Are these products protein based or moisture based?

Tresses

I'm trying to step up my game understanding product ingredients. I read the ingredients for these products so for users, please tell me if I have these correct.

Giovanni Direct Leave In - light protein
Giovanni Smooth as Silk - light protein
Giovanni Vitapro Fusion - light protein
Aubrey Organics HSR con - moisturizing
Aubrey Organcis GPB - light protein
Cantu Shea Butter leave in cream - jury's out
ORS Hair Mayo - jury's out
ORS Carrot oil - jury's out

Thanks Ladies!

fluffylocks

The only one I know about is ORS Hair Mayo Conditoner, I would say light/med protien depending on your hair...

I first look at what kind of product it is...If its a moisturizer/leavin to me then its moisturizing if there are no kinds of protiens in the first about 5-10 ingredients

If its a conditoner and it has wheat, silk, amino that are not in the first 5 or so, its probally still kind of moisturizing

If it has keratin, animal/egg or collagin close to the top to the middle, then its probally light to hard....
collagin (sp) the weekest and keratin and animal/egg about the same in strength (on my hair anwway)

Tresses

^^ Thanks, very informative. The Giovanni is trickier. Most of it's ingredients look like this with all the questionable ingredients toward the end:

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

fluffylocks

^^ Thanks, very informative. The Giovanni is trickier. Most of it's ingredients look like this with all the questionable ingredients toward the end:

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

Your welcome.

That is kind of trickey because its water, then straight to oils then the rest....

I would def. say that soybean protien is on the lighter end, and that its still kinda close to the bottom.

The cetyl alchohol is moisturizing, chloride i believe for the fricition/feel of the produt, citric acid for ph level, (and not sure about the sodium one)

But I wouldnt count it as protien anything. I would say very light/none.

Bump for more answers :grin:

spacetygrss

I always wonder about the Giovanni products. I've yet to figure out the reconstructor. It has the same ingredients as the Giovanni Direct. Plus, when I tried to use it as a protein treatment (which is what it says on the bottle) I ended up with mushy, over-moisturized hair.:ohwell:

Very Wierd.

Neith

Giovanni products are protein-laden for the most part. Ever notice how nearly every product of theirs has soybean protein as a main ingredient?

HOWEVER... it's a light protein and I can't imagine it giving anyone problems (unless your hair is protein sensitive)

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil,

This is a fairly common (and kind of misleading) way that some companies list the ingredients. It's water WITH these oils. Not water then these oils.

This whole chunk is water with essential oils. It's not water with a bunch of heavy carrier oils. Just like water with some rosemary oil is not the same as water with olive oil.

Rosemary and other essential oils are extremely light and don't have the level of conditioning properties as carrier oils. Although essential oils are beneficial, I still look at it as basically one ingredient.

So I read the ingredients like this:

Purified water with essential oils, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

And that's the reason some people hate giovanni products. They all have a good shot of protein in them. Lots of people are protein sensitive. However, I would put ALL of their products that contain protein in light-moderate.

I thought the Giovanni deserves it's own posting :lol: I'm sorry for being long winded, but a lot of people don't realize this.

If you don't agree with me for whatever reason, that's fine. I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throat. :)

Neith

Aubrey Organics HSR con - moisturizing

Aubrey Organcis GPB - light/moderate protein (depends on how much protein your hair likes)

Cantu Shea Butter leave in cream -light

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Panthenol, PPG 1 PPG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Lanolin Oil, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Benzophenone 3, BHA,
BHT, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance

Some people believe that soybean oil contains protein (I'm not sure, I'm leaning towards no though)... but looking at all the ingredients anyway I would just classify this as light.

ORS Hair Mayo - medium

Water Aqua , Polyquaternium 32 , Glycerin , Safflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cetyl Alcohol , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Lanolin , Dimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Cholesterol , Stinging Nettle Urtica Dioica , Capsicum Extract Paprika , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Egg Powder Ovum , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Propylene Glycol , DMDM Hydantoin , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Brown No. 1 CI 20170 , Fragrance Parfum , Benzyl Benzoate , D'Limonene , Linalool , Alphaisomethylionone

Collagen is pretty potent alone. It also has some keratin in it, so I give it medium.

ORS Carrot oil - moisturizing

Water Aqua , Soybean Oil Glycine Soja , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Sorbitol , Isopropyl Palmitate , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Cetyl Esters , Lanolin , Sunflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Carrot Oil Daucus Carota Sativa , DL Methionine , Nettle Extract Urtica Dioica , Glyceryl Linoleate , Glyceryl Linoleate Vitamin F , Cholesterol , Dimethicone , Fragrance Parfum , Citronellol , Coumarin , Eugenol , Geraniol , Hexylcinnamicaldehyde , Hydroxycitronellal , D'Limonene , Linalool , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Carbomer , Methyl Paraben , Imidazolidinyl Urea , BHT , Triethanolamine , Propyl Paraben

It contains no actual protein. However, like with the Cantu... some feel that soybean oil contains protein.

As an educated guess I'll say that even if it does contain protein, it's not mostly protein (how much protein can be in something that is a pure fat?) and since soybean protein is a lighter protein, I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Unless I learn otherwise.

If someone could figure out if soybean OIL contains protein, that would help me out a lot, lol.

Tresses

^^^ Thanks Neith for chiming in.

Arrrrgh:wallbash: So you mean to tell me after all this time of researching products, I order a shyt load of protein based products. Not that I am biased or anything but I'm still trying to find the products that work for me and I wanted to start of with a regimen that was at least 75% moisture based.
I'm not at all happy.

Guess I will be over in the for sale/trade forum come next week:cry3:

Is there any link or website that I can refer to when looking up ingredients?
I need a cheat sheet or something.

Irresistible

Giovanni products are protein-laden for the most part. Ever notice how nearly every product of theirs has soybean protein as a main ingredient?

HOWEVER... it's a light protein and I can't imagine it giving anyone problems (unless your hair is protein sensitive)

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil,

This is a fairly common (and kind of misleading) way that some companies list the ingredients. It's water WITH these oils. Not water then these oils.

This whole chunk is water with essential oils. It's not water with a bunch of heavy carrier oils. Just like water with some rosemary oil is not the same as water with olive oil.

Rosemary and other essential oils are extremely light and don't have the level of conditioning properties as carrier oils. Although essential oils are beneficial, I still look at it as basically one ingredient.

So I read the ingredients like this:

Purified water with essential oils, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

And that's the reason some people hate giovanni products. They all have a good shot of protein in them. Lots of people are protein sensitive. However, I would put ALL of their products that contain protein in light-moderate.

I thought the Giovanni deserves it's own posting :lol: I'm sorry for being long winded, but a lot of people don't realize this.

If you don't agree with me for whatever reason, that's fine. I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throat. :)
:lachen: girl stop it!

dont let this madness around here make you worry about every post, or how someone is going to take it, I mean I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL LOL, but trust your input is valued by MANY I dont care how many it aint valuable to.

KEEP those people in mind Neith , bump the rest!

Neith

Arrrrgh:wallbash: So you mean to tell me after all this time of researching products, I order a shyt load of protein based products. Not that I am biased or anything but I'm still trying to find the products that work for me and I wanted to start of with a regimen that was at least 75% moisture based.
I'm not at all happy.

I get a lot from walgreens.com... but I also just google the product.

[/b]:lachen: girl stop it!

dont let this madness around here make you worry about every post, or how someone is going to take it, I mean I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL LOL, but trust your input is valued by MANY I dont care how many it aint valuable to.

KEEP those people in mind Neith , bump the rest!

You caught me. :lol:

I don't know, I'm traumatized :lachen:

luckiestdestiny

I'm not at all happy.

I had this problem. I use shescentit.com's avocado moisturizer. It's all natural and there is zero protein in there. Mixed with some coconut oil and it's pure heaven for dc ing.

mamauv2

Got this from another hair board. This is a list with products that are moisture based and if they contain protein, it's specified and the type. HTH

[FONT=&quot]Shampoos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Curlmart:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Blended Beauty Volcanic Clean Mask (not really a shampoo, but it cleans so I’m putting it here)
    Curl Junkie Chamomile & Jasmine Conditioning Shampoo (silk amino acids)
    Curl Junkie Hibiscus Bliss Moisturizing Shampoo (silk amino acids)
    DevaCurl No-Poo (wheat, soy, and oat amino acids) (no surfactants)
    DevaCurl Low-Poo (1 water-soluble silicone)
    DevaBlonde Low-Poo (1 water-soluble silicone)
    DevaBlonde No-Poo (wheat, soy, and oat amino acids) (no surfactants)
    DevaBrown Low-Poo (1 water-soluble 'cone)
    DevaBrown No-Poo (wheat, soy, and oat amino acids) (no surfactants)
    DevaCurl Low-Poo (1 water-soluble silicone)
    Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salon/Internet:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo
    Kiehl’s Castille
    Little Shop of Beauty Aloe Hair and Body Wash
    MOP C-System Clean
    MOP C-System Hydrating
    Phyto Phytojoba Gentle Regulating Milk Shampoo - Dry Hair Formula[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sally's Beauty Supply:

Health Food Store/Trader Joe's:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Treatment
    Avalon Organics Chamomile Citrus Highlighting
    Avalon Organics Awapuhi Mango Moisturizing
    Avalon Organics Aloe Vera Jojoba Fragrance Free
    Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying (arginine--amino acid)
    Avalon Organics Ylang Ylang Glistening (arginine--amino acid)
    Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing (arginine--amino acid)
    Avalon Organics Peppermint Revitalizing (arginine--amino acid)
    Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp Treatment (arginine--amino acid)
    Alba Botanica Volumizing
    Alba Botanica Replenishing
    Alba Botanica Balancing
    (Burt’s Bees) Doctor Burt's Herbal Treatment Shampoo with Cedar Leaf & Juniper Oil
    California Baby
    Kiss My Face Aromatherapeutic
    Kiss My Face SaHaira (wheat amino acids)
    Magick Botanicals Oil Free / Fragrance Free Shampoo
    Trader Joe’s Refresh [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drugstore:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]ISOPLUS Conditioning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Conditioners:

Curlmart:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Arbre de Vie Shea Hair & Scalp Pomade
    Arbre de Vie Shea Hot Oil Treatment
    Blended Beauty All Natural Scalp and Hair Oil
    Blended Beauty Herbal Reconditioning Treatment
    Blended Beauty Kick for Curls Aloe Juice Spritz
    Blended Beauty Straightening Glaze Conditioning Setting Spritz
    Curl Junkie Give 'em The Slip! Instant Conditioner (one water-soluble silicone)
    Curl Junkie Healthy Condition Daily Conditioner (all) (one water-soluble silicone, silk amino acids)
    Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner
    Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave In Conditioner (all) (one water-soluble silicone, silk amino acids)
    Curly Hair Solutions SLIP Detangler (silk amino acids)
    Jessicurl (any)
    Oyin Honey-Hemp[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Auntie Rhubarb Hair Crème (http://www.auntierhubarb.com)
    Aveda Elixir Leave-on Conditioner (wheat amino acids)
    Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Conditioner
    Bumble and Bumble Leave In Conditioner
    Kiehl's Leave-In
    MOP c-system moisture complex
    MOP Lemongrass Conditioner for fine hair (wheat germ? don't know if this is a protein or not)
    MOP Burdock Nourishing Rinse (wheat germ?)
    MOP Mixed Greens
    Paul Mitchell The Detangler (2 water-soluble silicones)
    Smells So Sweet Papaya & Mango Hair Treatment (http://www.smellssosweet.com) (has hydrolyzed wheat protein, but Sandra made a batch without it upon request, so maybe she'd do it again? Worth asking, but I'd ask before placing your order just in case!)
    Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac (silk amino acids)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sally's Beauty Supply:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Generic Value Products Paul Mitchell The Detangler (2 water-soluble silicones)
    Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave In[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Health Food Store/Trader Joe's:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Aubrey Organics White Camellia
    Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta (no protein per se, but has amino acids)
    Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner
    Magick Botanicals Oil Free / Fragrance Free Conditioner
    Trader Joe’s Refresh[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aussie Real Volume for fine hair (old formula only; new formulation has 'cones)
    Garnier Fructis Fortifying (Fine Hair Formula)
    Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
    Suave Naturals Lavender
    Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze
    Suave Naturals Mango Peach
    Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple
    Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry
    Suave Naturals Aloe
    Suave Vanilla Floral Cond.(silk protein, but very low on ingreds list)
    White Rain Extra Body
    White Rain Lavender Vanilla
    White Rain Energizing Citrus
    White Rain Tropical Coconut
    White Rain Ocean Mist
    White Rain Apple Blossom
    VO5 Sun Kissed Raspberry
    VO5 Tangerine Tickle
    VO5 Tea Therapy Nourishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Styling Products:

CurlMart:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Akiva Naturals Healthy Hair Honey
    Akiva Naturals Healthy Hair Jam
    Blended Beauty Curly Frizz Pudding
    Circle of Friends Einar's Arctic Freeze Hyper Hold Gel (one water-soluble silicone)
    Circle of Friends Erik's Shaping Hair Gel (one water-soluble silicone)
    Circle of Friends Luc's Lemon Lime Shine Hair Slicker
    Circle of Friends Valerie's Vanilla Freeze Hair Spray (one water-soluble silicone, hydrolyzed silk)
    Curl Junkie Curl Fuel Curl Enhancing Spray
    Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Hair Oil (all)
    Curl Junkie Guava Curl Crème (silk amino acids)
    Curl Junkie Pomade (all)
    Curls Pure Essentials Moisturizer (silk amino acids)
    Curly Hair Solutions Curlkeeper
    Curly Hair Solutions Gel
    Greenridge Herbals Jojoba Shea Hair Butter
    Hamadi Shea Pomade
    Jane Carter Solution condition and sculpt
    Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream
    Jessicurl (any)
    Long Lovely Locks (any)
    Mop Top Anti-Frizz Gel (silk amino acids)
    Mop Top Pomade
    Oyin Greg Juice
    Oyin Shine and Define Styling Serum
    Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Hair Tea
    Qhemet Biologics Herbal Henna Botanical Softening Oil
    Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
    Qhemet Biologics Karite Nut Curl Milk
    Qhemet Biologics Amla/Olive Heavy Cream
    Qhemet Biologics Olive Cream Conditioning Instant Detangler
    Shea Terra Organics Certified Organic Shea Butter
    Tai Texture Lavender Mist
    Tai Texture Whip Creme[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade
    Biolage Gelee (old formula)
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (hydrolyzed silk
    Boots Essentials Curl Creme (pink version)
    Boots Botanic Frizz Free Curl Cream (white, UK Formula)
    Fresh Sugar Shea Butter
    Jack Black Body-Building Hair Gel
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Little Shop of Beauty cocktail hair & body mist
    Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue
    MyHoneyChild (any, except perhaps the type 4, type 3/4, and type 4/3 hair cremes, which contain soy butter)
    Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Tigi Control Freak Serum (2 water-soluble silicones)
    Wella Liquid Hair Brilliant Spray Gel Volume & Texture (Strong Hold)
    Wella Liquid Hair Power Shift Shaping Gel (Strong)
    Wella Liquid Hair Kryptonite Acrylic Gel (Ultra Hold)
    Wella Bonk Raw Hair Jam Strong Hold Gel
    Wella Liquid Hair Crystal Styler Styling Gel (Extra Strong)
    Wella Bonk Crystal Dynamite Iridescent Shine Gel
    Wella Bonk Mega Spiker Extreme Hold Styler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sally's Beauty Supply:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aura Radiant Humectant Pomade
    Aura Hypoallergenic Gel
    Jamaican Mango & Lime Shine-A-Loc
    Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Oil
    Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel
    Volumax Styling Gel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Health Food Store/Trader Joe's:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe Vera Gel
    Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturizing Jelly
    Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel
    Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

mamauv2

• [FONT=&quot]African Pride Brain Sheen Spray Extra Shine (1 water-soluble silicone, silk amino acids)
    Aussie Tizz No Frizz
    Aussie Dual Personality Water + Gel
    Cococare Cocoa Butter Stick
    Dax Relax Shine & Hold Gel
    Dax Relax Texturizing Foaming Mousse
    Dove Defined Texture Molding Cream (silk amino acids)
    Dove Gel, Define & Shine Control
    Dove Gel, Shape & Life Volumizing
    F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel
    F/X Curls Up Curl-Reviving Mousse (spray/pump bottle)
    F/X Root Lifter Volume Booster (1 water-soluble silicone)
    Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil
    Got2Be Defiant Define + Shine Pomade
    Got2B Spiked Up Gel
    Head Wear Strung Out Styling Goo
    Head Wear Thickening Gel
    Head Wear Pliable Putty
    Herbal Essences Body Envy Weightless Volumizing Gel
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
    Herbal Essences Texturizing Pomade (1 water-soluble silicone)
    Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel (1 water-soluble silicone)
    Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme Hairdress
    Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil
    ISOPLUS Wrap Lotion
    John Frieda Frizz-Ease Relax Moisture Remedy Rehydrating Balm (discontinued?)
    La Bella Icy Cool Styling Gel
    La Bella Styling Gel Super Hold 9 (keratin amino acids)
    La Bella Super Spikes Styling Gel
    L'oreal Out of Bed Instant Texture (cream gel) (1 water-soluble silicone)
    L'oreal Studio Line Anti-Frizz Gel (1 water-soluble silicone) (discontinued)
    L'oreal Studio Line Texture Grab Gel
    Luster's Pink Short Looks Gel
    Luster's S-Curl Texturizer Stylin' Gel
    Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel
    Salon Selectives Control Substance Molding Putty
    Soft Sheen Gold Care Free Curl Hair & Scalp Spray for Dry Curls & Body Waves (wheat amino acids)
    Suave Firm Control Gel
    Woltra Cocoa Butter Stick[/FONT]

gymfreak336

I love my Giovanni products

I personally would put them closer to none in terms of protein impact. The soybean protein is moisturizing, which is another reason why Paul Mitchel Supercharged Moisturizier has soybean protein in it too. I think its like the 2nd or 3rd ingredient.

I can use a heavier protein treatment and use giovanni smooth as silk right afterwards and it softens my hair right up. I am protein sensitive too. It doesn't take much to throw my balance off whack. I think since the giovanni smooth as silk has other emollient ingredients, the net effect is a balance of both.