Are Micro's really that bad?

FrizzMizz

Are Micro\'s really that bad?

I want to change up my natural hair a bit and not mess with my hair for 1-2 months. I've never had braids so I'm thinking about getting Micros. But it seems that micros tend to break the hair, even the braid lady advice against it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. So what is it, ladies? What do I need to do to prevent breakage with micros, or am I just doomed if I get them.

Re: Are Micro\'s really that bad?

Micros aren't that bad if they aren't braided tightly. Once you get substantial new growth either get a retouch or take them out. The hanging and tugging on the new hair can cause breakage.

For me, yes, they were (I got them one and only time and my hair locked up and broke off), but my friend gets micros and her hair just THRIVES on them. I think it's all about keeping them super moisturized. I definitely failed in this area, and I think that's why I had problems. Good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think they are bad when they are too small, causes bad knots. If I cant put a sharp pencil point through them then they are too small (well for me anyway)

I've had them several times, and they worked fine for my hair. I did lack on the moisture part, the only bad part thing is all the manipulation from taking them out. you have to be careful or you will lose alot of hair

i love em!..i've never had any damage from them..but the key is not having them braided to tight, and keeping them moisturized..you also wanna make sure to keep your scalp and hair clean, or else you'll have that little ball of "gunk" at the beginning of the braid...that can cause knots and some of your hair to come out when you're taking the braids down

[ QUOTE ]
Ayeshia:
I think they are bad when they are too small, causes bad knots. If I cant put a sharp pencil point through them then they are too small (well for me anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]
I would never get them again, not w/my hair at this length /images/graemlins/nono.gif. My hair NEVER knotted before and I've finally grown my hair to the point when I can cut them out. My knots were about 4" up my strand. It's been at least 3 years since I had them last. So /images/graemlins/nono.gif, none for me. If you decide that this is best for your hair you should find a good braid spray, wash and condition them periodically, get them retouched @ the 6 week mark and take them down, not matter what by the 12th week mark. I never had excessive breakage or shedding, b/c I took care of them like they were my hair, but I couldn't do a thing to prevent those knots that I'm still dealing w/. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

For me it was bad. The person who did them did a horrible job. Plus it took too long and I don't have the patience.

Okay. so what I'm hearing is moisture, moisture. Too tight braids. Too small braids. What about hair texture? My hair is really soft but thick and a bit on the wavy side. Do you think texture has anything to do with micro breakage?

Are you ladies saying to moisturize the braids themselves? With what? I don't get it. I guess I'm thinking your hair is inside the braids why am I moisturizing fake hair? Do you mean moisturize my scalp?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you ladies saying to moisturize the braids themselves? With what? I don't get it. I guess I'm thinking your hair is inside the braids why am I moisturizing fake hair? Do you mean moisturize my scalp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well some sprays can penetrate the braids like water does and reaches your hair.

I'm really not comfortable w/this choice. Can you get a larger braided style that you might be comfortable w/? Just asking...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You moisturize the braid b/c the braid is so small it's easy to penetrate to your hair. The fake hair doesn't penetrate the oil, it just lies on top. People make braid sprays, Razac does, Wankee used to. They are typically the consistency of a curl spray, slightly heavier sometimes. Spraying the scalp helps too, it softens the new growth (if needed).

Micros were not bad for me, coz I did them myself and so didn't do them tight. Also I was careful to use less extension hair per section, than the amount of my own hair in the section (=less strain on my hair). Also, because I touched them up often, I didn't have them knotting up and I didn't allow the braided part to grow too far from my scalp...which can cause a painful pulling sensation. And now I'll drop the bombshell: I was following Brenda's regimen www.blackwomenrejoice.com for two years and used no leave-in or sprays. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Instead, I'd wash my hair often; at LEAST every 3 days. Sooner if my hair felt dry; so I got my moisture from washing and conditioning often. I didn't always use shampoo, but would condition wash every now and then. So I never had the build-up that causes pple to get tangles or knots. /images/graemlins/sekret.gif I do realize if you don't do your own braids, washing them often can become expensive coz you would probably need to retouch them more often.

If you would like my advice and won't be doing them yourself or if you aren't sure you know what you'll be doing, I say follow Robin's regimen www.growafrohairlong.com and get thicker braids. Only because they're safer, and you'll have guidance on caring for them...as well as role models to emulate.

Back