at what point is shedding bad?

Penspringz

My hair seems to be shedding a lot. I don't really know if the amount is normal because I have just had a virgin relaxer and when my hair was natural it was in "protective styles" 99% of the time so I didn't notice the shedding. Now that my hair is relaxed I wear it out 99% of the time and notice shedding everytime I touch my hair. Is this normal? what can be done to slow down shedding?

deejoy

I think it's bad if you shed everytime you touch your hair. I think most people lose some hair when they wash their hair or comb, but if you're shedding everytime you even just lightly run your fingers through or see loose hairs without even doing anything, I think there's a problem. That happened to me. I would see loose hairs hanging from my ends, or all over my back and shirt.

I took iron and multivitamins to stop my shedding and it worked.

Penspringz

I think I do need to start taking some iron suppliments actually. You've got me worried. I'm glad I didn't keep silent though.

Penspringz

One other thing is that I have noticed that the white bulbs on some of the hairs are not very big compared to others. Does that mean anything?

Blu217

Penspringz said:
One other thing is that I have noticed that the white bulbs on some of the hairs are not very big compared to others. Does that mean anything?

I was reading about this very thing just a few days ago. What I read suggested that the white bulb is a keratin-type substance that helps bond the hair within the follicle, and when the hair is shedding this comes out with it. A smaller bulb was said to be an indicator that the hair is nearing the end of its permanent growth cycle. You might want to google that question to see what you find, tho.