APL 2012 Challenge

KaramelKutie803

I know my update is late & I have been inactive but my Internet was down. But here is my update for the month, not as much growth in the back as I'd like and also 2 pics of some twists that I did. My twists are finally touch my neck so I guess my hair IS growing. My twists can still use some work and I'm still not good at the concepts of twist outs but I'm working on it.

ManiiSweetheart

Here's a picture of my TBL box braids. There are only 40. I plan to keep these until ... The 28th in preparation for Prom!!
Thank goodness for my best friends extra charger until mine gets here:grin:

Attachments

• image-2171290531.jpg
    image-2171290531.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3174057954.jpg
    image-3174057954.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Evolving78

well i had a cotton ball size of hair that came from detangling. i hate when i find something that works, i do something different. it's late. i'm airdrying right now. once i get a touchup in May, i know i will be at my goal of APL. i don't think i will trim my ends yet. i might hold off.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

faithVA said:
Nice progress pookaloo83. So how close are you? Can't quite tell from the pic.

I don't know. I think I need another 2 inches maybe? My goal was for May but I think iveibt make it. So maybe August or September.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Blairx0

I really want to join in, but i dont know how to take a starting pic when I can't reach my hair in the back. i have a few front shots if the will suffice.

livinthevida

Could you believe it livinthevida, the stylist used KeraCare Creme Press and Thermal Protector. She did put a tiny bit of KeraCare leave-in first though. The leave-in and Thermal protector went on before she blow-dryed with a very good dryer called H2Pro something...

Then she put on a tiny bit of KC Creme Press to flat iron with a titanium H2Pro flat iron. OMG! I wanted to go out and buy that blow dryer and flat iron but I have so many tools already, it would be so wrong to add more. I will be getting them when the ones I have now are no longer working though:yep:.

It was as if those crazy knots that I had in my hair just melted away with these 2 tools. I really want to get them:drunk:. She didn't even spray any other shining product on my hair. In fact, she only used KeraCare products on my hair.
Very pretty Aggie! Thank goodness the stylist used one product line for the entire process rather a mix - match. I like consistency of using one group of hair products for hair care and your pictures show this really well! I love that shine :yep:

Are you going back to the stylist? If Yes how often?

To celebrate my HHJ! At 6 months I am going to a stylist for a trim (it is June for me)! Now that I am pretty good at caring for my hair I think I'll finally know exactly what to say :drunk: I have learned so much thanks to the ladies here I know I will be better prepared by then :lol:

Evolving78

i plan to cowash this coming tuesday in the shower since my cast is coming off! Yay! i am going to cowash more until my next touch up. my hair feels pretty decent right now. i think i might just moisturize and seal once daily instead of twice a day. i am trying out a product for sealing that i like so far. it's from Africa's Best Kids Organics. it's lighter than coconut oil. i still like my oil sheen too. my new growth is pretty flat too.

livinthevida

Thought my hair didn't really grow much then dug up an old pic. The first pic is from January and the second is from my length check this month.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
Now that's growth @pookaloo83!

The first pic looks like it's right about your collarbone and the second looks waaaaaaaay past that almost like grazing APL. Have you done anything new to your reggie since January?

Last edited:

livinthevida

I really want to join in, but i dont know how to take a starting pic when I can't reach my hair in the back. i have a few front shots if the will suffice.
Welcome Blairx0!

Some of us stretch a strand of hair to the front and take a quick pic and others take a pic of the back of their hair as is. I myself have posted pics both wet and dry and even after a trim.

Let's see your best shot! :yep:

livinthevida

well i had a cotton ball size of hair that came from detangling. i hate when i find something that works, i do something different. it's late. i'm airdrying right now. once i get a touchup in May, i know i will be at my goal of APL. i don't think i will trim my ends yet. i might hold off.
shortdub78 are you detangling when wet? Even when I used my wide tooth detangle comb on wet hair I noticed alot of breakage. Now that I do cool rinses I wait for my hair to air-dry then gently detangle with my comb and brush before applying OCO (Organic Coconut Oil). Since January I have a lot less hair coming off the top of this head :lol:

Evolving78

shortdub78 are you detangling when wet? Even when I used my wide tooth detangle comb on wet hair I noticed alot of breakage. Now that I do cool rinses I wait for my hair to air-dry then gently detangle with my comb and brush before applying OCO (Organic Coconut Oil). Since January I have a lot less hair coming off the top of this head :lol:

yep that's pretty much my issue. i used to detangling in the shower under the water. i will try that. i did last time and didn't lose a lot of hair.

livinthevida

My twist out from today. Did medium twists all week and hope to retain the hang for the remainder of the weekend.

Probably going to wash on Sunday or Monday and rock my french braids for the week. ( that's my p,an and I'm sticking to it :look:)

ETA: sorry they are turned the wrong way. I'll fix them in a few.
Nice hangtime @blcbuty@ :)

oooooooooOOOOOhhhh I really want to see how these come out when you do your twists later. Pretty pleaaaaazzee post a pic when done? :grin:

growbaby

so I took a shower this morning w/ the bf (dont worry, strictly a business shower :lol: -look it up) anywho im cowashing and he says "woah look at you tryna have long hair!" ..made morning.. then he proceeds to ask how long am i trying to grow it and tell me that some (a small few)hairs are already to my armpits (lead hairs maybe???) he knows that APL has been the goal since I started my HHJ in November 2011 so it makes me happy that he is getting just as excited as me begining to graze APL :spinning:Hopefully most of my hair will be there or grazing by our next check-in!:woot:

faithVA

so I took a shower this morning w/ the bf (dont worry, strictly a business shower :lol: -look it up) anywho im cowashing and he says "woah look at you tryna have long hair!" ..made morning.. then he proceeds to ask how long am i trying to grow it and tell me that some (a small few)hairs are already to my armpits (lead hairs maybe???) he knows that APL has been the goal since I started my HHJ in November 2011 so it makes me happy that he is getting just as excited as me begining to graze APL :spinning:Hopefully most of my hair will be there or grazing by our next check-in!:woot:

This entire post was hilarious. But congratulations on grazing :yep:

JazzyOleBabe

I cut about 1-1.5" of the ends of my hair yesterday. I beleive it was from my heat damage escapade back in March. Still at CBL but I'm a slow grower so I may not make it to APL by Dec. Hopefully I can get some length back during the summer. My hair really grows at that time of year.

-PYT

livinthevida I don't workout, sorry...my job makes me sweat enough though! :lol: my hair is too much of a job for me to rinse mid-week or anything so I just deal with it until wash day.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Ok so I know I'm a little late on my length check, but I didn't have much hope of making APL. My hair grows soo dang on slow it can get discouraging if I dwell on it. I'm still not sure if I'm there. If I am, it's just barely. So what ya'll think?

I think I still should give myself another couple of months to be certain, IDK.:ohwell:

diadall

StephElise said:
Ok so I know I'm a little late on my length check, but I didn't have much hope of making APL. My hair grows soo dang on slow it can get discouraging if I dwell on it. I'm still not sure if I'm there. If I am, it's just barely. So what ya'll think?

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_30/101_135/April-14-2012-010.jpg

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_30/101_135/April-14-2012-013.jpg

I think I still should give myself another couple of months to be certain, IDK.:ohwell:

I think my hair is like yours in that it looks longer with a layer down and shorter all down... I don't get that.

I think you are APL in photo 1.

livinthevida

I think my hair is like yours in that it looks longer with a layer down and shorter all down... I don't get that.

I think you are APL in photo 1.
StephElise I agree with diadall your hair is APL in picture # 1! Congratulations! :)

In picture # 1 and # 2 it only looks like the two sides on the outer end are shorter than the center part of your hair

NikkiQ

Went ahead and blew out my hair. Sorry it's not a great pic,but I've had a pretty rough day. My bestie that is getting married next week is dealin with the loss of her father this morning so I've been there with her and her family most of the day. I'll try to get a better picture later.

View attachment 2012-04-15 19.50.13.jpg

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

pookaloo83

NikkiQ said:
Went ahead and blew out my hair. Sorry it's not a great pic,but I've had a pretty rough day. My bestie that is getting married next week is dealin with the loss of her father this morning so I've been there with her and her family most of the day. I'll try to get a better picture later.

So sorry for your friend! That must be rough.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

pookaloo83

Washed, dc'd, and stretched in flexi rods for my braidout. I stretch via rollers now. Better that blow drying.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

lamaria211

NikkiQ said:

Sorry for your friends loss, What did u use for your blow out?

faithVA

Wow, Sorry to hear that NikkiQ. I can't even imagine the emotions she is going through, with the loss and the ensuing wedding. She is fortunate to have a friend like you with her though.

-PYT

I want to use twists this summer to get to apl and to leave my hair alone also, but when will I have time to do them!