Are You "Properly" Deep Conditioning?

Do You Deep Condition Properly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taz007

Yes to all 3 FINALLY! I thought that I was DCing properly because my hair felt "stronger" but definitely did not have any slip.

I am so glad that I did not stop there because now I definitely have strength and slip. My hair has never been in better condition.

Thanks, Reecie. You are right on point, AGAIN!

Stacy TheLady

LOL...Um...:look: NEVER:nono:

I only CO-Wash...I use a leave-in conditioner just about everyday...DC seemed like it would be conditioner overload...no?

Hopefully that would compensate for not DC'ing at least a bit. I can't say if DC'ing with the co washing would lead to a moisture overload. Do you co wash everyday? I hope a DC expert can come in here and shed some light on this.

I have silky 4A hair and I DC every week and co wash once a week if am braided or twice a week if I'm bunning. I use a leave in conditioner (Profectiv) and oil my scalp once per week. My hair remains light and I dont think i have build up :look:

Your hair does look good. In your opinion Janet is it at optimum health?

Last edited:

Janet'

Hopefully that would compensate for not DC'ing at least a bit. I can't say if DC'ing with the co washing would lead to a moisture overload. Do you co wash everyday? I hope a DC expert can come in here and shed some light on this.

I have silky 4A hair and I DC every week and co wash once a week if am braided or twice a week if I'm bunning. I use a leave in conditioner (Profectiv) and oil my scalp once per week. My hair remains light and I dont think i have build up :look:

Your hair does look good. In your opinion Janet is it at optimum health?

Let's see...I've been told that I have thick 3c/4a hair...I do not co-wash everyday, but I do use a leave-in condish (Mixed Chicks) EVERY day. I don't think that I have build-up either. In my opinion, my hair is as healthy as it's ever been; I'm retaining length and although my hair is growing uneven, I have very few split ends...You do have me interested now though...

Vashti

I achieve that effect whenever I DC but i still have to add a moisturizer afterwards though because I'm natural.

Stacy TheLady

Let's see...I've been told that I have thick 3c/4a hair...I do not co-wash everyday, but I do use a leave-in condish (Mixed Chicks) EVERY day. I don't think that I have build-up either. In my opinion, my hair is as healthy as it's ever been; I'm retaining length and although my hair is growing uneven, I have very few split ends...You do have me interested now though...

Well you know they say if it ain't broken, then dont fix it! Or rather it doesnt need fixing :grin:

If that reggie suits you best then keep at it. I am no expert so I cant give you expert advice. If i let one week go by with DC'ing my head is a dry mess partly because sone nights i fail to use my head scarf. My hair is also growing uneven but i think that stemmed from how i did my BC and no split ends.

Again, if your reggie works then dont tweak it. :yep:

PinkPebbles

I usually test whether or not I used a good deep conditioner after my hair has dried.

If my strands are smooth, produce a natural shine, and the hair is lush and mositurized then that DC is a keeper. :grin:

Stacy TheLady

What are you ladies using to DC?

TIA

Lustrasilk Shea Butter + Mango Cholesterol (my best result DC)
Queen Helene Cholesterol Cream
Queen Helene Choleasterol +Ginseng (I am experimenting with the QH products)

and from now i will be adding Coconut Oil to my DC and wheat Germ oil whenever i get it

Minty

I generally don't get much "slip." I wish I did. I do experience very soft hair, without heat - 1+ hrs, with heat- up to one hour. I also let my hair cool a bit before rinsing. Hot water rinsing gave me a sort of "slip" but my hair dries out too quick. Cool water rinsing, no slip and sometimes I still need a leave-in to help detangle, esp. with
-post hair.

**also, if I've DC, and then a couple of days later do an ayuvedic rinse, I do need to go through a CW or a creme rinse, my hair is still soft.

LadyPBC

I usually DT with vatika oil, AO of some sort, full fat yogurt and honey. Then I rinse and do some sort of DC with what ever is in my cabinet, most recently Skala shea butter masque mixed with EVCoconut Oil. My hair feels luscious afterwards - hardly any shedding but I don't even think about moving forward without products. I always add a leave in and something else depending on how I will style it. For me - I'm impressed when I don't have to fight with my hair to detangle it - does that equal "like butter" I'm not sure but I'll take it LOL!

rbourne

Your tips have been very useful. I used to deep condition when I was younger. Sunday was hair day and all that! As I got older and had a child I felt like I didn't have any time, but I have noticed a dramatic change for the worse in the quality of my hair due to not DCing properly.

Had a look at your Fotki, your hair is lovely inspirational!!

Reecie Thank you for sending me the link to your blog/article yesterday!!!! I sat under the dryer today for about 1.5 hours w/ SM on my head. I added JBCO to it and boy! My hair feels great! I've been going through some things w/ my hair lately and when I took my hair out of twists the hair looked horrible. I'm trying to nurse it back to health. Thank you again!

Fine 4s

Mine definately doesn't feel like butter.
Would it be the same criteria for natchal ladies?

frizzy

Yes, yes and yes. Regular DC's and my steamer. :lick:

I will start oiling my scalp in addition to just adding oil to my DC mixture, thanks to this thread. Thanks Reecie, thanks ladies for your great ideas!

equestrian

I think this is more a matter of the product your using and whether or not it works for your hair as oppose to technique.

Barbara

Princess
I'm wondering if deep conditioning overnight will create build up. Has anyone experienced this before?

ycj1

Excellent thread! It's funny you started it bc I took out my yarn braids after a month and a half and did the regular rinse, clarified, poo,and dc which btw I added oils to. Well I was highly disappointed and a bit upset bc after leaving the dc in for about 45min under the dryer and rinsed it out my hair was like hay!

The dc I used was Queen Helene cholesterol my all time fav, the one I use to use when I was relaxed which btw always came out buttery soft. But now I am really getting to know my hair since I am transitioning now going on 16 month.

My hair is telling me that I cannot use the same con products I used when I was relaxed.

A couple of months ago I used a different dc (Dominican line) and my hair came out buttery soft and very easy to manage. Now I know what I must use and not use anymore. Especially since my hair texture is different then when I was relaxed.

For some reason my hair takes very well to Dominincan products. I am a 3c and 4a! So I just ordered more Dominincan products for my transitioning hair type.

But one thing I did not know was what you mentioned earlier in yr blog and that is I did'nt know I should use a moisturizer after. But I allowed my hair to airdry as always and it was as said before rough like hay to the touch. I was like what's up with my hair? But normally when I dc the comb glides through it, but not this time. Actually it was like I clarified it and shampoo'd it without using a con. That's how rough it felt.

So it's going to be back to the drawing board for me with the dominican products at least. Which I know is good for my hair. Also, when I used them previously my hair not only felt very moisturized but extremely strong.

Thanks again for starting this post bc it really opened my eyes regarding the proper dc'ng method. It takes time for us to learn our hair over again especially transitioning to natural.

It's a whole nother world! That's for sure!:perplexed

Last edited:

BlaqBella

Hi op..i liked this thread when i first read it and i had to search for it once i had this experience. Thanks OP.

I have a mixture of textures mostly 4a/b. And for what it's worth..i didn't REALLY know why some posters would say "body heat isn't always enough". Until this past weekend July 30-31.

I put on(dry hair/i had co-washed for 2 days straight/2x in one day even) one of my concotions as usual and went to braid and maintenence some ladies hair that i regularly braid. Well as usual the house was hotter than you know what( i mean i was a miserable, dripping sweat mess). Well i was ok once i seen the benefit of it. I took off my scarf and the plastics i had on top to let it cool when i got home (i had it on for a total of 5-6hrs).

I usually sit under the dryer for about 1hr and let it sit on w/out dryer for usually another hour. I used the little bit of ao gpb, ao hsr, ors replenishing(getting rid of nearly empty bottles), then i added a drop of some instant con. to get rid of the bottle, about a tbsp of org. honey, eqp dpr-11 (used mostly this) and coconut oil.

I noticed that the stretched waves (small 4a/**** waves) that were there when i applied dc were still that way. I mean my hair w/ dc on looked close to a 3c from root to tip.

I NOW SEE WHAT STEAM MUST BE DOING FOR SOME OF YOU. But i followed Patchouli's(sp?) DC method...so i coated hair and scalp w/ coconut oil also. Well the moisture levels she speaks of in her yt tutorial is what i achieved.

My hair was SOFT and soooo easy to stretch,blowdry and straighten. I can sit under dryer for 2hrs or leave on for 2hrs no heat and i never get these results. I used to sleep with dc on but just haven't had the time or felt like it. When i did(sleep with dc) was the only time i came close to this soft hair experience.

ETA: And i have also been adding rosewater to my hair after i put saran wrap on hair w/ dc.

Last edited:

Yoshi3329

Yes, Yes, Yes!

My hair is always buttery soft. In fact, it actually goes from feeling like cotton to feeling like satin. This is sans additional oils. In fact, next deep condition, I'm going to add a bit of olive oil and see how my transitioning hair likes it.

SingBrina

I think I am going to have to leave my conditioner on longer like I used to. I recently started going under the hood for 15 mins and that was it. Now I think I will leave it in for 30mins then go under the hood for 15 min this Thursday!