2-16oz containers.

MizzBrit

i use tropidcal traditions..i just bought a whole 32 ounce for 12 bucks..its my first time trying it and it does smell really good. like toasted coconuts..but the smells doesn't linger once applies..its very faint..but i wouldn't mind smelling like it anyway!

shunemite

Thank you so much ladies! I've been reading all the natural properties about coconut oil so I'll be using it on my face as well for acne and see if it works. I'll be sealing my ends with it at night. I had my mom smell my head and she had to come real close to me to sniff it.

Okay now I'm so excited coz I put it in my Miso oil mister spray can and it didn't clog at all, it actually sprayed! I spooned it into the can solid and it came out liquid. I'm such a happy camper.

Last edited:

Taina

I make my own coconut oil at home, and the smell is not that strong as i thoughit it will be. Nobody, not even my husband (that come closer to my head than anybody) notice the smell. The other day i even asked him tio smell my head. Nothing bad at all he said.

msa

Thank you so much ladies! I've been reading all the natural properties about coconut oil so I'll be using it on my face as well for acne and see if it works. I'll be sealing my ends with it at night. I had my mom smell my head and she had to come real close to me to sniff it.

Okay now I'm so excited coz I put it in my Miso oil mister spray can and it didn't clog at all, it actually sprayed! I spooned it into the can solid and it came out liquid. I'm such a happy camper.

This is just my experience, but using coconut oil on my face was :nono:. It made my acne worse. People with acne need things that are noncomedogenic, which usually means no oils.

shunemite

This is just my experience, but using coconut oil on my face was :nono:. It made my acne worse. People with acne need things that are noncomedogenic, which usually means no oils.

Thanks for the tip because I was reading about it on acne.org and wondered. I did buy some tea tree oil for dandruff or itchy scalp prevention so I've put some of that on my face. Neutrogena was working very well for me but I wanted to cut down on the cost.

msa

Thanks for the tip because I was reading about it on acne.org and wondered. I did buy some tea tree oil for dandruff or itchy scalp prevention so I've put some of that on my face. Neutrogena was working very well for me but I wanted to cut down on the cost.

Tea tree oil can be a skin irritant so be careful with it. My skin has been doing better now that I went back to basics. I use cetaphil face cleanser and the neutrogena moisturizer with spf 30. I also do face masks with bentonite clay mixed with acv a couple times a week. My biggest problem is making sure oils from my hair stuff doesn't get on my forehead because that causes an instant breakout for me.

JadeFox

i also use the nature's way brand and the smell doesn't linger. but that amla oil like another poster mentioned smells straight up like booty.