How do you know if it is normal shedding or ...

Nay

Re: How do you know if it is normal shedding or ..

Update on my shedding:

Well, I've washed my hair and guess what? Not very much shedding at all. The hair that came out today I wrapped into a ball, and it wasn't even as big as my thumb. In my past several washings, I had at least three times that much hair come out. So this thumb-size amount of hair was a dramatic difference.

What did I do differently? Before washing my hair, I ever so gently parted it into about eight sections. I gingerly combed out each section and secured each section with a scrunchie. Then I washed my hair section at a time, applied conditioner (combing conditioner through each section), and put each section back into a scrunchie. Then I rinsed my whole head (still in eight scrunchie sections).
This really didn't take very long, and I was amazed at the small amount of hair that I lost.

I think it was Hairlove who suggested washing your hair in sections, but I had never tried it before. I see now that what I thought was "shed hair," because it had the little bulb on the end, was really hair that had gotten tangled and pulled out. I thought I was being careful in the past, but obviously I was not careful enough.

So from here on out you'd better believe I will be washing my hair in sections!!

honeebutta

Congrats Nay on resolving what you thought was a "shedding" issue! I'm happy for you!

inthepink

I'm glad sectioning is working for you. It takes more time but definitely worth it.

greAtness333

Wow, your hair is beautiful! It's so healthy and thick.

Nay

Honeebutta, if only all of life's issues could be solved so simply

Hey, Hairlove

Thanks for the compliment greAtness!!
With this shedding issue, I was starting to worry. But I'm happy now that I see what I needed to change.

abainaa

Nay, you hit on an important thought. This is something that has kept bugging me about shedding because even tho I know that it is natural, I still feel like some of it is hair that is being pulled out because it is tanlged, hence the root.
The sectioning strategy seems like a great remedy for this tho.

NAY007

Hey Nay,

I know for sure that my hair sheds twice a year. One time in spring and then in fall, don't ask me why...:) I don't do anything to combat it and I don't think that you can do something about it.

Sometimes I can wash and condition my hair and then detangle it and no hair comes out and then another time a whole lot of hair comes out...so I don't really know. But I never really worry too much about it.