Are the metal pins for securing rollers damaging?

I'm in the process of mastering using the pins to rollar set but I do remember Tracy posting how after a while she had markings left all over her scalp due to the metal pins when rollar setting (probably from the heat of the dryer). Anyone else had problems like this?

Its the silver pins that the Dominican salons use that open and close on one side with a spring load action that slide on each side of a rollar.

Also, I *think* someone else on this board (Pumpkin?) mentioned that their hairdresser said they eventually make your hair thin. Do you know why?

Does anyone have any negative experiences with using pins long term? I'd hate to master using pins only to find that they were damaging the hair and/or scalp /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BRH,

I really don't think the pins are damaging. The problem I posted about was due to the heat of the dryer, not the pins and it was the only problem I had in which they were involved.

If any damage is to be attributed I think it would be more due to someone who never masters them and overmanipulates the hair trying to use them (but that would be true of anything you try with the hair) - I see no other way in which they could make the hair thin over time. Sliding a pin or two in and out of place at the base of a roller once or twice a week is certainly no more damaging over time than caps which are slid on and off the top of a portion of the length of the hair once or twice a week.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think that's damaging either. Certainly no more or less so than pins. The only way to avoid any manipulation in this way completely would be to airdry the hair. The nature of rollersetting is such that the roller must be secured. It been done this way routinely by women everywhere and it has been long considered the safest and gentlest way to dry the hair. I don't think it could have gotten that reputation if it were yanking folks' hair out! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HTH

Thanks Tracy for clarifying your situation. That makes me feel alot better about conquering the 'rollar/pin comb' quest....

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My stylist said the metal clippies were not the best thing for the hair. I do notice that when I set with the metal clippies my hair tends to shed more than usual. So I am trying the metal rollers with the fishnet lookng material that you clip with large bobbie pins. The effects of the metal clippies are probably really minimal but I figured I would get rid of all the minimal bad things because they will eventually add up to one huge problem. Plus the metal rollers help my hair to dry faster.

wow... that doesn't sound good then if the metal pins increased shedding! I have fine hair as it is without having something make it more so!!I'll monitor the situation for a while.

Are the metal rollars (I've never heard of these, please describe...) smooth all over so you get a smooth rollar set?

I have never experienced any problems with using the silver (metal) clips for securing my roller sets. How long have you been using the silver (metal) clips? Have you actually experienced any problems with them yet? I'd say keep using them if you aren't experiencing any problems. Afterall, they might work for some, but they won't work for everyone.

Allandra, I've only just started using them. Tonight was maybe my 3rd/4th time using them properly. I'm still in practise mode and do approx 80% pins and 20% plastic covers...I'll keep going unless I see negative affects.

BRH: The metal looking rollers are the same ones they used at Joseph's. It looks like a metal spring covered with fishnet looking material.

Tracey: I found myself shedding alot with the metal clips when there was apparent newgrowth. My hair would be so thick underneath and my hair would get caught between the clippies as I would try to take them out. This is why I am trying something new. Another alternative I just thought about would be to use the regular plastic rollers but to secure them with x-tra long bobbie bins. My problem was not with the rollers but with the clippies

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Re: Are the metal pins for securing rollers damagi

It would make sense that these clips could be damaging. I actually have a scar on my forehead from one of the clips that got too hot.

But, the good news is--

1. We don't roller set every day
2. No one roller sets their hair the exact same way each time(rollers in different places each time, different hairs make it into different curls each time)
3. The place where we put the clip is probably slightly different each time

So, the clips are not affecting the same hair long enough to cause a problem.

Pumpkin,

You don't think the long bobby pins would be harder to take out and put in than metal clips? And also as to your issue with the pins - that doesn't sound like shedding to me. That sounds like you were having a hard time getting a pin out (or in) and pulled and broke hair trying to get it out. Shedding takes place at the root - the hair follicle essentially lets go of the hair strand that it houses and you lose it. I see no way that metal roller clips could make this happen - unless I'm misunderstanding you.

You mentioned that your hair does this when you have a lot of new growth - now THAT makes sense. Any kind of manipulation (rollersetting, combing, putting hair up, a wet comb out) requires more care because there are two textures to be considered when youhave noticeable newgrowth. I do a lot of wet buns and/or getting my hair done at the salon when I'm at this stage so I don't lose my patience with it until it's time to relax. I usually only have to do this for about a week. Two tops. I don't t rollerset myslef because to be honest - you're right - it's harder to rollerset when your at this stage. You have to be more careful. I avoid the situation entirely and if I must rollerset on my own I'm extra careful.

It sounds to me like the issues you were having were not related to metal clips but t difficulties handling the hair with considerable new growth. The other poster who mentioned about burning themselves (girl I done it too! /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) - that sounds like a heat control issue (regulating the temperature of the appliance) rather than the metal clips themselves.

BRH - again, I just don't think this is something to worry about. It's no more damaging than anything else short of combing your hair down after you wash it and letting it dry (and wearing it outside /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) like that. Everything - from the ponytail method, to blowdrying, to manipulating the hair after an airdry has the potential for damage (broken hair etc.) . Any potential damage in this case is easy to avoid and I don't think you should worry at all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You don't think the long bobby pins would be harder to take out and put in than metal clips?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same exact thing. In my opinion, those long bobby pins would be much more difficult to take in and out than the silver clip would be. I tried it on one roller (with the bobby pin), and I was like, NO WAY.

BRH and Pumpkin
I heard from a stylist that the metal/silver clips were damaging b/c they conduct heat. When you are sitting under the dryer for 1 hour or more it can be as bad for your hair as keeping a curling iron on your hair for that same time period. The 'correct' way to set your hair on rollers is with those plastic pins or snap on tops. B/C plastic does not conduct heat thus making it safer for your hair.
But like Tracy said you can regulate the temperature of your dryer so they won't get that hot but I still feel that the pins will get hot sitting under the dryer, much hotter than plastic and can burn your hair (or scalp) over time or even with one use depending on how fine or sensitive your hair is. (Even though we don't roller set every day and we roll our hair different ways each time we roller set)
Bottom line is that it can cause damage even though it may be minimal. But I guess it all depends on how anal and extra careful you want to be.
I have seen metal clips that look a little more dull that the bright silver tone ones. Maybe these don't conduct heat as well? Not sure....just a thought.
Valleygirl

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But I guess it all depends on how anal and extra careful you want to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - what Valleygirl said.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel like there's soo much that we must watch out for our hair that everything's damaging. Yes the metal clips can become as damaging as curling irons. This is why, when I dry my hair under a hood dryer, I use the coolest temperature as possible. When I come from under the hood dryer my metal clips are NEVER warm or even hot. Another alternative, if you are fearful of the heat, air dry with the metal clips holding the rollers. The only heat there will be body heat.

Brownrelaxedhair,
If you are concerned about using the metal clips, how about using the clips that are made of plastic instead. They look ( except for colour..I mean color /images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and function the same way as the metal clips...just that they are made of plastic. I have some that I had bought at Sally's and I really like them a lot. They come in different colors..some of mine are pink and some are blue.
rosebud

Back