Anyone Still Use Afroveda?

sparkle25

I know they are old school, but I'm going to try a bunch of Ayurvedic products to see how my hair likes it. I'm not a mixtress so I'm not finna make nothing. Afroveda is super old but I never see anyone talk about the products anymore. Any news?

Sorry for flooding the board with my pesky little questions. Those that have been around here for a long time know I do this every few years :)

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
If you try the products, will you please give reviews? I love the name and what it means, and I would have loved to try her products. I was sufficiently scared off by the drama.

I'm no mixtress either (yet ;) ), so I've been getting products with ayurvedic ingredients from sellers like Jakeala on Etsy.com. Her customer service and product consistency are on point from my experience. Shipping is sloooooow because she is still working to find the right, new assistant as of the last time I communicated with her. However, I'm always glad I ordered once the products arrive.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Definitely buy from Hattache so you actually receive your products.

I know they are old school, but I'm going to try a bunch of Ayurvedic products to see how my hair likes it. I'm not a mixtress so I'm not finna make nothing. Afroveda is super old but I never see anyone talk about the products anymore. Any news?

Sorry for flooding the board with my pesky little questions. Those that have been around here for a long time know I do this every few years :)

Yes you do. I be like, "Where is @sparkle25?" Then bam! :lol:

sparkle25

If you try the products, will you please give reviews? I love the name and what it means, and I would have loved to try her products. I was sufficiently scared off by the drama.

I'm no mixtress either (yet ;) ), so I've been getting products with ayurvedic ingredients from sellers like Jakeala on Etsy.com. Her customer service and product consistency are on point from my experience. Shipping is sloooooow because she is still working to find the right, new assistant as of the last time I communicated with her. However, I'm always glad I ordered once the products arrive.

I got some products from Jakeala. I didn't like any of them EXCEPT for a whipped butter with the Ayurvedic herbs in them. My hair doesn't like oils and butters too much, they just sit on top of my hair and make it greasy, but the product I got from her while it is greasy, it's is also softening and I feel like its strengthening my ends. I haven't had hardly any breakage ever since I started using it. Well it could be that or it could be the protein DCs I used but either way I'm going to start using the Ayurvedic stuff to see if that's doing the trick.

I didn't know about any Afroveda drama but I'm sure going to look it up now lol. I most certainly will post a review because Im on my way buy some stuff from the website MileHighDiva suggested right now. Brb ..... Lol

naturalfinally

I use their Pur Whipped Hair Gelly. It's one of the only curling puddings that work on my fine hair without weighing it down. The only negative to this is it does NOT play well with other products. You need to test mixing them in your hand before you put it in your hair. It will ball up and create a mess with some stuff. If I'm using the Afroveda As my styler I can only use Taliaha Waijiid as my leave in conditioner.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I love the coco latte. I've used it for years because the jar has lasted me that long. I'm down to the last corner and will order again later this year. I have enough to keep me busy for now.
@divachyk
I love this one too.:love: And the Shea Amla one as well.

Great Buttas' but for some reason I just don't purchase them?

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I still use AfroVeda buttercreams; used some last night to twist.

The owner's business practices are a hot stinking mess but the buttercreams are excellent.
They are concentrated like Qhemet Biologic's butters but provide hold and aren't greasy. When I use Afroveda's buttercreams I do not have to moisturize/add product for a week. They last for years as @divachyck mentioned. I store mine in the freezer. Oh, I can even use it to moisturize straight styles and roller sets without reversion.

All the buttercreams incorporate Ashwagandha, Amla, Bhringaraj, Brahmi, Neem Leaf Extract, Mustard seed oil, and Nettle. Curl Define butter adds Bay leaf extract. The Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter adds Bay and Horsetail extract.

The Curl Define Buttercream smells exactly like Oyin Handmade's Honey Hemp conditioner. It is the lightest butter.
Cocoa Latte smells like Starbuck's White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino. It is a very smooth butter.
Pur Whipped Hair Gelly is not really a gel. It's a vanilla (not candy/cake; the actual bean) scented whipped pudding/cream hybrid.
Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter smells like ginger essential oil. It has a dry, "cream hairdress" texture like Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic.
The Hempseed lock Twist and Roll Butter is the heaviest butter. It has a raw cookie dough/Elmer's school paste texture.

Heads up - Hempseed Lock Twist and Roll Butter & Shea Amla Whipped Buttercream are scented with Frankincense and Myrrh. If you don't like the scent of Nubian Heritage/ Sheamoisture Raw Shea Butter line stay away.

I currently have Cocoa Latte, Hemp Seed Lock Twist and Roll Butter, and Shea Amla Whipped Buttercream left in my stash.

sparkle25

I still use AfroVeda buttercreams; used some last night to twist.

The owner's business practices are a hot stinking mess but the buttercreams are excellent.
They are concentrated like Qhemet Biologic's butters but provide hold and aren't greasy. When I use Afroveda's buttercreams I do not have to moisturize/add product for a week. They last for years as @divachyck mentioned. I store mine in the freezer. Oh, I can even use it to moisturize straight styles and roller sets without reversion.

All the buttercreams incorporate Ashwagandha, Amla, Bhringaraj, Brahmi, Neem Leaf Extract, Mustard seed oil, and Nettle. Curl Define butter adds Bay leaf extract. The Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter adds Bay and Horsetail extract.

The Curl Define Buttercream smells exactly like Oyin Handmade's Honey Hemp conditioner. It is the lightest butter.
Cocoa Latte smells like Starbuck's White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino. It is a very smooth butter.
Pur Whipped Hair Gelly is not really a gel. It's a vanilla (not candy/cake; the actual bean) scented whipped pudding/cream hybrid.
Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter smells like ginger essential oil. It has a dry, "cream hairdress" texture like Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic.
The Hempseed lock Twist and Roll Butter is the heaviest butter. It has a raw cookie dough/Elmer's school paste texture.

Heads up - Hempseed Lock Twist and Roll Butter & Shea Amla Whipped Buttercream are scented with Frankincense and Myrrh. If you don't like the scent of Nubian Heritage/ Sheamoisture Raw Shea Butter line stay away.

I currently have Cocoa Latte, Hemp Seed Lock Twist and Roll Butter, and Shea Amla Whipped Buttercream left in my stash.
Excellent review! Not having to moisturize for a week sounds like what I am looking for! Did you also find the qhemet burdock root butter cream greasy or is it just me and FaithVA? I think everything is greasy and I know she doesn't like oils and butters either, so sometimes I wonder if I'm just being overly picky.

Do they all have hold? I don't need hold for my hair because I don't wear it out for the time being. I would prefer just moisture without greasiness, so which one would you suggest for the likes of me? Thank you so much!

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Excellent review! Not having to moisturize for a week sounds like what I am looking for! Did you also find the qhemet burdock root butter cream greasy or is it just me and FaithVA? I think everything is greasy and I know she doesn't like oils and butters either, so sometimes I wonder if I'm just being overly picky.

Do they all have hold? I don't need hold for my hair because I don't wear it out for the time being. I would prefer just moisture without greasiness, so which one would you suggest for the likes of me? Thank you so much!

@sparkle25

I have (and love) Qhemet's entire line. Yes the Burdock Root Butter Cream can get greasy real quick. It's the castor oil in it. Qhemet's Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee or Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee are the lightest products in that line. I'm low-porosity but have relatively coarse strands with high density and shrinkage (from hips to above ears). The grease keeps my hair from matting.

If you want pure moisture, no hold get AfroVeda Cocoa Latte Moisture mask or AfroVeda Curl Define Buttercreams.