APL 2012 Challenge

pookaloo83

-PYT said:
I want to use twists this summer to get to apl and to leave my hair alone also, but when will I have time to do them!

I want to do this too. But I don't wanna do my own hair. I wanted to do the puffy twists.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Poutchi

Twists lovers...do you know the nubian twists? i think I might use them as well this summer.
I took another section of my braids out...Now the braids can only be in a bun...I think I have started the take down process...Will probably take few more out next week end...Talk about a months long take down plan :)
Happy Monday to all

The Princess

NikkiQ said:
Went ahead and blew out my hair. Sorry it's not a great pic,but I've had a pretty rough day. My bestie that is getting married next week is dealin with the loss of her father this morning so I've been there with her and her family most of the day. I'll try to get a better picture later.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Dang your hair is super thick

lilyofthenile

:spank:

I've been bad, very bad. Not posting a length check pic at the beginning of April. Had to remove all my braids and I was also slacking on detangling my hair, it took an entire week (I did about two hours a day, things need to change :ohwell: ).

But here they are... the pics. Yeah they're not as great as I could have made the length check pics... didn't have anyone take pics like before. :look: But nonetheless, here they are.

The pics where I'm wearing a pink polka dot top was taken in the first week of January. The other set of pics with the blue were taken just today! I protective styled three months straight with yarn braids but I want to go back to protective styling and maybe to save myself the headache I'll do it for two months only b/c the detangling is serious work. :nono:

I don't know if I made progress. I feel like my hair doesn't grow. My mother and sister keep telling me my hair grows. The last pic is of my sister and she's grazing APL (she's the one who should really be in this challenge lol :ohwell: ) and she moisturises her hair if she remembers... doesn't deep condition, only uses four products, keeping it really simple! :perplexed: :ohwell: . She's my hairspiration!

Attachments

• lengthcheck2.jpg
    lengthcheck2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 23
  • lengthcheckpic copy.jpg
    lengthcheckpic copy.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo on 16-04-2012 at 11.40.jpg
    Photo on 16-04-2012 at 11.40.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo on 16-04-2012 at 11.38 #2.jpg
    Photo on 16-04-2012 at 11.38 #2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF35833.jpg
    DSCF35833.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 25

bludaydreamer

Nubian twists are amazing.

I am currently in celies pinned in a bun. My flat ironed hair was reverting from working out, so I just washed it out. I am moisturizing and sealing every other day. No damage, so that's good. #boringhair

kbragg

I'm diving in!

~Current hair length - Collarbone/shoulder length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - relaxed
~APL goal month - December
~Current Reggie and styling choices - daily moisture and seal, DC on dry hair 2xs per week, once with protein, once with moisture. Shampoo as needed. Air dry/no heat in wrap or rollerset. Styles: bun, pony tail, down for special occasions. Sulfur oil every other day.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Switched from natural to relaxed to eliminate knotting, breakage and long washing/styling sessions.

Attachments

• image-1123106161.jpg
    image-1123106161.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image-960074608.jpg
    image-960074608.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3160431778.jpg
    image-3160431778.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image-1237408147.jpg
    image-1237408147.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image-2199941305.jpg
    image-2199941305.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 34

NikkiQ

Sorry for your friends loss, What did u use for your blow out?

I washed, DC'd and detangled. Dried in twists overnight and then applied IC Fantasia's heat protectant before blowdrying in sections. It's slicked back in a pony puff right now under my wig. Didn't have the energy to do anything this morning to it.

Wow, Sorry to hear that NikkiQ. I can't even imagine the emotions she is going through, with the loss and the ensuing wedding. She is fortunate to have a friend like you with her though.

Thanks faithVA. Her and the family are doing fine. He didn't suffer and he is at peace now so we're going to make sure that this wedding goes smoothly this weekend as he wanted. I'm just praying that the funeral isn't right before the wedding. I think that will be too much for her to handle. But enough of the Debbie Downer. I'm sorry about that ladies. Just wanted to vent a little.

Dang your hair is super thick

:lol: thanks The Princess! It has it's pros and cons that's for sure. I washed and put my hair in twists early Saturday afternoon. I took them down yesterday after getting home around 6pm and they weren't dry all the way. I told my DH and he said "bae that's not good! you can get mildew in there!!!"

NikkiQ

I'm diving in!

~Current hair length - Collarbone/shoulder length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - relaxed
~APL goal month - December
~Current Reggie and styling choices - daily moisture and seal, DC on dry hair 2xs per week, once with protein, once with moisture. Shampoo as needed. Air dry/no heat in wrap or rollerset. Styles: bun, pony tail, down for special occasions. Sulfur oil every other day.
Switched from natural to relaxed to eliminate knotting, breakage and long washing/styling sessions.

It's about time you got up in here kbragg!! :giggle: Welcome to our funky bunch. Watch out for faithVA though. She's no joke with puttin people out once they hit APL.

NikkiQ

Man I got so much running through my head right now! I can't seem to focus on one thing for more than 5min these days. Our move date is coming up soon so I'm trying to figure out if I wanna go out and stock pile on hair products to take with me b/c I don't think they're gonna have a lot of what I want down there in PR. Plus shipping is a beast so I know ordering online will be limited. Sucks!!!

bludaydreamer

Ladies, does your bang/shorter layers have split ends? Most of my hair is split free, but the bang has horrendous splits. I had to cut an inch off. Me no likey.

Evolving78

Ladies, does your bang/shorter layers have split ends? Most of my hair is split free, but the bang has horrendous splits. I had to cut an inch off. Me no likey.

no i really don't get splits. i get withered ends that just break off. how are you moisturizing your shorter layers? you have to really go through your hair when trimming.

NikkiQ hugs and kisses to you and your friend.

kbragg hey lady! so glad for you to join us! we are really here for each other in this thread, so whatever you need, we got your back! being in here will help you reach your goal!

i couldn't find my scarf, so i slept with a cheap bonnet on and it dried my hair out. plus my hair was moving around in that thing.

BrownSkin89

Joining!!

~Current hair length
Full Shoulder length

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural - 4b/4c

~APL goal month
November 1st - my 2 yr nappiversary *laughs*

~Current Regimen and styling choices

Moisturized everyday w/ Shea butter mix & Care Free Curl moisturizer spray
Twice a month: Wash, deep condition, air dry. No heat whatsoever.
Style: protective - wigs
Low manipulation, sealing my ends & more fruits & vegetables. Plenty of water & remembering to take multivitamin
~Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image-951259444.jpg
    image-951259444.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image-1317081638.jpg
    image-1317081638.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 18

diadall

Braids, week 4.

I was trying for twelve weeks but I can't do it. What is a good length of time to wear them? 6,7,8 weeks? Longer?

ForumRunner_20120416_135652.jpg

Blairx0

hair type : 4 everything
hair state: natural
hair timeline: last relaxer 07/2010. beginning of journey 10/2010. Apl by September 2012.
hair growth rate
:.3 a month.
hair profile: takes about 2 days to dry. loves conditioner and leave ins. slow growth strong retention.
hair struggles: heavy, heavy shedding. currently taking garlic and being more gentle to combat this.
hair joys: oils of all kinds,deep conditioning with heat, low manipulation, and sun; My hair is solar powered
hair fears: I have never worn my naturally texture and once I fear I won't be able to do anything because of my own ignorance, drying time, etc. I am currently collecting products to try this summer and hope to have some ideas come fall.
Hair Regime: Deep condition weekly with yogurt mixture, AO HSR ,mixture,or whatever else. Moisturize every other day with Giovanni Direct, Darcy's leave-in or some oil. Seal ends with Castor oil daily. Baggy 3 times a week.

Attachments

• IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 16

faithVA

[USER=146212 said:
diadall[/USER];15731491]Braids, week 4.

I was trying for twelve weeks but I can't do it. What is a good length of time to wear them? 6,7,8 weeks? Longer?

View attachment 145749

I think they look really good. My hair only looks that good for the first 2 weeks :lol: Keep them as long as you can. Re-evaluate in another 2 weeks.

I usually only keep anything for 6 to 8 weeks. After that my roots grow out so much and start tangling its a big mess to keep them in longer.

Khaiya

Hello ladies! Goodness, there were so many new pages and new pics, an new challengers, I love it! Still in my twists, gonna see how long I can endure them before I have to wash. Gonna spritz my hair in the meantime with a - water, VO5 moisturizing condish, Aphogee 2 minute - mix. See if I can correct my protein imbalance b4 taking my twists down.

Poutchi

I usually am okay but something about this time getting them that makes me want to go back to my hair.

Imma shoot for one more month.
diadall... it is the hair journey demon... you keep thinking how you want to be giving more TLC to your hair but can't do as much because they are in braids :)... We will probably get the braids out at the same time, roughly ... I am pushing 4 months with mine now and i know it is only because I am busy like a single tooth in a mouth ( old african saying ...lol...just picture it) that I am not minding them as much

Khaiya

I was just looking over the thread about LadyPaniolo's Deep Moisture Regimen and i've decided to do small plaits in my hair instead of twists. The plaits will last longer since i can wash and DC with them in and it will still look fairly decent. To me, my twists start looking rough after a week or so, i wouldn't dream of washing and leaving them in for too long. Also plaits would minimize manipulation for me since i'd need to take them down less, we'll see.

livinthevida

Went ahead and blew out my hair. Sorry it's not a great pic,but I've had a pretty rough day. My bestie that is getting married next week is dealin with the loss of her father this morning so I've been there with her and her family most of the day. I'll try to get a better picture later.

View attachment 145655

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom
NikkiQ my deepest condolences to your friend this must be a challenging time for everyone with her Wedding planned next week.

I hope that your bestie finds great comfort and peace with her Family & Friends
:bighug:

livinthevida

Twists lovers...do you know the nubian twists? i think I might use them as well this summer.
I took another section of my braids out...Now the braids can only be in a bun...I think I have started the take down process...Will probably take few more out next week end...Talk about a months long take down plan :)
Happy Monday to all
Happy Monday Poutchi :)