APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida

Just a quick FYI: i am only posting pics of my front scalp in 2 weeks 2/28/12 to see if there's any real difference in my thinning hair. I've tried so very hard not to look at my scalp every single day all day thinking how am I going to fix it? this was easier than I thought thanks to the rest of my hair and scalp feeling and looking so good with a solid hair care regimen
:cheers:

Better believe come March 31st, 2012! i'm posting length check pics with the rest of our group!!!

:circle:
Aaaah! 2 more days and I post an update on my front scalp (crossing fingers) there is improvement :pray: I will post a dry and wet set of pics and see if I can find my old pics from January to compare with February!

NikkiQ

Okay so I DC'd for about 3 hours and I'm now sitting here freshly detangled and rockin some big chunky Celies for now. I MIGHT be brave and try out a bun this week for work. Gotta figure out how to do it without lookin straight up ridiculous.

pookaloo83

Lost way too much hair just now. Second day bantu knot out was a tangled mess! I just cowashed, no dc, and bow dried tehn put in celie braids for possible braid out tomorrow. Doring the detangling and blow dry session I lost a lot of hair. Won't do bantu knots again unless it's on stretched or blow dried hair.

SincerelyBeautiful

So i just washed and DCed for about four hours and then i used my leave in conditioner with EVCO and i must say that my ends are so soft. I also couldn't resist looking at my length in the mirror. I think i may have two inches to go to be considered full APL in the back. Some of my ends are already there but i want my sides as well as my back to be even at APL. So now im back under my wig and may be continuing to wear wigs for at least another couple of months. I may even consider getting kinky tiwsts just for the summer just to protect those ends and reach my APL goal on time with no set backs!!!

Evolving78

this pic was taking last week. my hair wasn't combed down all the way, but this is where i am at now. i know i am breaking the rules of the HYH challenge, but i need to know if i am on the right track! :lol:

sorry this dang pic is big! i have such a hard time resizing photos on photobucket!

i am fixing the pic ladies

Last edited:

SavannahNatural

transitioning? said:
Are u guys waiting until ur full apl or will u claim apl when the bottom layers reach?

I'll claim when the bottom layers hit, but might remain and continue in 2013 for full APL. My hair is heavily layered!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

newnyer

See- now I feel like my hair is going backwards in length. Looked like I was a sneeze away from APL right after the New Year. Even w/ the dusting I should have been either the same or PREFERABLY a little longer. Just did an impromptu length check & it still looks like an inch away in the back. Mmmmmaaaaannn! :( That's what I get for looking. Humph! *throws temper tantrum*

kittenz

I reached a milestone! I'm able to put all my hair in one very skimpy high ponytail :happydance: And I know how y'all are with the "pics or it didn't happen" but you're going to have to take my word for it this time. Yay me!

NikkiQ

I'm still trying to figure out how to do a cute bun. Hopefully my hair is stretched enough by tomorrow when I wake up. Sucks you can't see the new color in any of the pics I took. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Aggie

I had a spa day for my hair today. I:

Clarified with Keracare 1st lather shampoo
Second wash with Keracare Hydrating & Detangling Shampoo
Black tea/caffeine powder rinse
Protein deep condition with Keracare Intense Restorative Masque
Moisture deep condition with AO HSR Conditioner
Used Keracare Leave-In Conditioner
Sealed with JBCO and One & Only Argan Oil

Used 10 minutes of heat under dryer to infuse the argan oil with my hair followed by cool air for another 15 minutes - now my hair is unbelievably soft to the touch and smells absolutely delish:lick:

GIJane

Let me first apologize for this long post.
I did something stupid and might have set myself back. :whip: Last night I decided to steam with my pre-poo consisting of AVG, castor oil and brahmi oil. Next, I used my homemade ayurvedic mixture (AVG, honey, aussie moist, ntm, brahmi oil, dpr-11, shea moisture mask, kalpi tone and bhringraj [sp?]). I put the mixture on top of the pre-poo and set under a heating cap for 3-4 hrs. I had accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up I went to wash my hair. I stepped in the shower and began rinsing my hair for about 3 minutes. Then I realized I left my poo bar. That's when I got lazy. By that time it was 2:00 a.m. My room is quite a distance from the showers. I reached for the soap. :spank: Yes I know better. I don't know what I was thinking. As a matter of fact, I wasn't thinking.

:cry: I would like to know what type of damage can I expect. I looked up the ingredients. Here they are: water, coconut acid, oleic acid, sodium sulfate, ethanolamine, cocamide DEA, sodium laureth sulfate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, soyamide DA, soyamidopropyl betaine, terasodium EDTA, tocopheryl acetate, hydroxypropyl methylcellose, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynl butylcarbamate triclosan.

I think I did put some aussie moist conditioner in my hair. I can still smell it. I didn't rinse it out.

I just want to be prepared. I need a game plan so I can deter the bad effects. Does anybody have any advice?

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

GIJane said:
I did something stupid and might have set myself back. :whip: Last night I decided to steam with my pre-poo consisting of AVG, castor oil and brahmi oil. Next, I used my homemade ayurvedic mixture (AVG, honey, aussie moist, ntm, brahmi oil, dpr-11, shea moisture mask, kalpi tone and bhringraj [sp?]). I put the mixture on top of the pre-poo and set under a heating cap for 3-4 hrs. I had accidentally fell asleep. When I woke up I went to wash my hair. I stepped in the shower and began rinsing my hair for about 3 minutes. Then I realized I left my poo bar. That's when I got lazy. By that time it was 2:00 a.m. My room is quite a distance from the showers. I reached for the soap. :spank: Yes I know better. I don't know what I was thinking. As a matter of fact, I wasn't thinking.

:cry: I would like to know what type of damage can I expect. I looked up the ingredients. Here they are: water, coconut acid, oleic acid, sodium sulfate, ethanolamine, cocamide DEA, sodium laureth sulfate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, butylene glycol, propylene glycol, soyamide DA, soyamidopropyl betaine, terasodium EDTA, tocopheryl acetate, hydroxypropyl methylcellose, DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynl butylcarbamate triclosan.

I think I did put some aussie moist conditioner in my hair. I can still smell it. I didn't rinse it out.

I just want to be prepared. I need a game plan so I can deter the bad effects. Does anybody have any advice?
i think best thing to do is.listen to your hair carefuly till the next 2 washes .it can be that nothing will.happen. If.it starts drying out all of à.sudden make sur you moisturize straight away .If it weakens maybe try à light protein .follow the balance closely . For the mean time.leave your hair alone in à.ps and see what happenss.

GIJane

Thanks coolsista-paris. I hope nothing bad happens. I left aussie moist conditioner in. I am going to take down my braids and detangle my hair. I will see what needs to be done then. After I detangle and remove all of the shed hairs. I am going to braid it back up. I think I will rock my wig for the next 3 weeks.

longhairdreaming

I've no advice but sending lots of positive hair vibes :yep:. Fingers crossed there will be no setback.

longhairdreaming

Checking in...I'm desperately in need of AVJ but I can't make the 4 hour round trip to get some till Thursday so it's water and coconut oil to m&s for the next few days. I'm also in need of yarn to redo my braids next weekend so I'll be on the hunt for that too.

SavannahNatural

texasqt said:
Here's my brief update but no new pic until March.

I messed up a little. For some reason I started shampooing more often and it really made my hair worse off. I don't know what I was thinking because I already knew it wasn't good for my hair. Shampoo thins my already thin hair and it dries it out which leads to more breakage. And it doesn't matter what shampoo I use.

On the upside, it appears my hair is still growing and I don't have to cut right now. I'm getting back on track with my routine and hopefully my hair will thicken for my March photos.

I know you said it doesn't matter what shampoo you use, but maybe try a non-lathering shampoo like the mud/clay washes. I have no experience with your specific problem, however I just purchased and tried Terressentials and felt like it left my hair clean and nourished.

I'm curious, what are you currently using to clarify with?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

GIJane

I've no advice but sending lots of positive hair vibes :yep:. Fingers crossed there will be no setback.

I'm hoping that it acted like a clarifying shampoo. I pray I didn't set back my hair. Especially since I kept cutting and cutting at it since November. My roommate had already took my scissors from me because she said I have already cut enough off. I have been dusting at least twice a month since November. Dusting can be so addictive. Every time she did my braids I would trim. So now I have no scissors and I might have did some type of damage to my hair. So lets just hope it acts like a clarifying shampoo.

esi.adokowa

For 2012, I'm going to keep it simple.
-i will reach bsl with blunt ends
-i will stretch my relaxer for a year (until august)
-i will stick to my regimen & staple products
-i will be an active member of the challenges i join
-i will not neglect my hair when life gets busy

these were my goals for 2012.
i'm not doing so well haha.
i may reach bsl, and i haven't deviated from my staples.
but i've completely changed my relaxer schedule and i started neglecting my hair once midterms started.
i also haven't been as active in challenges as i could have been.

is anyone else falling short of their hair goals for this year?

Evolving78

but i've completely changed my relaxer schedule and i started neglecting my hair once midterms started.

i started trying to do too much to my hair and now i am paying for it, but now i am going back to basics.

NikkiQ

I'm still hiding my hair like planned, but everything else has changed lol. My reggie is more simplified. I used to poo and DC weekly, but my hair doesn't really need it so it's been stretched to 2 weeks and recently 4 weeks. I may stick with 2 weeks instead of the 4. Hair seems to be responding well. I haven't found all of my staples yet, but I have found my leave in staple which I am SO tickled about!! Garnier's sleek and shine intense smoothing leave in cream. Abso-freakin love this stuff! Nothing has ever given me this amount of slip before.

diadall

I colored my hair this morning. Stretched it to about one inch from.APL.

The front is below my chin. My.ultimate goal is APL in the front and BSL in the back.

TheNDofUO

I thought I would be APL by April. Now I think September is more likely. If even.

coolsista-paris

NikkiQ said:
I'm still hiding my hair like planned, but everything else has changed lol. My reggie is more simplified. I used to poo and DC weekly, but my hair doesn't really need it so it's been stretched to 2 weeks and recently 4 weeks. I may stick with 2 weeks instead of the 4. Hair seems to be responding well. I haven't found all of my staples yet, but I have found my leave in staple which I am SO tickled about!! Garnier's sleek and shine intense smoothing leave in cream. Abso-freakin love this stuff! Nothing has ever given me this amount of slip before.

Can you show.me.the pic. ? Here in france the stores.are.full.of garnier.i wonder which one you have.

faithVA

I hope all of these gray hairs means my hair grew 1/2 inch already. I swear I just put henna in a few weeks ago. :nono: I think I will just stay gray until its length check time.

Fyne

**Warning positive vibes post**

@Aggie I like this idea, the next time I have a day off work I may need to baby my hair. How often do you do this hair spa?

@GIJane Try not to worry, I have done this I had shampoo and water on the verge of entering my eyes so I reached out and grabbed my Dove moisturizing soap bar instead of shampoo bar:lachen:. The worst that may happen is your hair might feel drier than usual. The length of my hair was fine but my scalp became dry. I just cowashed with an oil rinse a few days later.

@esi.adokowa sometimes life gets in the way lmao and its ok for plans to change. As far as goals I give myself plenty of time so that I dont feel let down. I believe 70% of our HHJ is a waiting game.

i started trying to do too much to my hair and now i am paying for it, but now i am going back to basics.

shortdub78 - There are so many things I want to try to do to my hair, but for fear of a setback, if only I could 'strand test' life. :lol: I have decided to color rinse my hair on TU day though.

P.S Excellent progress!! Keep doing what your doing! I dare say we may have our next APL grad by the reveal in March! :D

@TheNDofUO - Did you post pics of your TU or are you waiting for the March length check?

@NikkiQ How does it feel to meet the staple product! Its true what they say; once you try a product thats right you just know. :grin:

@kittenz Congrats on your milestone!! :D *Does the progress dance*

@newnyer Your hair is growing I assure you! :yep:

@faithVA @Poutchi @coolsista-paris @@blcbuty@ @longhairdreaming @diadall

This is officially my check in post, just wanted to share what my mum always says- 'Its easier to get to your destination when you are not alone and a 3hour drive can feel like 30mins with the right company' On this journey you ladies/lhcf in general are perfect company. (Its about to be March when did that happen??)

P.S Sooo sorry if I left anyone off/out but everyones in my thoughts! I'm on his thread daily. (multiple times looool)

:bighug: HHJ all x

GIJane

Fyne thanks for the advice and the positive vibes. I am currently taking my celie braids out. I left aussie moist in my hair. I also have mizami h20 intense. Just in case. I am going to put more celies and wear my wig.