APOLOGY FOR AFRO HAIR?

Choclatcotton

Do people, family, coworkers, ever make you feel like you have to apologize for your afro hair? Do they come at you with snide comments like,"When You going to do your hair?" Do Caucasian coworkers treat you differently? Have you experienced any afro-scrimination? SOmetimes I feel like the only one in my small town that appreciates the true texture of our beautifully verstile hair. I always keep mine neat and clean and I even try to have "bangin" hair do's:lol: Anyone else experience this? sometimes family is the worse offenders. Yet when they see the results of HEATLESS MATINENCE they shower you with compliments :eek:

LynnieB

when i first laid it down i wasn't relaxing anymore - i heard that ish and got the fisheye ---->:eek:.

not anymore though and even though sometimes my hair won't cooperate with what i'm trying to do with it, what other folks think just doesn't phase me as much as it did a few months ago.

keep it moving i say and leave 'em to their own thoughts.

thoughts and thoughtless statements are just that. :)

Cheleigh

No, I don't have to apologize for my natural, God-given hair texture. That would be insane. :)

I don't recall experiencing any discrimination for any quarter, be it family or coworkers. I do remember my uncle Frank saying to me--"you hair sure is looking nappy, isn't it?" :) :( (I thought it was hilarious, but it makes me sad to think of it because my uncle just died last week). My dad did ask me last week (he lives out of state) why I don't relax anymore, and if I ever would again, and my answer was: I didn't want to anymore, and probably not.

Anyhoo, everyone was totally supportive of my going natural, and although while transitioning, I did get a few questions about "are you going to wear it in an afro or loc it?" all the time. Those comments/questions ceased after the BC.

At my uncle's memorial service, my cousin said "oh, you've cut your hair! I like it though." Now, I swear she saw me at my granny's birthday party in June with a shrunken afro, but okay. :D

lsubabiedee

I have never felt as if I needed to apologize for my hair. And I'm positive I never will. I have nothing to apologize for.

But about those comments.....only a few people have ever been bold enough to say something to me and it never got to me b/c either they were old, were family, had jacked up hair, or any combination of the above.

Aveena

I wish I knew about this site when I was natural. I used to get those comments all the time especially from my mom! she hated my hair natural. :mad: People at work never said a thing.

Ariana4000

Shoot, my my mama gets mad at my new growth. She can't stand new growth or my tex laxed hair. I told her I want dreads one day and she nearly passed out. :ill:

lsubabiedee

Ariana4000 said:
Shoot, my my mama gets mad at my new growth. She can't stand new growth or my tex laxed hair. I told her I want dreads one day and she nearly passed out. :ill:

my momma answered FOR ME when somebody asked me if i was loc'ing up. little does she know that it's one of the things i think about a lot.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

My mom wasnt for it when I first started on my wearing wash and go's journey. She was worried that "the man" wouldn't accept me on my j-o-b. This was back in like May or June. Now, she is impressed with my texture, thickness, etc and could care less what I do to my hair LOL

jtsupanova

lsubabiedee said:
I have never felt as if I needed to apologize for my hair. And I'm positive I never will. I have nothing to apologize for.

But about those comments.....only a few people have ever been bold enough to say something to me and it never got to me b/c either they were old, were family, had jacked up hair, or any combination of the above.

What she said

snookes

when i first laid it down i wasn't relaxing anymore - i heard that ish and got the fisheye ---->:eek:.

not anymore though and even though sometimes my hair won't cooperate with what i'm trying to do with it, what other folks think just doesn't phase me as much as it did a few months ago.

keep it moving i say and leave 'em to their own thoughts.

thoughts and thoughtless statements are just that. :)
Lol fish eye that's a perfect way to describe it lol :D

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Lol fish eye that's a perfect way to describe it lol :D
Thinks for bumping this out the wood work:pepper:.

I haven't gotten "hair hate" really. I just know that Grandma calls my hair nappy. But I like that. Takes a lot for me to be offended. I offend others by NOT getting offended probably. I'm built strong. But I hope others don't let these kind of comments sway them from being natural.

guyaneseyankee

My father probably doesn't approve of my sister's and my natural texture. He prefers long relaxed hair. I did a rollerset two weeks ago and sent a picture of my hair fresh out the rollers, he was like I like it:perplexed: I was like it's not done:perplexed: I looked like someone's grandma.

As long as it was straight he was happy.:nono:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
@guyaneseyankee lol. I don't know why this made me chuckle at your dad. It just seems like a "dad" thing to say. And your response. I love your hair. Your puff looks awesome. But you don't need me to tell you that. :biggrin: