Are You Using More Product Now As A Natural?

vtoodler

Natural ladies: do you find that it takes more shampoo to wash your hair, or that you need to use more conditioner when you are conditioning?

When I was relaxed, a dollop of shampoo could do. Now, a dollop will only about 25% of my hair. I also have to use more daily moisturizer.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Yes...I use more of everything in general. Leave in, gel, oil, etc. Some people must have to budget their hair products in as a monthly expense hahahaha

faithVA

I don't use more shampoo but I do use more conditioner. I'm not even sure i conditioned my hair regularly when I was relaxed. And I think the only other products I used when I was relaxed was an oil sheen and some kind of styling product which I don't even remember. I never used leave-ins, gels, oils, etc.

Embyra

I use more products now im natural i only had one random oil spray for my relaxed days

Now i use curl activators as my moisturizer and styler i get the big tubs 900ml:look::lol:everything is in big tubs which is why i love my cheapies

MizzBrown

YES!!

I think I've emptied at least 4 full bottles of shampoo since I've BC'd. And I picked up on co-washing and a bottle of conditioner can only last about 5 co-washes and that's it.

My hair sucks up everything. But in a way I like it because I'm finally using up a LOT of my stash so that i can start from scratch with a much more simpler routine.

The other day I had to wash rinse & repeat 3 times to really get my hair clean.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I didn't so much when my hair was shorter. I've always had dense hair, even when relaxed, so I'm no stranger to having to use a ton of product. I will use a whole jar of deep conditioner. It's not a big deal since I don't do my hair as often as when I was relaxed.

AwesomelyNappy

with my shampoo, I dont use much. Its in a pump bottle and 1 pump is all i need to get a good lather to cleanse my entire head.

Conditioner, yes, i use a lot... though, now i wonder if I put it in a pump bottle if it would help me ration it out better....

leave ins - when i do my hair dry I use way more than when my hair is wet or damp. Same thing for gels, if i use it on dry hair i use more than when i use it on wet hair. Seems like wet/damp hair stretches my products further.

keykee

I def shampoo less now. Conditioner.. it feels like a use a quarter of the bottle everytime.

Ronnieaj

I use moderately more shampoo, but not much. Washing in sections helps prevent that. So, for me, does conditioning in sections. I've never been heavy handed, but I recently started measuring out my conditioner to see how little I could use and still be fully effective. I figure the concept of more ISN'T always better probably applies to hair products as well, so I try to be more frugal.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Yes and that's why its hard for me to order the all natural lines because I feel like I don't get enough product for what I pay.

Sent from my ADR6300 using ADR6300

greenandchic

Disclaimer: Never relaxed but I heat styled very often.

Being completely natural (no heat damage), I use less shampoo because I don't generally shampoo my hair weekly like I used to. I do use much more conditioner, oils and butters than I have in the past. I buy probably twice as much rinse out conditioner than other products.

LongLeggedLife

Not at all on shampoo, but I hadnt discovered Dr. Bronners back then. It only takes like 4 drops of that stuff.
Now, conditioner, YES!! Seems like my hair eats it.

PinkGirlFluff

The only difference is that I hardly ever used gel while relaxed but I'm considering going back to not using gel like I did during my first few months after my BC. I just can't get with the feeling of gel. In fact I'm washing my hair tonight to get it outta my hair.

Diva_Esq

I didn't so much when my hair was shorter. I've always had dense hair, even when relaxed, so I'm no stranger to having to use a ton of product. I will use a whole jar of deep conditioner. It's not a big deal since I don't do my hair as often as when I was relaxed.

:yep: What she said!

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I use much less products on my hair since I have been fully natural than when I was texlaxed/relaxed. Even my moisture/protein levels are in better balance

BklynHeart

I use less shampoo, but that's only because I dilute it with water. I do use more conditioners and moisturizers.

Nonie

Natural ladies: do you find that it takes more shampoo to wash your hair, or that you need to use more conditioner when you are conditioning?

When I was relaxed, a dollop of shampoo could do. Now, a dollop will only about 25% of my hair. I also have to use more daily moisturizer.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Not me, I think I use less of everything.

The reason for less shampoo may be because I have no products on my hair so not much lathering needed. Also washing my hair twice a week means it's hardly ever dirty so again no need for lathering twice.

As for conditioner, I don't really think that's changed. I once shared images of how for my APL hair, I use less than 1.5 oz of conditioner and that is when applying to dry hair for a DC. I use a lot less when applying to wet hair.

I don't use any styling products, except on that blue moon when I wear my hair out and use S Curl, and even then I use it only on wash day. I seem to think that when I was relaxed I used styling products on a daily basis. :scratchch

PureSilver

I use less shampoos becaue i'm weaved up most of the time and i dom't wash often for fear of tangles and matting. i tend to use more protein based products and a lot more conditioner. I just love how conditioner makes my hair feel and i'm thinking i need to change wat i currently am using as i'm not 100% satisfied.

I'll be searchinf for more natural products to use in 2012

Keen

My sister just complained about this last week. She says she has to use a lot more products now.

coyacoy

Lol, that is what i have to do re: monthly hair products budget!

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

BostonMaria

I use alot more conditioner than I did when my hair was relaxed. In the beginning when I first did the BC I would use soooo many products. Mostly because I was experimenting. I'm now 4 years natural and I'm down to a few products I like and make my own stuff. I keep my regimen pretty simple now.

Yes, now that I'm transitioning to natural, a dollop or a dime-sized amount doesn't cut it anymore (with the exception of shampoo, I use far less). As my transition grows longer, the amount grows.

SmilingElephant

An 8 oz. bottle of shampoo will last me more than a year! But conditioners??? Lawd have mercy on dem bottles!!:lol:....When i was relaxed i didnt use as much.

I also like to use gels...but i use way more than when i did when i was relaxed bc i do wash n go's. The 32 oz jar of EcoStyler lasts me about 2-3 months.:look:

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm glad I found this thread.:yep: I've never been relaxed but I've noticed I hardly ever run out of shampoo, except the ones I use to start a lather. But I'm always buying new bottles of conditioner. Glad it's normal for naturals.:grin:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Right now, I'm using the same amount of product on my little fro that I did when I was relaxed and BSL. I'm scared of what my future holds. :lachen: