Afro textured hair...GHETTO?

OT kinda: When I lived in SEAsia there were quite a few people with the "afro perm" BAAs. Whenever my mom or little sis wore their hair in 'fros and would come across a person with an afro perm or whatever they call it, they would stare at my mom or my sis's hair like they were crazy. It was so backwards :rolleyes:

Where does this natural hair/afro = 'ghetto' mentality come from?

I know quite a few 'ghetto' people and welfare recipients and they wouldn't be caught dead with nappy hair.

Where does this natural hair/afro = 'ghetto' mentality come from?

I know quite a few 'ghetto' people and welfare recipients and they wouldn't be caught dead with nappy hair.

Where I live in, NONE of them would. Where I live, the hairstyle of choice is that weird sculptured gelled-up hairdo going around.

how in the world did you find this?

And also a lot of people think anything related to Black people automatically equals Ghetto, so the person's rhetoric doesn't surprise me.

whatever. i'm not stressed. but she's clearly ignorant of the history and current culture around the afro. i see fewer afros in the hood than i see outside of it, is all i'm saying.

Question: How do you all know there's a language barrier? Does it say she's even in China?

Last edited:
how in the world did you find this?

And also a lot of people think anything related to Black people automatically equals Ghetto, so the person's rhetoric doesn't surprise me.

Through fotki. How to turn yaki hair into afro textured hair. ......:look::lachen::blush::perplexed:nono:

Bosslady1- While I am not offended per se, I understand your annoyance. I hardly found you being in a tizzy about anything it seems as though you simply did not appreciate it. It does seem like most times when WE are offended by "others", the first thing another Black person says is "oh it's not that big of a deal, get over it", etc as if you have no right or basis for your feelings. I do always wonder why we are quick to dismiss negativity or stereotypical behavior toward us by anyone. :ohwell:

When the chick referenced the 70's the first thing I remembered was the reason WHY Blacks wore the afro's and the whole i'm Black and proud era, which had nothing to do with a FAD. Braids and Afros are often referred to as FADS by US as well. :perplexed

By the way, which part of bling bling and gangster was the flattery?? :lachen:

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but how long has BET been on the air??? I'm gonna guess it's about the same amount of time. I don't think there are a ton of Black people in China, their perception of "us" will be based on what they see in the media.

What does BET have to do with the average black person. Nobody expects the average white girl to be just like britney spears, or maybe some people do. But I don't really see many gangsters on BET, just a bunch of entertainers and a couple of rappers that used to be drug dealers. Gangster takes on a different connotation to me

Are the opinions of such an ignorant person worthy of a thread?

She clearly loves the look of Afro hair, and has tried to mimic it.

Quite imaginative, but she doesnt have the good hair required to hold that style:look:

It causes negative backlash because most black people still think natural hair is ugly.

So a girl makes a video about how to create an afro, and calls it a ghetto and gangster hair style. Black people find it offensive, and you think its because black people think natural hair is ugly? LOL, you are really reaching, but its not about bashing black people who are not natural, its about how you feel about what this chick posted, LOL

ETA: I am not particularly offended by her. She is young and obviously ignorant about black people, but I don't think she is intentionally trying to insult anyone

Last edited:
I just signed into Fotki, and this is the pic I saw
232259165vi_jpg1196166556v-vi.jpg
It's called "Yin and Yang" and while I appreciate it's artistic composition, it totally rubs me the wrong way. Overly simplified, I understand Yin and Yang to represent the balance and/or relationship between opposites. Good & evil, light & dark, up & down, hot & cold, strong & weak, black & white...I think you see where I'm going with this... :nono:

What does BET have to do with the average black person. Nobody expects the average white girl to be just like britney spears, or maybe some people do. But I don't really see many gangsters on BET, just a bunch of entertainers and a couple of rappers that used to be drug dealers. Gangster takes on a different connotation to me
I never said BET had anything to do with the average Black person. What I said was the media is where a lot of people get their info about groups of "unknowns"...be it race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. These images are usually overwhelmingly negative, which in turn contributes to widespread ignorance. I remember watching Oprah and she told a story about her most recent trip to South Africa while building her school. She said that her security detail had to tell the locals to stop calling them n*ggers...when asked why, they explained the history and connotation of the word. Their reply? That's what we see on tv, and hear in music, we thought it was cool, and that's how all of you (Black Americans) talked...this was in AFRICA!!!

So a girl makes a video about how to create an afro, and calls it a ghetto and gangster hair style. Black people find it offensive, and you think its because black people think natural hair is ugly? LOL, you are really reaching, but its not about bashing black people who are not natural, its about how you feel about what this chick posted, LOL

ETA: I am not particularly offended by her. She is young and obviously ignorant about black people, but I don't think she is intentionally trying to insult anyone

My response was in regards to the question posed by Bosslady, not a response to the original post topic. Even though I didn't quote the question, I thought it was obvious by the way I posed my answer...

It shouldn't even be funny if a black person said it. Why does wearing your hair natural cause so much negative back lash?

It causes negative backlash because most black people still think natural hair is ugly.

And yes, though it's off topic, IMO the majority of black people find natural hair to be ugly.

I never said BET had anything to do with the average Black person. What I said was the media is where a lot of people get their info about groups of "unknowns"...be it race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. These images are usually overwhelmingly negative, which in turn contributes to widespread ignorance. I remember watching Oprah and she told a story about her most recent trip to South Africa while building her school. She said that her security detail had to tell the locals to stop calling them n*ggers...when asked why, they explained the history and connotation of the word. Their reply? That's what we see on tv, and hear in music, we thought it was cool, and that's how all of you (Black Americans) talked...this was in AFRICA!!!

LOL, about Oprah being called a N!gger:lachen:

a. you'd be surprised how much BET and black media influences the thoughts of people who do not encounter black people on a daily basis, which is quite possible in a lot of the world. Particularly talking about asian countries where a person can go quite a long time without seeing even one black person to counter a sterotype. I think this girl is western though..? so idk if that really makes a difference. I think she's just being ~*edgy*~ or w/e.

b. msa's point is not true? I think its true. Maybe not thinking its ugly, but def not as cute, lol, lets be real here. I think that most people who do not think its true are either thinking only of themselves (in terms of their opinion) and not the wider spectrum. (especially in terms of "ghetto" type folk)

I'm not really insulted by this because I'm still laughing at the 'we wear their hair all the time" post :lachen:

Fotki has some questionable "photo of the day" at times. I could continue by saying like and dislike, hate and love....

The opinion of this ignorant person sure is worthy of a thread because she is talking down to MY culture. People get killed for that same reason. I am throwing a perspective out there for ALL to see. There are worst threads in rotation, humbly paste that question there.

You responded...so clearly it rubbed your fingers to type.

Although "we wear their hair all the time", the message is different. People of all cultures wear "their" hair as a form of protective styling...just a hairstyle. Her remarks about TRUE ghettoness and a afro is a sign of being a gangsta is discriminative. I never came across a person who wears a hairstyle just to mock a different race. In her case, that is what she was doing.

African perspective is always enlightening.

I agree why people are offended. In my opinion, if this girl is American, she needs to be slapped. But if she's actually in China, then she has more than an excuse. There are not many blacks in China and that part of the world is backwards when it comes to black people. I have a southeast asian roommate and I'm about to slap her a lot for her comments, but I don't because I know it's out of ignorance and not out of malice. It's frustrating I know. I walk around with a satin cap and my roommate says I look cool like a gangster, I wanted to stab her but I know she doesn't know better.
And they don't know any better about white culture either. They DO think everyone is like Britney Spears and that every black is a gangster rapper.
That's the media.
Feel sorry for the people, they have to live in a dictatorship.

What I'm seeing is a lot of people upset over the terms ghetto and gangsta. Could it be that in the culture that she is in ghetto and gangsta are not loaded terms? I mean, they don't have the ghetto the way that we know ghetto, and they don't have gangstas the way that we we have gangstas. So to them they are just discriptive words.

Sometimes its possible for a person to use a word that they've heard and not know/understand the context under which it originated.

I hear white people call one another crackers all the time completely ignorant of the origin of the phrase, and when they learn what it means they feel just a little sheepish.

(cracker= the person in the field that had the whip)

I am not giving her any slack. Everyone is aware of slavery and the black and white race and as smart as their culture is, they know the definition of ghetto otherwise she would not have started with such an intro.

She knew what she was saying...she did not expect to grab the audience she was talking about, that is all. :laugh:

:lachen::lachen:

I am not giving her any slack. Everyone is aware of slavery and the black and white race and as smart as their culture is, they know the definition of ghetto otherwise she would not have started with such an intro.

She knew what she was saying...she did not expect to grab the audience she was talking about, that is all. :laugh:

Sorry but the Oprah story I just told proves this to be FALSE. If Black locals in South Africa don't know that the term n*gger is offensive, why is an Asian girls improper usage of a slang term such a stretch? She strikes me as young and ignorant, not malicious. And who are you or any of us to tell strangers what they do and don't know? Seriously.

Based on the link that was posted and her Xanga page, she is American.
Name: Connie (Pucca)
State: Michigan
Metro: Ann Arbor
Birthday: 1/30/1987

The definition of ghetto is not Black oriented. Ghetto is a term that refers to an ethnically homogenous area that is LIKELY a lower economic class area, but not necessarily, e.g., Polish ghettos pre-WWII. The current AMERICAN understanding of the term is that it's a "gansta" area inhabited by blacks. If that girl truly was an Asian resident, she would more likely be familiar with the definition than our society's connotation.

The definition of ghetto is not Black oriented. Ghetto is a term that refers to an ethnically homogenous area that is LIKELY a lower economic class area, but not necessarily, e.g., Polish ghettos pre-WWII. The current AMERICAN understanding of the term is that it's a "gansta" area inhabited by blacks. If that girl truly was an Asian resident, she would more likely be familiar with the definition than our society's connotation.
I happen to think that the real problem is the Black community's love for taking offensive terms, poorly redefining them, and trying to repackage it as something cool. You can't expect others to hold themselves to a standard you yourself completely ignore. You don't wanna be called outside of your name by others, stop doing it yourself. :wallbash: DUH!!!

Back