APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

bluenvy

I'm all for being positive about my HHJ but with the breakage I'm experiencing I'm not sure I'll be at APL by December. But at least my hairline is filling in nicely and my hair is shorter but thicker.

That's great your hairline is growing in! What have you been doing to fix breakage?

bluenvy

Get them nerves out of your system charmtreese we will get there soon. I'm joining apl/bsl 2015. My hair is just past apl, and will need some time to fully reach Bsl

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm excited about our end of year length checks too. We have all made so much progress. I was looking at pics from thos time last year and my hair looks much shinier. It has grown a bit too. Nothing too crazy, but I'm grateful anyway :yay:

iLurk

Kinda need some help here

I have a problem with scalp flaking but its only in 1 specific area of my scalp. Ive tried massaging and oiling it but it still flakes up :perplexed I'm confused whats going on here.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Kinda need some help here

I have a problem with scalp flaking but its only in 1 specific area of my scalp. Ive tried massaging and oiling it but it still flakes up :perplexed I'm confused whats going on here.

Is it dry scalp or dandruff? Have you tried hot oil treatments. I get a dry scalp in the winter so I do HOTs to keep my scalp flake free

PlainJane

I will not be participating in the length check :nono:
My hair stopped retaining after my comparison shot from October-May when I made APL. I've been trimming and will continue to trim to APL until December so I can start 2015 with fresh and healthy ends.
It doesn't bother me though because at the end of the year that will mark 1 year of transitioning and I've learned so much about my hair this year.

snoop

Yay! So this year marks my 3rd HHJ anniversary! I wouldn't have thought that my hair would EVER have been this long. I think that I'm grazing BSL, but I'm going to wait until the end of the year or beginning of next to claim it.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1414431791522-picsay.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1414431791522-picsay.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20141025_134547.jpg
    20141025_134547.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 53

iLurk

Is it dry scalp or dandruff? Have you tried hot oil treatments. I get a dry scalp in the winter so I do HOTs to keep my scalp flake free

I dont know. the area doesn't itch or anything and the flakes kinda looks like what really ashy skin would look if you scratched vigorously i assume dry scalp. I've never had a hot oil treatment before. how does that work?

snoop your hair is gorg and yes you are def knocking at the door of bsl. congrats on making it this far can't wait to be there myself.

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Yay! So this year marks my 3rd HHJ anniversary! I wouldn't have thought that my hair would EVER have been this long. I think that I'm grazing BSL, but I'm going to wait until the end of the year or beginning of next to claim it.

Wonderful progress over the years. :)

bluenvy

You are so close to Bsl snoop! Shrinkage and all, I bet you fool people all the time when you stretch all that hair out.

PlainJane your hair may grow in length than thickness? My hair does this. It looks the same in lenght for months but at the same time grows in volume. It's weird but I love how thick it gets. Put away those scissors please

Fotchygirl

Oh for breakage I've been trying to fix my protein/moisture balance. I noticed it became worse after the henna application, I think it's because afterwards I blow dried and flat ironed. I hadn't used that much heat in months.

krissyc39

I straightened my hair today and part of my hair is BSL! Which is awesome cause I cut 1 1/2 inch last month...

Should I cut my hair more or nah? A nice even cut at APL would mean getting rid of all my dry ends/reducing future splits but I don't wanna lol.

ForumRunner_20141029_011351.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I straightened my hair today and part of my hair is BSL! Which is awesome cause I cut 1 1/2 inch last month...

Should I cut my hair more or nah? A nice even cut at APL would mean getting rid of all my dry ends/reducing future splits but I don't wanna lol.

If your ends are dry due to damage and splits I say cut them off as you don't want it to become worse. If you're wanting to cut for evenness then leave it alone unless you really have to ( I know some ladies gave to have even ends)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I dont know. the area doesn't itch or anything and the flakes kinda looks like what really ashy skin would look if you scratched vigorously i assume dry scalp. I've never had a hot oil treatment before. how does that work?

snoop your hair is gorg and yes you are def knocking at the door of bsl. congrats on making it this far can't wait to be there myself.

Before you shampoo rinse your hair with warm water. Then apply warmed up oil of your choice. Heat the oil in a cup of hot water. Work the oil through your hair and scalp. Cover with a bag and let it sit 15-20 minutes. Afterwards shampoo and condition.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen

Your ends look fine to me. And you just cut them last month. Moisturize them everyday and deep condition and see where they are 1.5-2 months from now then trim.

faithVA

View attachment 281519

I say do regular protein treatments and dust your ends once a month to get rid of the bad ends a little at a time.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My roots have started to revert a little bit, but I am still going strong. 5 days and counting

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1414592928262.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1414592928262.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 70

iLurk

Prettymetty thanks ill try that next wash day.

Did an unofficial lc just now on damp hair and it looks like I now need 2 inches til bsl. I don't wanna hype myself up because I've been wrong before but if my calculations are correct i'm just not going to be able to contain myself. :yay:

And I do need a real length checking tee. I tried making one myself but the lines are all crooked and and smudged.. I suck at arts and crafts

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
iLurk my diy length check tee is a little crooked too :lol: Oh well. Maybe if I put a length check tee in my amazon cart DH will take a hint and buy it for me.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I am thinking about going to the beauty college to get my hair dyed and blowdried. I want a root touch up in the front (auburn) and a chocolate rinse in the back. I looked up the prices and the color is $25, dc is $12 and the blowdry is $9. I'm just not sure when to do it. Maybe around New Year's

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I am thinking about going to the beauty college to get my hair dyed and blowdried. I want a root touch up in the front (auburn) and a chocolate rinse in the back. I looked up the prices and the color is $25, dc is $12 and the blowdry is $9. I'm just not sure when to do it. Maybe around New Year's

That's some gr8 prices. I love the idea of chocolate rinse.