Are You "Properly" Deep Conditioning?

Do You Deep Condition Properly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reecie

It sounds easy enough. Slap on a deep conditioner, leave on for the recommended time, then voila! Right? Wrong!

I think we can all agree that deep conditioning is the foundation of healthy hair. Which leads me to my question, are you certain you are properly deep conditioning your hair? If so, you will be able to answer "Yes" to the following three questions:

1. Does your hair feel like butter (literally) directly after a deep conditioning session?

2. Does your hair feel like butter (literally) after your deep conditioner is rinsed out?

3. Is your hair so moisturized after deep conditioning that you don't need to add a moisturizer for a few days?

If you've answered "Yes" to those three questions....congratulations!! :thumbsup:. You've done it.

If not, please read my blog article which explains the steps needed to perfect your deep conditioning method: LINK HERE.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Yep, yep, and yep!

It took me a couple tries to get this.....

I don't even have to lather it on..I find that it helps to detangle while I have conditioner on my hair then leave it on at least 45 minutes with my clear cap on! That way the product gets on all my hair.....
Great POST!

*CherryPie*

My hair don't always feel like butter after deep conditioning. But I know it's deep conditioned cause it feel stronger and healthier.

A lot of people confuses "slip" with moisturised hair, but moisturised hair doesn't always feel slippery and soft. Protein conditioned hair don't always feel soft either, but it does feel strong.

You can't always go by the feel.

Reecie

My hair don't always feel like butter after deep conditioning. But I know it's deep conditioned cause it feel stronger and healthier.

A lot of people confuses "slip" with moisturised hair, but moisturised hair doesn't always feel slippery and soft. Protein conditioned hair don't always feel soft either, but it does feel strong.

Yeah, I guess I am more referring to moisturizing deep conditioning treatments. Usually, with my protein treatments, I always end up using a moisturizing deep conditioner anyway... but I understand where you are coming from.

BUTTTTTTT when it comes to a moisturizing deep conditioner, you best believe you can ALWAYS go by the feel!

Last edited:

chebaby

my hair always feels like butter after i deep condition. but i still moisturize because i am natural and dont know what my hair will do once its dry with no leave in lol. when i was relaxed i didnt need to moisturize daily because my straight hair stayed soft for days. but i would moisturize anyway.

i alway deep condition on dry hair for no less than an hour.

*CherryPie*

Moisturising deep conditioners don't always feel slippery soft either, but you will feel a difference in your hair afterwards. "SLIP" does not mean moisture.

Yeah, I guess I am more referring to moisturizing deep conditioning treatments. Usually, with my protein treatments, I always end up using a moisturizing deep conditioner anyway... but I understand where you are coming from.

BUTTTTTTT when it comes to a moisturizing deep conditioner, you best believe you can ALWAYS go by the feel!

Reecie

I just add oil to my scalp before I dc....I luv the way that turns out...how do you mix your oils with your dc Reecie?

It's very simple. I saturate my hair with my deep conditioner. Then I use an applicator bottle and apply oil to my scalp and also pour oil in my hands and apply directly onto my hair.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
lol, no yes n/a (I moisturize about every two days no matter what).

I agree with *Cherrypie*though. You have to be careful with like...blanket statements because not everyone's hair responds the same way to a good DC. There's more to having well conditioned hair than having it feel buttery. I've only met one conditioner that makes my hair buttery, but it doesn't moisturize so well, so I don't use it anymore.
The one I use now doesn't have my hair feeling anywhere near as soft or slippy, but I've noticed an improvement health-wise since I started using it.

Not everyone's hair is gonna feel buttery, I guess is what I'm saying.
Not knocking your hustle or anything, but I'm just saying.

I also can say yes to all 3 questions above. My hair does feel like butter. I also do the DC and add oil to my hair and scalp. I leave the Conditioner with the oil in my hair overnight, and with a plastic cap and rinse it out when I wake up. I also do my daughter's hair this way too.

RubyWoo

I agree! I usually do an elasticity test to see if deep conditioning is effective. One's hair can feel like butter by using a rinse out conditioner.

taj

Thanks, this was very helpful.:grin: I was just thinking to myself that I have to dc longer.

Polyesterdiva

Heh!

I have to answer "No." Because I never deep condition....I just don't have the time. But my hair seems to do well enough since I started using higher quality regular conditioners and leave ins.

miss_cheveious

Thank you for this OP, I think I may have read your instructions last week. I employed your method and included honey following my relaxer on Saturday and it made my hair feel very soft whilst airdrying. So thank you so much!

Vonnieluvs08

I would say most times yes to all three.

I do leave my DC on for an hour at least that usually gets my hair soft and conditioned. Most times however I DC overnight for best results and laziness.

I was adding oils to my DC and noticed a difference but when I added castor oil it didn't let my DC penetrate/marinate like I prefer and I stopped adding oils. I think I'm going to start next wash.

ITA as a natural I have to put a leave in my hair because it needs moisture like no one's business. Air drying without a leave in is asking for a setback.

Bublin

I deep condition on dry hair once week and sometimes leave it in the whole day. This is because of lack of time. My hair is braided up for the day whilst it's in. I know its doing its job but it doesn't always feel buttery afterwards.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
My hair after a good DC, feels soft, smooth and tangle free but not always like butter. But I know its well conditioned because it airdries nicely with very little product. I like your hair and blog BTW. I'm going to take your advice on the wheat germ oil.

ceebee3

Yes, yes and yes, LOL! I deep condition with heat for no more and no less than 25 minutes every week.

If I'm lazy I'll just leave the conditioner in all day or all night, never any problems.

Stacy TheLady

I voted "no" because my hair does feel soft and moisturized but I do not get the buttery feeling every single time i condition. I beleive my problem is that I do not add any type of oil to my DC. I have done it already but it is not a usual thing.

I will def be adding oil(s) to my DC from now on.

MissMusic

What a coincidence, I was just explaining this concept to my sister yesterday. She was telling me that she realized that the KeraCare Humecto she uses gives no slip, but does moisturize her hair where as the Aubrey Organics she has been trying out lately does both. She was wondering whether or not the KeraCare was really working even though it has no slip, so I explained to her that slip is not necessary for a good deep conditioner to moisturize, but instead a bonus.

Good thread OP!

Sondice

Thanx I remember watching one of your youtube vids a while back and saw how u added oil to your scalp and the DC ed. I loved it so much that I started doing it. Its like a hot oil treatment o plus DC all in one. My scalp now is never dry and never itchy since I started doing it. I use Brahmi and Lavender essential oil.

makeupgirl

I say yes to all 3.

I actually DC my hair yesterday after a busy 3 week hiatus.

Basically, I put some EVOO in my hair before I applied the DC. I applied the cond like I was applying a relaxer to make sure my whole hair was saturated.

Kept it on for about 4 hrs because I was cleaning during that time. I also worked out but after that I immediately washed the conditioner out.

My hair if anything felt like silk and I didn't notice any shedding.