Aphogee fused my frikkin hair!! Long story, come read!

*ElleB

Well, I decided to stop playing around and relli get on my hair care. As some many take note, that I'm new here. Anywhoo, I wash my 20 wk-post relaxer hair with Pantene's Pro-V's clarifying shampoo to get the gunk out. (And believe me, it WAS GUNKI-FIED!!) Then I applied the Aphogee. I bought the little single use packs, and Whoo! the SMELL, ugghh, like rotten cheetos or sumthin, but it wasn't overpowering. (Thank God) So I applied this and I worked it through with my hands, though the directions say comb it through (YEA RIGHT, not through my 20wks NG!!)(Damn when I think of it, that prolly done me in!) Then I proceeded to use my hand dryer to make it hard. When I rinsed it out I noticed that when it softened my hair was a freaking tangled mess!!!

I wanted to cry!! I'm pulling with my fingers, and it's freaking dread locks here!!!!! :eek: But I say, "You know what, ain't nothing my beloved Mane N Tail detanger can't handle." (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA) So I proceed to put on the Balancing moisturizer--two packs cuz my hair was bushy.. THis moisturizer smells yummy by the way, about 10 minutes later I rinsed it out and boy was my hair soft! This moisturizer is a goodun!:D :D
I rinsed that out and told myself, I better detangle now....And lordie lordie, y'all I saturated my hair with that detangler then proceed to comb...My comb laughed at that hair, only the front of my hair which is always str8 for some reason, relinquished to the detangler...the rest was a battle... I got some here and there til I came to this spot on the side where it was freaking fused like siamese twins...I combed, sprayed, combed, sprayed, combed, sprayed...Nuthin!! Now I was mad :mad: ...I marched angrily to my mom's room and said *gasp* "Where are the scissors??" Yes, ladies SCISSORS.... I went back to bathroom and gave that dang hair one last chance, but alas, it didn't relinquish, so I took the scissors and CUT IT OUT!!! Ironically all the hair I cut out was relaxed and the natural hair combed out like a well-behaved hair should do!!! WHen I was done with my attempt, I was upset. I deep conditioned with NTM recovery Mask, which is also fabulous!! Rinsed that and marched my defeated behind downstairs to the Dominican salon across the street! WHere the sage continued....

Poor lady! She tried combing it thru, and she must have changed the comb like 5 times!:lachen: :lachen: Then she went and got some leave-in from the closet and tried that....Anything to get my hair untangled..."then she Oh, mami....U want rollers??" And I could have laughed..I wanted to so bad..It was a lil embarrassing which is y it was funni to me...:lachen: .SO she rolled me up, and she was literally sweating combing out the sections! SHe said, "ooh, caliente!" after she got done with a section and went and cracked the door open, HAHAHA...SHe used larger sections too, lol....But when she blew my hair, out let me tell u she did her thang with that dryer...Got my hair feeling like I got a fresh relaxer!! Needless to say, I tipped her well. AND on the bright side, the APhogee actually worked...No more breakage...!! But....

I think I'm sprinting back to a relaxer...lol, sorry to say, a 5 month stretch was long enuff...ONe of my life's goals still is to wear my hair au natural, but when I reach my goal length which is mid-back--a few inches past bra-strap, i will cut my hair to my chin to go natural....Until then....I think I'm gonna relax...

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

LOL, :lachen: . Well atleast you found some amusement out of the whole ordeal. I was sitting on the edge of my seat, literally, I'm glad the end was a good one.:cool:
ETA: the tangles probably came from when you worked it through w/your hands instead of combing it through, next time try it the other way and see if you have better results. I normally comb mine through w/my head hanging so when i lift my head it's piled at the top as if I wanted to make a high ponytail, this way when I rinse it rinses out straight no tangle. ;)

Last edited:

*ElleB

BeautifulWideEyes said:
LOL, :lachen: . Well atleast you found some amusement out of the whole ordeal. I was sitting on the edge of my seat, literally, I'm glad the end was a good one.:cool:
ETA: the tangles probably came from when you worked it through w/your hands instead of combing it through, next time try it the other way and see if you have better results. I normally comb mine through w/my head hanging so when i lift my head it's piled at the top as if I wanted to make a high ponytail, this way when I rinse it rinses out straight no tangle. ;)

Oh yes! I think I did that to myself with the finger mushing...Thanks for the tip, I think I'm gonna try that next time! THe only downside is I have a lil one inch piece of hair on the side...:lol:

CinnaMocha

Dang Girl!

If aphogee ever does that to me I will have a total fit! So sorry to hear that you had to endure that. I wonder what it was about the aphogee that made your hair do that???? At least you had an alternative and that dominican lady worked you through it. If you do decide to use aphogee maybe you will have a better experince.

*ElleB

CinnaMocha said:
Dang Girl!

If aphogee ever does that to me I will have a total fit! So sorry to hear that you had to endure that. I wonder what it was about the aphogee that made your hair do that???? At least you had an alternative and that dominican lady worked you through it. If you do decide to use aphogee maybe you will have a better experince.

She was so great, girl, she didn't say a word! lol, Usually they would be trying to push a perm on you, but she didn't...And sat there and combed til it untangled, put more leave in....

beyondcute

I feel ya. I HATE aphogee. It made my hair hard and sticky. I will never use it again and to top it off it didnt do anythign fro the lil breakage I was getting. Im bette roff without it.

PinkAngel

I absolutely HATE Aphogee, it tangled my hair so bad it took 3-4 shampoos to get it back into shape. Therefore I haven't used it in years. I used the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer too, I have read that alot of ladies get better results using a different moisturizing conditioner ie. Nexxus, MNT etc. Maybe try a different conditioner next time.

*ElleB

beyondcute said:
I feel ya. I HATE aphogee. It made my hair hard and sticky. I will never use it again and to top it off it didnt do anythign fro the lil breakage I was getting. Im bette roff without it.

OT: Beyondcute, I have that same digi cam! lol

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Oh hell! Now you've scared me out of using my Aphogee. I've been putting it off (I bought the single pack also), but reading about your mishap will convince me not to do it...

*ElleB said:
Well, I decided to stop playing around and relli get on my hair care. As some many take note, that I'm new here. Anywhoo, I wash my 20 wk-post relaxer hair with Pantene's Pro-V's clarifying shampoo to get the gunk out. (And believe me, it WAS GUNKI-FIED!!) Then I applied the Aphogee. I bought the little single use packs, and Whoo! the SMELL, ugghh, like rotten cheetos or sumthin, but it wasn't overpowering. (Thank God) So I applied this and I worked it through with my hands, though the directions say comb it through (YEA RIGHT, not through my 20wks NG!!)(Damn when I think of it, that prolly done me in!) Then I proceeded to use my hand dryer to make it hard. When I rinsed it out I noticed that when it softened my hair was a freaking tangled mess!!!

I wanted to cry!! I'm pulling with my fingers, and it's freaking dread locks here!!!!! :eek: But I say, "You know what, ain't nothing my beloved Mane N Tail detanger can't handle." (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA) So I proceed to put on the Balancing moisturizer--two packs cuz my hair was bushy.. THis moisturizer smells yummy by the way, about 10 minutes later I rinsed it out and boy was my hair soft! This moisturizer is a goodun!:D :D
I rinsed that out and told myself, I better detangle now....And lordie lordie, y'all I saturated my hair with that detangler then proceed to comb...My comb laughed at that hair, only the front of my hair which is always str8 for some reason, relinquished to the detangler...the rest was a battle... I got some here and there til I came to this spot on the side where it was freaking fused like siamese twins...I combed, sprayed, combed, sprayed, combed, sprayed...Nuthin!! Now I was mad :mad: ...I marched angrily to my mom's room and said *gasp* "Where are the scissors??" Yes, ladies SCISSORS.... I went back to bathroom and gave that dang hair one last chance, but alas, it didn't relinquish, so I took the scissors and CUT IT OUT!!! Ironically all the hair I cut out was relaxed and the natural hair combed out like a well-behaved hair should do!!! WHen I was done with my attempt, I was upset. I deep conditioned with NTM recovery Mask, which is also fabulous!! Rinsed that and marched my defeated behind downstairs to the Dominican salon across the street! WHere the sage continued....

Poor lady! She tried combing it thru, and she must have changed the comb like 5 times!:lachen: :lachen: Then she went and got some leave-in from the closet and tried that....Anything to get my hair untangled..."then she Oh, mami....U want rollers??" And I could have laughed..I wanted to so bad..It was a lil embarrassing which is y it was funni to me...:lachen: .SO she rolled me up, and she was literally sweating combing out the sections! SHe said, "ooh, caliente!" after she got done with a section and went and cracked the door open, HAHAHA...SHe used larger sections too, lol....But when she blew my hair, out let me tell u she did her thang with that dryer...Got my hair feeling like I got a fresh relaxer!! Needless to say, I tipped her well. AND on the bright side, the APhogee actually worked...No more breakage...!! But....

I think I'm sprinting back to a relaxer...lol, sorry to say, a 5 month stretch was long enuff...ONe of my life's goals still is to wear my hair au natural, but when I reach my goal length which is mid-back--a few inches past bra-strap, i will cut my hair to my chin to go natural....Until then....I think I'm gonna relax...

*ElleB

bklynwildheart said:
Oh hell! Now you've scared me out of using my Aphogee. I've been putting it off (I bought the single pack also), but reading about your mishap will convince me not to do it...

I didn't mean to scare u,lol, but I think if you do it, don't work it in with ur hands...Apply it and try to comb it through...Cuz I noticed that my hair was sooo curly when I was drying, and that happens when you scrunch the hair, and we all know how you scrunch....

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I always imagine the worst scenario with any situation. One of these days, I won't be such a scaredy cat and I'll use it. :lol:

*ElleB said:
I didn't mean to scare u,lol, but I think if you do it, don't work it in with ur hands...Apply it and try to comb it through...Cuz I noticed that my hair was sooo curly when I was drying, and that happens when you scrunch the hair, and we all know how you scrunch....

*ElleB

bklynwildheart said:
I always imagine the worst scenario with any situation. One of these days, I won't be such a scaredy cat and I'll use it. :lol:

Despite my traumatic episode, IT WORKS! :D

But damn, I don't think I'll be using it again..I'll prolly just use prods with protein in them or a reconstructor.

Hair Peace

bklynwildheart said:

You ain't the only one! I just bought a pack today too! :nono:

qtgirl

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I always comb it through and I rinse my hair like 3 or 4 times so that my hair doesn't even feel hard anymore just "strengthened" then I follow with a good THICK deep conditioner (not their recommended one it's too runny) I keep that on for at least 15 min with heat or 30 min w/o heat, then rinse that out. If you ever try it again, I'd try it that way and see what happens.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your blow-out though. :)

*ElleB

qtgirl said:
I'm sorry that happened to you.

I always comb it through and I rinse my hair like 3 or 4 times so that my hair doesn't even feel hard anymore just "strengthened" then I follow with a good THICK deep conditioner (not their recommended one it's too runny) I keep that on for at least 15 min with heat or 30 min w/o heat, then rinse that out. If you ever try it again, I'd try it that way and see what happens.

I'm glad you had a good experience with your blow-out though. :)

I actually liked their moisturizer, it smells good, it softened my hair and to me it was on the thick cream side...

Lady_Lioness

When I do an aphogee treatment...I usually detangle b4 applying the treatment...and then once the treatment is on...i comb my hair through (like what everyone else suggested)...maybe next time you should try detangling your hair b4 applying the treatment?

Don't give up on it...especially since it worked 4 u...just take your time and detangle b4 applying it...that should do the trick.

Trini"T"

I had to give up on Aphogee for Damaged Hair:ohwell: Don't get me wrong...it works. HOWEVER, Aphogee and 4a/b new growth do not mix. All I got was a tangled mess. Ooo and when my hair was dry...I had a dry, hard, tangled, matted mess. :lol::lol: I actually had a huge knot in my head. I refused to lose any hair though so I stood in the bathroom for hours trying to detangle and it was well worth it. Also, the way it makes my hair feel when it is wet makes it impossible to comb my hair. I now use the Aphogee 2-min. Keratin reconstructor...I'm happy with it:)

TCatt86

Yeah the Keratin Reconstructor works well, I use that every other week, it make my hair feel nice and soft.

*ElleB

iiBlackBarbieii said:
I had to give up on Aphogee for Damaged Hair:ohwell: Don't get me wrong...it works. HOWEVER, Aphogee and 4a/b new growth do not mix. All I got was a tangled mess. Ooo and when my hair was dry...I had a dry, hard, tangled, matted mess. :lol::lol: I actually had a huge knot in my head.

U hit the nail right on the HEAD! With my hair texture of NG, no way! Neither was I going to try to detangle that mess before either, lol...SO I will do the Keratin Reconstructor next time...Now that I get the results I wanted from the treatment, it stopped the breakage, but my hair needs more work. I can't undo years of damage with one treatment...It's till dry and brittle. Plus, I hear ppl with horror stories of protein overload, so one heavy protein is enuff for me....

melodee

My hair is fine and prone to fusing as yours did w/ Aphogee. I make sure to follow my Aphogee treatments with a Deep Conditioner for mositure (under the dryer if you can stand it). And yes, rinse like fifty times to ensure its out.

Emergencee is a nice alternative. You can use it as you would Aphogee, under the dryer w/o a cap until it gets stiff. The rinse out is MUCH easier and the hair is strengthened nicely.

*ElleB

melodee said:
My hair is fine and prone to fusing as yours did w/ Aphogee. I make sure to follow my Aphogee treatments with a Deep Conditioner for mositure (under the dryer if you can stand it). And yes, rinse like fifty times to ensure its out.

Emergencee is a nice alternative. You can use it as you would Aphogee, under the dryer w/o a cap until it gets stiff. The rinse out is MUCH easier and the hair is strengthened nicely.

I tried Emergencee b4, and nothing :( sorry to say...ANd it costs more than APhogee too...

Divine Inspiration

Hmmm..sorry to hear about your experience. That sucks...

but this is why I do light protein every other week, so I never have to do a the mega protein.

Now that you've got your hair on track, you can probably stick to periodically doing the light stuff.