APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

Long time no check in but I'm still here

I've been wearing cornrows under a full wig as my protective style and will continue that so I can retain length

I've been MIA. Too much working, my subscription expired, and a slew of other things but I'm back :wave: I blew my hair out to get twists with extensions. It's been 1 week, and I'm already ready to take them out. Hope everyone is well!

Attachments

• image-4148122473.jpg
    image-4148122473.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image-230389311.jpg
    image-230389311.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I went crazy in the dollar store today. They had silk scarves and a bunch of hair goodiesn there were 3 aisles of haircare! I also got a new spray bottle for my homemade leave ins.

Not doing as much of the protective styles as I should and I really should because split ends come super easily for me. I got a lot trimmed last time. However, hair is growing. Pic soon. No BSL any time soon I don't think. :(

Well I had a failed twist out today so bun for me. Works better because then my hair isnt rubbing on my clothes.

Hi ladies, just a quick checking in. I'm still here and still bunning. Not much going on with my hair. I found a routine that I think is working. Wash day is on Saturdays and co wash on Tuesday night. So far, I like the simplicity of it.

Well I had a failed twist out today so bun for me. Works better because then my hair isnt rubbing on my clothes.

I am just getting a better grip on flat twist outs. I was having this same problem as you, mines was falling some was perfect but mostly hanging low on my shirt collar. This time around I let my natural hair air dry from wng, next day I sectioned it off flat twist with some grape seed oil/jojoba oil(what I normally add after w/d) and applied Camille Rose moisture milk to roots and dry spots throughout. Next day at take down I was and still satisfied (day3) with my results, sits above my collar, nice volume and moist. I think if I added foam curls to ends I would of seen even better results, was kind of lazy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 76
I am just getting a better grip on flat twist outs. I was having this same problem as you, mines was falling some was perfect but mostly hanging low on my shirt collar. This time around I let my natural hair air dry from wng, next day I sectioned it off flat twist with some grape seed oil/jojoba oil(what I normally add after w/d) and applied Camille Rose moisture milk to roots and dry spots throughout. Next day at take down I was and still satisfied (day3) with my results, sits above my collar, nice volume and moist. I think if I added foam curls to ends I would of seen even better results, was kind of lazy

I love it!

Hi ladies, just a quick checking in. I'm still here and still bunning. Not much going on with my hair. I found a routine that I think is working. Wash day is on Saturdays and co wash on Tuesday night. So far, I like the simplicity of it.

Hi alanaturelle

I wash and Cowash on the same days. What is your routine or regimen on these days?

I just realized I have been wearing my bra improperly for pretty much my whole life. Now that I am wearing my bras correctly my boobs look soooo much better. My whole figure looks better. The downside is that bsl is further away now. Now im pushing my goal date to September. Grow baby grow!!

Lol Prettymetty well at least you got them fitting you better. Lol that's funny. What did it set you back to?

I need 2.5 more inches. Originally I needed 1.5. I had been tightening the straps too much and the clasp would ride up in the back. I did my last length check in March so September will be 6 months of growth. 2.5 inches seems like an attainable goal I think :yep:

As you all know, I've been wearing mini twists as a protective style since winter - yeah, i take them down and redo them every several weeks, but this time...

MY HAIR WAS SO MATTED LIKE DREADLOCKS IT WAS TERRIBLE. I literally had to tear through my hair with a comb and not as much hair as I thought would come out, came out. It was a lot of matted hair and I wanted to cry. I thought I was gonna have a setback, but my hair still looks good. The worst thing is that I had to comb it so viciously, but there was no other way without excessive cutting. I'm gonna lay off the mini twists for awhile.

As you all know, I've been wearing mini twists as a protective style since winter - yeah, i take them down and redo them every several weeks, but this time...

MY HAIR WAS SO MATTED LIKE DREADLOCKS IT WAS TERRIBLE. I literally had to tear through my hair with a comb and not as much hair as I thought would come out, came out. It was a lot of matted hair and I wanted to cry. I thought I was gonna have a setback, but my hair still looks good. The worst thing is that I had to comb it so viciously, but there was no other way without excessive cutting. I'm gonna lay off the mini twists for awhile.

Oh I'm sorry you had to go through that. Make sure you baby your hair for a bit...

Hi alanaturelle

I wash and Cowash on the same days. What is your routine or regimen on these days?

I'm just seeing your mention now. I'm sorry about that - I'm usually mobile either using my phone or my tablet so I don't get mention on them.

To answer your question, this is how Tuesday evening goes:
- Apply conditioner mix (honey, coconut oil, conditioner, tea tree oil and peppermint oil) on slightly damp hair and lightly finger detangle.

- Then I'll cover my hair with a plastic cap and a scarf and go take care of evening duties in the house such as helping the kids with homework and fixing dinner. So I keep the conditioner in my hair for anywhere between 1.5 to 2 hrs.

- As soon as I'm done with everything, I get in the shower and rinse out the conditioner, cowash with Tresemme Naturals. On those nights, I use a protein conditioner after cowash. Since the beginning of the year, I have been using Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor which my hair likes.

- Then I moisturize and seal using the LCO method: Liquid is water from the shower, Cream is Shea Moisture Thickening Milk mixed with Cantu Shea Butter leave in and Oil is Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. That seems like a lot of products but I'm really light handed with them. Also during the entire process, I'm lightly finger detangling. I don't use comb and don't towel dry either.

- I let my hair dry overnight in 6 single braids and the next morning, I just bun for the rest of the week. At night, I don't take the bun down; I just sprayed with my water mix, seal with homemade butter mix and tie with scarf and a satin bonnet.

I hope I've answered your question, :)

Checking in: Last week I wore my hair loose for the week. I think my ends ended up suffering because I wasn't braiding it at night and the ends were snagging on my clothes. So what am I doing today? A big puff on my head. :nono:

Yesterday when I washed I banded my hair, which I think went well. I'm hoping that tonight I can try doing a flat twist updo of some sort and maintain that for the remainder of the week. I think with care for my ends I can confidently claim APL within the next 2 months.

Putting this hair away in twist extensions. I will not make the june 1st length check, so here's my hair as of yesterday.

Attachments

• RSCN4558.JPG
    RSCN4558.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 44
As you all know, I've been wearing mini twists as a protective style since winter - yeah, i take them down and redo them every several weeks, but this time... MY HAIR WAS SO MATTED LIKE DREADLOCKS IT WAS TERRIBLE. I literally had to tear through my hair with a comb and not as much hair as I thought would come out, came out. It was a lot of matted hair and I wanted to cry. I thought I was gonna have a setback, but my hair still looks good. The worst thing is that I had to comb it so viciously, but there was no other way without excessive cutting. I'm gonna lay off the mini twists for awhile.

Sorry this happened BlaqKitty
The same thing happened after taking out my 2nd set of yarn braids last month. Im texturized but was severely underprocessed the last few times I did it. Even after detangling each piece as I took down the braids, i still had clumps of hair come out when I washed the next few times. NG was sticking out 2 inches away from my head. I know my ends are prob in bad shape.

Only thing that worked to soften and detangle was Giovanni SAS deeper moisture. I wanna do some small single braids with curly human braid hair but Im afraid of the same thing again.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Back