Aphogee & Braids

leontyneb

I am getting braids next Friday and I will be 6 weeks post of a relaxer. I would like to know should I do an Aphogee treatment this weekend? I just realized that I did my last Aphogee treatment February 26, 2005. Will this be too close because the directions on the bottle say every 6 weeks or should I just wait till after the braids are taking out to do the Aphogee treatment?

I would say get the aphoghee treatment before your braids. I wish I had done it before my last set of braids as I had a lot of breakage.

Anyway, you can do a heavy protein every 4-6 weeks or longer. As your hair will be in braids (I don't know how long for) I personally would do the treatment and then just keep your hair moisturised (lots of braid spray while you have them in.

I would not do a heavy protein before braiding but rather do a good moisturizing treatment and then braid. Do the heavy protein after removing braids and before relaxing again.

leontyneb said:
Would anything happen if I did the Aphogee treatment before the braids?

I don't know that anything bad would happen, just seems that MOISTURE is more important when going into braids. Just shairing would I would do.

leontyneb said:
I am getting braids next Friday and I will be 6 weeks post of a relaxer. I would like to know should I do an Aphogee treatment this weekend? I just realized that I did my last Aphogee treatment February 26, 2005. Will this be too close because the directions on the bottle say every 6 weeks or should I just wait till after the braids are taking out to do the Aphogee treatment?

Leontyneb,

I would get the protein treatment before the braids. Here's why.

Before I took my braids out, I had breakage. I could see where the breakage was at the front especially because I had little hairs sticking up and out where the hair had broken off while my hair was in the braids.

So, I ask, what is the point of getting an aphoghee treatment or Nexxus treatment or whatever after braids when your hair has already broken off?

The whole point of getting a protein treatment is to prevent breakage. You can't salvage hair that has already broken off because it's too late. :look:

Besides, there is no reason why you can't do a moisturising treatment after your heavy protein treatment.

This is just my advice from past experience with my hair but it's your choice whatever you decide. :)

i do a protein+ deep condition before braiding my hair for a sew in, and 6-8 weeks later when i take it out.....i do another treatment.

my hair is doing alot better and there is less breakage then when i dont do a protein at all before braids

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Leontyneb,

I would get the protein treatment before the braids. Here's why.

Before I took my braids out, I had breakage. I could see where the breakage was at the front especially because I had little hairs sticking up and out where the hair had broken off while my hair was in the braids.

So, I ask, what is the point of getting an aphoghee treatment or Nexxus treatment or whatever after braids when your hair has already broken off?

The whole point of getting a protein treatment is to prevent breakage. You can't salvage hair that has already broken off because it's too late. :look:

Besides, there is no reason why you can't do a moisturising treatment after your heavy protein treatment.

This is just my advice from past experience with my hair but it's your choice whatever you decide. :)

because of where the breakage was, i would attribute that more to the braids being too tight vs. not having enough protein. if it was for lack of protein, i would think the breakage would be throughout your hair, not just in the front.

i personally would do the moisture before, not protein... or at least not Aphogee. i'm not a fan of Aphogee anyway. so my opinion is a little biased... :look:

adrienne0914 said:
because of where the breakage was, i would attribute that more to the braids being too tight vs. not having enough protein. if it was for lack of protein, i would think the breakage would be throughout your hair, not just in the front.

i personally would do the moisture before, not protein... or at least not Aphogee. i'm not a fan of Aphogee anyway. so my opinion is a little biased... :look:

Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for your post but......maybe my post wasn't clear. When I said that I could see breakage at the front I did not mean just the front. I had breakage all over. No the braids were not too tight. I don't wear tight braids. I have no problem telling the braider to take out the hair if she braided too tight.

There are several different heavy protein treatments on the market, not just aphoghee, if you noticed I mentioned Nexxus:look:

Also, I think I know my hair more than anybody else would. My hair needed protein and since I was on holiday when I got the braids done last year I didn't have access to the aphoghee treatment or else I would have used it before I had the braids put it.

Anyway, since your opinion is a little biased it would have helped if you suggested a different protein treatment:look:

Personally I would do aphoghee and then do a moisture treatment as well.

Also, since I have been using aphoghee treatment for the past 11 years I think I should know.;)

Last edited:
adrienne0914 said:

Hey Adrienne (always good to hear from the LHCF Queen)!

As someone who braided professionally during my undergrad years, I've braided ALOT of heads with a wide variety of braids and styles and IMO, the number one reason for breakage with braids is during removal where the braids have been attached very tight. Indeed, even if braids are not initially tight, if left in long enough, the roots will "mat up" and extreme care must be used when removing. But that's just my experience.

I simply would not do a hard protein on myself, nor would I recommend it before I braided someone's hair because of the "hardness" of the protein, especially aphogee, and then the tremendous manipulation of braiding. The combination of hardening AND manipulation would be too much stress, at least for me. I always do a moisture treatment on myself and recommend that for others right before braiding. I do the hard protein for strenght when I go into relaxers. . . .

But as we like to say on this board, different things work for different people . . .

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for your post but......maybe my post wasn't clear. When I said that I could see breakage at the front I did not mean just the front. I had breakage all over. No the braids were not too tight. I don't wear tight braids. I have no problem telling the braider to take out the hair if she braided too tight.

There are several different heavy protein treatments on the market, not just aphoghee, if you noticed I mentioned Nexxus:look:

Also, I think I know my hair more than anybody else would. My hair needed protein and since I was on holiday when I got the braids done last year I didn't have access to the aphoghee treatment or else I would have used it before I had the braids put it.

Anyway, since your opinion is a little biased it would have helped if you suggested a different protein treatment:look:

Personally I would do aphoghee and then do a moisture treatment as well.

Also, since I have been using aphoghee treatment for the past 11 years I think I should know.;)
yeah, maybe your post wasn't clear, but like you said, you should know. just giving my opinion. feel free to disregard if it does not apply to you... :cool:

i didn't give a protein treatment recommendation for prior to braids because i personally still don't think it's necessary. but that's just me...

adrienne0914 said:
yeah, maybe your post wasn't clear, but like you said, you should know. just giving my opinion. feel free to disregard if it does not apply to you... :cool:

i didn't give a protein treatment recommendation for prior to braids because i personally still don't think it's necessary. but that's just me...

But as we like to say on this board, different things work for different people . . ...

Maybe you missed this the first time......here it is once again

adrienne0914 said:

I agree. I think the BEST thing about this board is the respect we give one another's experience and opinions, even if we don't agree. That is why I keep coming back . . .

Back