Speaking up at the salon.. could it make things worst for you??

blackberry815

I think you can get the vibe of the salon pretty quickly before you end up in the chair. I would give general directions about wide tooth combs (I suggest mine if they don't seem to have theirs on hand) and combing from the ends, details I would let go unless they are really messing with your head. I also use my own products when I go.

Also what exactly do you go to get done at the salon?

Just relaxers

Sent from my ADR6400L

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I think it's good to speak up at the salon. Different customers want different things. If your combing my hair wrong, scrubbing my scalp too hard, etc. I'm gonna tell you. I've had people (when I tried another salon) cop a 'tude, but so what? I haven't taken care if and grown my hair just to let someone else come and jack it up just cuz they went to school.

Speaking up also makes for a better stylist, because they know how you like YOUR hair done. I know this may upset some stylists, but is that the type of stylist you'd want? Yeah, they may have went to school, but you live with your hair and you know what does and doesnt work for you. I've fired my stylist a few times because I have to wait so long... I kept going back though because she knows what I want and is not scissor happy. I'm afraid to try someone new for this very reason.

Sent from my Samsung Epic :)

HappilyLiberal

If you have to worry about speaking up at the salon making things worse, that is a sure sign that you need another stylist because there is a lack of trust between you and the current stylist.

blackberry815

It's your hair and your money. You should get the services in the exact way that you want. I loved my old stylist, but she retired and moved out of state in 2007. I never have found another regular stylist.

Have you considered doing your own hair?

I'd hate to see you end up posting a thread about some scissor happy stylist cutting off your MBL hair to APL or leaving the relaxer on longer than you wanted so your hair is falling out....all because you did not speak up.

ETA: I have had my share of unpleasant salon experiences. I take my own products/tools and usually I have no problem with the stylist....or minimal problems when asking them to use a certain product or comb my hair from the bottom up (I'm natural).

Ok salon experience:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=219345&highlight=salon

Not so good salon experience:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=538233&highlight=salon

I have considered doing my own hair but i want the salon to do my relaxers from now on because it looked better when they did it.

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

If you have to worry about speaking up at the salon making things worse, that is a sure sign that you need another stylist because there is a lack of trust between you and the current stylist.

I dont know the stylist like that so it is another stylist. There is no trust when u dont know people. Or have only gone once. All i have to bank on really are the reviews she had and the facts that my hair came out nice after a wash and set.

Aside from that she seems approchable and nice. I am just asking because there were a few things i didnt like and didnt know if it was better say something or move on.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Bnster

No it's not rude to speak up at the salon. It's your hair, it's your money, it's your appearance.

So what if they went to school for what they're doing. Maybe the curriculum at the school needs to be revised if they're not being taught to comb from the ends up, be gentle with hair while washing, don't apply relaxer to the scalp, etc.

I haven't been to a salon in 4 years but I did offend a stylist by speaking up. I had gone to that stylist every 2 weeks for years. I had started taking better care of my ends and I started saying "I don't want a trim this time" when I got a relaxer. The more I did that the more upset she got. The last straw was when she said "you know when you don't get a trim I have to cut off more the next time".

After that I found a new salon - a Dominican salon. They did what I wanted.

It's fine to speak up to anyone who went to school for what they're doing - a stylist, a nurse, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, whatever.

To the bolded and that was the last time I went to my HS and began being a DIYer.
Amen! Problem solved. I spoke up it was hard at first but one to many cries and frustration from HS not listening, I spoke up. LHCF made me realize it is okay to speak up sternly and I did and the person listened.

Fear and trying to please, not to offend is your enemy to your hair. We know when we face our fair, we usually find out there wasn't nothing really to fear about, it is all in our mind.

ETA: Good Luck!

Last edited: